NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)
Groce has lost the team and that is the most telling piece of the story. Just pathetic right now, the new AD has to fire him. Maybe someone like Bryce Drew would be interested.

Unless Bryce Drew doesn't have ambition of moving beyond Valpo we are truly f***ed if he isn't interested in taking the Illinois job.

My two favorite violations:

"One assistant coach even had the audacity to help a player find some rental housing:

A former associate head men’s basketball coach assisted in the relocation of a prospective student-athlete by providing the phone number of the prospect’s mother to a donor (Representative #2) to arrange for rental housing. The family paid a market rate for the rental. However, the actions of the former associate head coach are in violation of NCAA bylaws."

And the absolute best:

"A Missouri men’s basketball student-manager also provided transportation for multiple student-athletes to the hotel from the Missouri campus, all in violation of NCAA bylaws."

That's a violation? When I was a SM I drove players from the Cotton Bowl to the team hotel after the game. Was a van provided by the Cotton Bowl though so maybe I wasn't guilty of "providing transportation."

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Glynn Watson is one of the best freshmen in Big 10. Another instate recruit Groce didn't recruit. Or Morrow.

I don't think we ever had a shot at Morrow, and I don't really blame Groce for that one as Black "should" be a better version of him (injuries may have changed that though).

But not going for Watson is a giant headscratcher, I get Evans/Brunson were priority but he should have been in the mix more.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
I don't think we ever had a shot at Morrow, and I don't really blame Groce for that one as Black "should" be a better version of him (injuries may have changed that though).

But not going for Watson is a giant headscratcher, I get Evans/Brunson were priority but he should have been in the mix more.

The bizarre part with Watson isn't that he wasn't a priority because I completely get that, but my understanding is that even once they missed on Brunson and Evans they didn't make a push for Watson which really makes no sense.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:43 PM)
Yep. One of the worst B1G ten coaches I've ever seen.

Malcolm Hill is so so so good. Too bad hell likely never make the tournament unless they fire Groce.

Hill is really good. It's a shame, he has NBA talent, but doesn't have a position in the NBA because he's too slow for the 3 and he would get eaten alive at the 4.

So yeah, I give up trying to figure out who this Iowa State team is. They've beaten 3 of the top 4 teams in the country, and two more ranked teams at the time they played them. They also lost at home to Baylor, neutral court to Northern Iowa, and at Texas (their 4th loss, at OU by only a few points, is respectable).