5/10 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 10, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Need Johnson to get back on track today. The velocity has been promising, but his control has been pretty bad the last few starts.

Overthrowing?

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ May 10, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
So far for the season Danish is at 31.33 IP 33 K 8 BB. Not bad for a 20 year old in AA.

Much of his success comes from his arm angle and deception against RH hitters. This really shows in his splits. LH hitters have over an 850 OPS against him and are hitting .314. This could pose greater problems when he gets to the MLB.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 10, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
Much of his success comes from his arm angle and deception against RH hitters. This really shows in his splits. LH hitters have over an 850 OPS against him and are hitting .314. This could pose greater problems when he gets to the MLB.

That will definitely be a big obstacle to him making the last steps to the bigs. I'm guessing he'll be focused on the change going forward.

Rather disappointed in seeing EJohnson slipping in these past couple performances - needs to get it going again.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 10, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
At least the strikeouts are there, unlike last year

Yep, the scouting says a return of the 2013 velocity and sharper slider.

Hope that's still the case. We never knew how he lost it in the first place.In the meantime I'm losing confidence that he's a potential Danks or Noesi replacement.Still early though.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 11, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Trayce Thompson in the midst of his inevitable statistical collapse.

I have enjoyed following Johnson this year. Given the comments from Hahn and other members of the FO, it's very clear to me that they have doubts about his mental make up. On that note, despite Charlotte being a hitter friendly stadium (even if overstated a bit around these parts), he has been dominant at home and garbage on the road. Either way, he's pitching better than his ERA indicates and if he gets his walk rate down he certainly has a shot at a MLB future. He does remind me of Gavin Floyd, and I hate comps of convenience, due to his current career trajectory and makeup.

On Thompson, he wasn't going to hit like that all year, especially with the K's. But I do think he's made strides.

On Johnson, the highlighted part, I think his issues are at least partly mental, so not a huge surprise in his case.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 11, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
I'd be calling for Thompson's crash ever since the second week of the season. High BABIP, high K% and low BB%. What differences did you see/hear about in his game?

Changed his hands, much looser in the stance. Swing when I saw it, in BP but also game, was much smoother and more consistent than what I saw previously on film. I don't have the data, but some folks there claimed he was working longer counts. Also something he talked about, and others did as well, is that he didn't seem to be giving away at bats like he did last year.

Also, just seeing him hit in person, the carry off his bat was special. He doesn't look like he has a ton of bat speed, but I think that's the long limbs illusion, because the ball just rocketed off his bat.

I would expect a higher BABIP this year because he is hitting the ball hard more often. The K rate is actually down to 23.3% now, lower than in any full season he's had I think (though still not very low). 11 of his 32 hits are XBH. Honestly the only surprising thing to me is the low walk rate, about half what he had last year, so yeah that's a concern. But even with a recent slump, guy is still hitting .283, and his Iso SLG is .169 which is a little higher than last year.

And he's doing all this at a new level with better pitching. I think he's made real strides.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 11, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)
It's interesting what you saw in person but I am not changing my opinion about Thompson because of any of the measures above. It's important to note that the relationship between higher line drive rates producing higher BABIP's is not static. All line drives are not created equal. Not only that, but we can't be sure he is hitting the ball harder when we don't have batted ball statistics for the minor leagues. The relationship between Thompson's BABIP and his batting average have been very strong throughout his career. Meaning any regression from a league average BABIP (where he's roughly been throughout his career) has equaled a similar regression to his .240 career batting average.

As of toady, he's been better in many respects as you pointed out, but his batting average will fall and his power/defense will ultimately decide whether he is MLB piece.

It's all opinion of course. I think his average may stay pretty close to where it is, and I'd suggest it is his average, walks and contact rate that will, at this point, dictate his future. The power and defense are already there, save for some maturation of the tools. So is the speed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2015 -> 03:33 AM)
It's all opinion of course. I think his average may stay pretty close to where it is, and I'd suggest it is his average, walks and contact rate that will, at this point, dictate his future. The power and defense are already there, save for some maturation of the tools. So is the speed.

i am glad you mention this, i sometime wondering, the way some of the posters have posted, on lack of offense, if they know what they would like. it is a rarity that a player will come that provides both power and defense. now come the the special something that most overlooks.

the avg. before, more of a specific time, the acquiring of Dunn, that time in baseball, it appears to me, the clubs will sacrifice both defense and avg, if the power is there. so will teams, more specifically the sox, what will be ignored to acquire that next prospects, or in this case, to develop.

checklist, Davidson, subject

1. power - yes

2. defense for the position - yes ---- 2.5 is it passable - ??

3. hitting for avg --- no

would you consider him still a prospect for the sox???

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ May 12, 2015 -> 06:28 AM)
i am glad you mention this, i sometime wondering, the way some of the posters have posted, on lack of offense, if they know what they would like. it is a rarity that a player will come that provides both power and defense. now come the the special something that most overlooks.

the avg. before, more of a specific time, the acquiring of Dunn, that time in baseball, it appears to me, the clubs will sacrifice both defense and avg, if the power is there. so will teams, more specifically the sox, what will be ignored to acquire that next prospects, or in this case, to develop.

checklist, Davidson, subject

1. power - yes

2. defense for the position - yes ---- 2.5 is it passable - ??

3. hitting for avg --- no

would you consider his still a prospect for the sox???

Yes he is. I'm just not super-confident about his chances to be a starting regular.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
Yes he is. I'm just not super-confident about his chances to be a starting regular.

thanks for your honesty, however, i think there are some teams that will welcome a power hitting third baseman, who has the ability to defend the position and low batting avg.

i just don't know if the sox is one of them.