NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
I bet DJ Williams gets a lot of PG time. He was a point-forward his senior year.

They'll be a bubble team. Unless Hill goes for 20 a night, they'll miss out i'm sure. Quentin Snyder's signing day de-commit hurts more and more every season.

Snider*

But yea, that and missing on Evans/Brunson after going all out for those 2 is killer, could've had a decent pg in Watson (well I would assume we could've gotten him).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
Looks like Darius Paul was suspended again. Got sent home early from the Europe trip.

Sam McLaurin posted some stuff on it last night, sounds like he broke a window on a Ferrari or some s***.

Couldn't even make it to the semester without getting in trouble...great decisions by him and the staff has now wasted a ton of time on him.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
I'm guessing they are just waiting to get back from Europe to officially announce he's off the team.

I just don't get how it doesn't sink in eventually. Should've been kicked off the team his senior year at Warren and everything after. Clueless.

I'm looking at the Battle 4 Atlantis lineup and there could have been some pretty awesome storylines if they had gone with certain matchup.

1. UConn vs Syracuse -obviously an old Big East showdown.

2. Texas vs Texas A&M -Battle of the state of Texas, plus the scools had a big disagreement in regards to the whole changing conference deal.

3. Washington vs Gonzaga -State of Washington battle. The schools don't really get along.

4. Michigan vs. Charlotte -Process of elimination, however thsee two teams squared off in a tournament in 2013 and Charlotte won.

Instead they have these games:

1. UConn vs. Michigan

2. Syracuse vs. Charlotte

3. Washington vs. Gonzaga

4. Texas vs. Texas A&M

So at least the state battles are still happening. Washington and Texas are already scheduled this year before the tournament so I can see why they aren't matched up initially.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 15, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
I honestly think I, of all people, have more faith in Beckman than Grice at this point.

Why?

You can't fix/coach stupidity. And when you know the family and parents, and have the need, you can't really fault him for giving him another chance.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Why?

You can't fix/coach stupidity. And when you know the family and parents, and have the need, you can't really fault him for giving him another chance.

Right. Unless it was covered up, Darius was an angel in Texas last year on and off the court.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 16, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Why?

Were now on year 3 of this experiment alongside wasted scholarship and other missed chances recruiting, and he's presumably never going to play a game for Illinois. That's on Groce.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 07:13 AM)
Were now on year 3 of this experiment alongside wasted scholarship and other missed chances recruiting, and he's presumably never going to play a game for Illinois. That's on Groce.

What scholarship wasn't available and who was taking it?

And you're saying Groce's decision to bring him back is the problem here? Why? Didn't he wait until all of the big guys signed elsewhere? Wasn't this a "yeah whatever, sure, I guess" situation?

I've got this feeling that the Illini are going to suck this year, like end .500 overall bad. But then again I had a feeling last year that we were a sweet 16 team so hopefully it just goes to the inverse.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I've got this feeling that the Illini are going to suck this year, like end .500 overall bad. But then again I had a feeling last year that we were a sweet 16 team so hopefully it just goes to the inverse.

PG is still a black hole and front court depth is lacking, but they have good talent at the wings with Nunn, Hill, and Coleman-Lands. If Thorne can be a solid starter and they can get Black to stop playing dirty, they should definitely be good enough to get into the tournament IMO. Should be interesting to see what they can do with front court players who can do something offensively at least.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
PG is still a black hole and front court depth is lacking, but they have good talent at the wings with Nunn, Hill, and Coleman-Lands. If Thorne can be a solid starter and they can get Black to stop playing dirty, they should definitely be good enough to get into the tournament IMO. Should be interesting to see what they can do with front court players who can do something offensively at least.

They're a bubble team, outside looking in. Same as the last 2 seasons. Look at the teams above them: Maryland, Indiana, MSU, Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin, OSU. Maybe even Iowa. Then Illinois/NW/Minn.

Not having Abrams sucks. Not having Paul sucks. You're asking a team to be better without Rice and Egwu. Hill has to make an impressive jump and put the team on his back. Nunn can't take 10 games off at a time like he did last year. Tate has to be able to shoot at least a little. Thorne has to be better than average. Black has to make a sophmore leap. And yeah, you gotta hope JCL isn't out for a long time and that he can contribute.

Too many ifs. They'll win 20 games, go .500 in the Big Ten and be in the NIT. That's my guess.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
They're a bubble team, outside looking in. Same as the last 2 seasons. Look at the teams above them: Maryland, Indiana, MSU, Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin, OSU. Maybe even Iowa. Then Illinois/NW/Minn.

Not having Abrams sucks. Not having Paul sucks. You're asking a team to be better without Rice and Egwu. Hill has to make an impressive jump and put the team on his back. Nunn can't take 10 games off at a time like he did last year. Tate has to be able to shoot at least a little. Thorne has to be better than average. Black has to make a sophmore leap. And yeah, you gotta hope JCL isn't out for a long time and that he can contribute.

Too many ifs. They'll win 20 games, go .500 in the Big Ten and be in the NIT. That's my guess.

I think Hill can fill Rice's shoes, and while we won't be able to replace Egwu defensively, if we could have an average player on both ends of the floor, the added offense should be enough to balance out the lost defense. Also, without looking at the schedule too closely, going .500 in this Big Ten should be a tournament team.

That being said, I'm sure they'll find a way to be a s***ty disappointing team, even with their low expectations.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
I'm sure whatever the number from the basketball team was will likely fall now that Rice and Cosby are gone.

Having Paul now away from the program should help as well.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
I'm sure whatever the number from the basketball team was will likely fall now that Rice and Cosby are gone.

They need to stop recruiting kids dumb enough to get caught. It's not like the players in 05 were perfect off the court either.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 08:25 PM)
They need to stop recruiting kids dumb enough to get caught. It's not like the players in 05 were perfect off the court either.

Winning cures a lot of the angst around the program. The new class has a lot of "good" kids in it, I think besides Paul the team this year is way more likeable than recent years.