Interviews with key AAA Prospects and a manager

NorthSideSox72

While I was in Charlotte, I got to interview four prospects with the Knights (Trayce Thompson, Erik Johnson, Matt Davidson, Jason Coats) and their manager (Joel Skinner). Read the highlights here - really interesting to get THEIR views on some things, especially as three of them are having comebacks of different sorts. Some answers were canned, but others were revealing.

You may notice an odd exchange with Erik Johnson in there. The description doesn't do it justice. The takeaway is this - Erik is a very intense and serious guy. That isn't a good or bad thing - just very different than the laid back Davidson, or talkative Thompson.

Fascinating to see the personalities on all these guys.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
You may notice an odd exchange with Erik Johnson in there. The description doesn't do it justice. The takeaway is this - Erik is a very intense and serious guy. That isn't a good or bad thing - just very different than the laid back Davidson, or talkative Thompson.

Great stuff, as always. It seemed like Erik was reading more into that question than you intended (hitting? what have you heard? am I being traded? are they moving me to catcher?)

I was looking for a question to Trayce about Klay Thompson. I'm sure he gets asked about him a lot, but it's cool that Klay is dominating this year and the Warriors are poised for a deep run in the NBA playoffs. Again, he probably appreciated the focus remaining on him.

Great stuff.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 7, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Thompson seems like a really sharp guy. Can't take too much from a handful of questions but very aware and objective when looking at himself. Refreshing.

I am disappointed you didn't let Jason Coats know you're his number one fan haha. Good stuff as always Matt.

lol, funny story that one... I wasn't going to interview Coats because we'd interviewed him before (danman31 a couple years ago, he is also a fan). I was standing there in the clubhouse after the game, had just gotten there as Seth Lakso was finishing his interview with Carlos Sanchez. The two of us were going to talk with Chris Beck next - but he took off quick after the game and refused press. So I'm standing there, and Coats literally almost walks into me, so I just said hey, mind if I ask a few questions? And he was happy to.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
Great stuff, as always. It seemed like Erik was reading more into that question than you intended (hitting? what have you heard? am I being traded? are they moving me to catcher?)

I was looking for a question to Trayce about Klay Thompson. I'm sure he gets asked about him a lot, but it's cool that Klay is dominating this year and the Warriors are poised for a deep run in the NBA playoffs. Again, he probably appreciated the focus remaining on him.

Great stuff.

lol, EJ the catcher.

I very intentionally did not ask him about his brother. Everyone asks him that - everyone. I wanted to focus on him, and I prefer to ask questions that are either more prospect-focused (skills, goals, etc.) or are unique and don't get asked by the mainstream press (like, how a pitcher hits, lol).

Similarly, as you'll see tomorrow, I did not ask Brett Austin about Carlos Rodon. Same reason.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
I very intentionally did not ask him about his brother. Everyone asks him that - everyone. I wanted to focus on him, and I prefer to ask questions that are either more prospect-focused (skills, goals, etc.) or are unique and don't get asked by the mainstream press (like, how a pitcher hits, lol).

I figured as much and I can totally see how that line of questioning could be exhausting for him and actually undermine the purpose of your interview (Ohhhh another Klay question, yeah this guy isn't a serious baseball guy - I better give him the cliche answers or else he won't understand etc...)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)

Good stuff.

I was gonna say, based off that interview, EJ seems a little tense. But you like you said that's not a good thing or a bad thing, and I'm sure it would be boring if every guy was the affable, talkative type.

I'm a big fan of Coats, so good to see his perspective on things.