NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
I don't even care anymore. Hire a real basketball coach. It's just so embarrassing now.

Wasn't really saying it in an effort to keep Groce. He'd be our best player next year if he sticks around IMO.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Wasn't really saying it in an effort to keep Groce. He'd be our best player next year if he sticks around IMO.

Hill is extremely under appreciated. He is just asked to do too much. He can't create on his own against very good athletes, but on a normal team he would usually have a PG to get him the ball in better spots in matchups like that.

Or if he played for a coach that ran some sort of offense.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:23 PM)
Obviously I do to but I wouldn't even bring it up in the conversation when discussing whether Groce should stay.

He can't be brought back under any circumstances and people tend to worry too much about transfers. Having to sit out a year is a pretty huge deterrent. The only player that transferred after either of the last two coaching changes was Kyle Wilson who winded up being a good player at Wichita St. but he was almost certainly transferring anyways and that includes Dee who threatened to transfer and never liked Weber.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
Hill is extremely under appreciated. He is just asked to do too much. He can't create on his own against very good athletes, but on a normal team he would usually have a PG to get him the ball in better spots in matchups like that.

Or if he played for a coach that ran some sort of offense.

I do think Hill is a great college player, but I'm really not sure I believe that a good PG would solve his matchup problems like that. Unfortunately for him, Groce will not have ever put him in the position to prove me wrong.

Coleman-Lands, on the other hand, has shown a lot of flashes that I think are going to be much more consistent in the future. Once he gets more comfortable driving to the hoop, he's going to be much less streaky, and on top of that we're going to see a lot more of his passing ability, which is a pretty underrated part of his game due to him basically being a spot up shooter right now. Of course, he's already a better 3pt shooter. Defensively, he's been mostly lost, but so has Hill most of his career. He's shown some ability to make steals, so hopefully that continues to improve.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
He can't be brought back under any circumstances and people tend to worry too much about transfers. Having to sit out a year is a pretty huge deterrent. The only player that transferred after either of the last two coaching changes was Kyle Wilson who winded up being a good player at Wichita St. but he was almost certainly transferring anyways and that includes Dee who threatened to transfer and never liked Weber.

I would be shocked if there weren't transfers. Maybe not before the season, but certainly after. Upperclassmen and redshirted players will likely stay. Everyone else is fair game, though.

Once again, not saying this as a keep Groce statement.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:43 AM)
I would be shocked if there weren't transfers. Maybe not before the season, but certainly after. Upperclassmen and redshirted players will likely stay. Everyone else is fair game, though.

Once again, not saying this as a keep Groce statement.

JCL is really the only guy I could see transferring out of the underclassmen (well Black if he is booted from the program). Finke isn't going anywhere and I think Jordan and Williams are both Illinois guys more than Groce guys. Black if he isn't booted probably doesn't go anywhere because he isn't going to want to sit out another entire year after redshirting this year so that basically just leaves JCL.

Also, as a general state of the program post, this will be the sixth missed tourney in the last 9 years and only 2 tourney wins in the 10 years post-Dee. So as I've said numerous times in this thread, a big f*** you to Guenther, Thomas, Groce and Weber for destroying Illinois basketball.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:18 AM)
Also, as a general state of the program post, this will be the sixth missed tourney in the last 9 years and only 2 tourney wins in the 10 years post-Dee. So as I've said numerous times in this thread, a big f*** you to Guenther, Thomas, Groce and Weber for destroying Illinois basketball.

Institutional incompetence at every level continues to plague Illinois. Hopefully, the next time Illinois hits on a basketball coach, they lock him up.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:16 AM)
JCL is really the only guy I could see transferring out of the underclassmen (well Black if he is booted from the program). Finke isn't going anywhere and I think Jordan and Williams are both Illinois guys more than Groce guys. Black if he isn't booted probably doesn't go anywhere because he isn't going to want to sit out another entire year after redshirting this year so that basically just leaves JCL.

JCL is the only guy we really don't want to lose.

Programs average over 1 transfer a year. Adding a coaching change to that only makes it more likely.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce DrewBryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew Bryce Bryce Drew

Ha. I can't see him leaving what he has at Valpo for Illinois. Dude has it made there. He is a literal hometown here. He led their high school to a state title when he was at Valpo High in 1994. The family loves it there.

If he is going to leave, it is going to be for a program that doesn't need to be rebuilt from the bottom floor.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
JCL is the only guy we really don't want to lose.

Programs average over 1 transfer a year. Adding a coaching change to that only makes it more likely.

Without a doubt, changing coaches would make the system worse before it got better, but at least it might actually get better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
Ha. I can't see him leaving what he has at Valpo for Illinois. Dude has it made there. He is a literal hometown here. He led their high school to a state title when he was at Valpo High in 1994. The family loves it there.

If he is going to leave, it is going to be for a program that doesn't need to be rebuilt from the bottom floor.

He makes 250k there and would make 2 million plus here. He'd be in Champaign in an hour if you offered him.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
He makes 250k there and would make 2 million plus here. He'd be in Champaign in an hour if you offered him.

Didn't he interview for the DePaul job last year? I think he was down to the final stage and might have pulled out. You would think he would take the ILL job if offered, but you never know. It does appear as if he would listen.

Didn't he interview for the DePaul job last year? I think he was down to the final stage and might have pulled out. You would think he would take the ILL job if offered, but you never know. It does appear as if he would listen.

Illinois job >>> DePaul job