NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
This surprises me, I thought the game vs Indiana had standing room, there were a few Creighton games that were crazy sold out too

I believe it refers to first time every since the renovation.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Please fire Groce at half-time.

It is legitimately hard for me to remember Illinois being good at this point. 10 years of s***ty basketball. f*** Groce, Weber, Guenther and Thomas. Garbage all of them and the amount of money those 4 asshats made is remarkable.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
Please fire Groce at half-time.

He should probably just quit. I don't enjoy his coaching, but he has been insanely unlucky here. He should try to resurrect his career elsewhere. At least he would leave the program better than he inherited it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:59 PM)
It is legitimately hard for me to remember Illinois being good at this point. 10 years of s***ty basketball. f*** Groce, Weber, Guenther and Thomas. Garbage all of them and the amount of money those 4 asshats made is remarkable.

As an outsider, Guenther seems the most culpable.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
He should probably just quit. I don't enjoy his coaching, but he has been insanely unlucky here. He should try to resurrect his career elsewhere. At least he would leave the program better than he inherited it.

If you would have told me we would have all these four star guys and still be this bad, I would have said you were crazy.

The Illinois basketball brand is holding on to relevance for dear life.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
If you would have told me we would have all these four star guys and still be this bad, I would have said you were crazy.

The Illinois basketball brand is holding on to relevance for dear life.

The only four star guy that suited up today that wasn't a freshman was Malcolm Hill. I guess you're expecting quite a bit from JCL, DJW, and Jordan in their second Big ten road game against a top 10 team in the country.

This is unacceptable, but let's not paint a different picture than it is.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
The only four star guy that suited up today that wasn't a freshman was Malcolm Hill. I guess you're expecting quite a bit from JCL, DJW, and Jordan in their second Big ten road game against a top 10 team in the country.

Agreed. The reality is, Groce isn't going anywhere because

1) The whole team is hurt

2) Illinois still hasn't hired his boss

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)

And Hill is a pretty darn good player.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Agreed. The reality is, Groce isn't going anywhere because

1) The whole team is hurt

2) Illinois still hasn't hired his boss

Not before the season is over but any AD worth a damn that they hire will fire him after the season is over.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
As an outsider, Guenther seems the most culpable.

All four suck ass but while Guenther made a couple good basketball hires before f***ing up royally with Weber he may be most to blame for the state of the athletic department as a whole because while other schools actually were caring about sports, investing money in their programs and realizing that college sports were big business Guenther stuck his head in the sand and ran programs as they were stuck in the 70s. Illinois football was really solid throughout the 80s and early 90s and has been a trainwreck nearly every year since. Basketball has been crap for 10 years now (basically the moment Bill Self's top recruits were gone).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
Doesn't matter. A competent AD can see that this team isn't well coached and the program isn't moving in the right direction.

And it's got SOME talent coming back. Now would be the time to change.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Doesn't matter. A competent AD can see that this team isn't well coached and the program isn't moving in the right direction.

Yeah unless there's a major turnaround, cannot imagine a situation where Groce should be brought back.

Why doesn't it matter? The team is a shell of itself. He's still landing four star recruits, also.

I'm not typically the voice of reason, but let's call it like it is. This team isn't what it was supposed to be due to injury.

And while we're add it, what self respecting coach is going to come to that train wreck of a school and athletic department?

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 11:32 PM)
Why doesn't it matter? The team is a shell of itself. He's still landing four star recruits, also.

I'm not typically the voice of reason, but let's call it like it is. This team isn't what it was supposed to be due to injury.

And while we're add it, what self respecting coach is going to come to that train wreck of a school and athletic department?

It's not about wins and losses. If we looked remotely competently coached he could get a pass on this year. 4 years in and I still have no idea what Groce wants to accomplish on defense. We suck at guard ball screens and his teams even going to back to Ohio have not been good at defending the 3 pt line which simply Watch them play, the players are constantly lost on defense and that was an issue last year as well.

On offense we have a similar scheme to Michigan and run a lot of the same stuff. But watch Michigan play compared to Illinois. Yes, there has been some talent gap but Michigan's players move much more without the ball than guys on Illinois have for 4 years now. And for an offense that runs a ton of ball screens, how many times in 4 years do you recall the big rolling to the basket and getting a layup. They pop every single time. In order for the ball screen to really work you have to have your big man diving to the basket fairly regularly.