NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 08:03 PM)
He was great on Dunn. Terrific defender. Help shut down the best player in the country.

But why is he driving with the game in the line?

That's mostly what I was talking about. I can't believe he took it in that situation. He's just not a very good offensive player at all.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
Caught a little bit of the Illinois game, first I've seen this year. Except for the missed put-back at the end, that Finke looked pretty decent.

Sorry, he seems like a good kid, but he's not the type of player that plays on a good team.

So early to be putting my Alma Mater on the "pay no mind list", but they are just so hurt and not good.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)
Sorry, he seems like a good kid, but he's not the type of player that plays on a good team.

So early to be putting my Alma Mater on the "pay no mind list", but they are just so hurt and not good.

What are you smoking? He's a guy with size that can shoot from range. And he showed to be pretty mobile running the break. He looked great for being a freshman. JCL looked like the real deal too, just needs to work on his ball handling and defense.

I was pissed last night, but i'm a little more encouraged for the future. Finke and JCL look legit. Hill can still be a star. Black is still disappointing, not much growth in the game IQ department. Thorne had an awful game. And they were relying on heavy minutes from a walk on. All on the road against a pretty solid team led by one of the best players in the country.

I don't think either of these losses will be bad ones, but they still hurt the tourney resume. Hopefully this is a team that's going to continue to grow into something good, much like Purdue last year.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
I have been of the opinion that if the Illini were middle of the pack, Groce would be fine. However, based on this start, he's likely gone.

Of course, the person who will eventually show him the door isn't currently in the DIA.

Rumors are that the new AD may be signed in the next week or so. The dude from Colorado seems like the logical choice.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)

Ugh, just no, stop it. He may never be a star but he is going to be a good one for us. Stop looking at only rankings on how to eval a player.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
What are you smoking? He's a guy with size that can shoot from range. And he showed to be pretty mobile running the break. He looked great for being a freshman. JCL looked like the real deal too, just needs to work on his ball handling and defense.

I was pissed last night, but i'm a little more encouraged for the future. Finke and JCL look legit. Hill can still be a star. Black is still disappointing, not much growth in the game IQ department. Thorne had an awful game. And they were relying on heavy minutes from a walk on. All on the road against a pretty solid team led by one of the best players in the country.

I don't think either of these losses will be bad ones, but they still hurt the tourney resume. Hopefully this is a team that's going to continue to grow into something good, much like Purdue last year.

I'm pretty similar to this, but we can't afford to lose much more in non-con at this point. Gotta beat pretty good teams like Chattanooga now, no leeway. Hopefully we can surprise in Big Ten season but it's one area that I've been most critical of Groce and scared of, we just don't perform well in conference play.

Hill, Nunn, JCL, Finke, Thorne, Black, AJ. That's a good core for this year, the defense is improving and if we can stay healthy we may have a shot at the tourney, but we'll need some upsets with some hot shooting games.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
Rumors are that the new AD may be signed in the next week or so. The dude from Colorado seems like the logical choice.

Logical for Illinois' side, I still think the chances of that happening are slim.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
Who told the ncaa it'd be a good idea to give the refs more power and call more fouls? Just an awful awful idea making for garbage games everywhere that aren't fun to watch.

Why why why on earth did the ncaa this this was a good idea? Watching Minnesota vs Temple live now and Minnesota hit the bonus with 14 minutes left in the first half.

They made so many awesome rules this year to improve the game greatly. But then inexplicably decided to give terrible refs way more power by saying they have to call every touch foul. The game is unwatchable right now. Why would they think this is a good idea?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Logical for Illinois' side, I still think the chances of that happening are slim.

As someone who lived in Champaign for 7 years and has been in Denver for two, I can say that all else being equal, Boulder beat Champaign-Urbana every single day of the week.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
I'm pretty similar to this, but we can't afford to lose much more in non-con at this point. Gotta beat pretty good teams like Chattanooga now, no leeway. Hopefully we can surprise in Big Ten season but it's one area that I've been most critical of Groce and scared of, we just don't perform well in conference play.

Hill, Nunn, JCL, Finke, Thorne, Black, AJ. That's a good core for this year, the defense is improving and if we can stay healthy we may have a shot at the tourney, but we'll need some upsets with some hot shooting games.

Meh, RPI should be inflated by the non-con games in Springfield. None of the losses have hurt thus far (though it would have been really nice to get a true road win last night).

To Jenks, I'm not worried about Black... yet. It's reasonable for him to have some rust coming off the injury. And the fouls were all really easy corrections (I mean, the first two were freaking moving screens).

Assuming that Nunn and Tate are back and have shaken off the rust by B1G play, I'm actually really comfortable with Thorne, Morgan, Black, Finke as a big man rotation and Hill, Nunn, JCL, Jordan/Austin (depending on need d v. o) at the wings, and Hill/Tate running the point. I'm trying to keep an even keel on the early season bumps...