NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana passes the eye test with me right now. Balanced. Anything short of an Elite 8 should be a disappointment. That said, watch them lose in the first round cuz I jinxed them.

As much fun as the conference tourneys can be, I really think they should start giving the auto bid to the regular season champion. You dominate the league for 3 months, then it's all for nothing. Plus, that will increase the odds of a 16 seed finally beating a 1. The more upsets that happen in these tourneys, it weakens all of the teams in the main bracket.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
As much fun as the conference tourneys can be, I really think they should start giving the auto bid to the regular season champion. You dominate the league for 3 months, then it's all for nothing. Plus, that will increase the odds of a 16 seed finally beating a 1. The more upsets that happen in these tourneys, it weakens all of the teams in the main bracket.

It will also greatly reduce the importance of the conference tournaments, and it will take away at large bids.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
It will also greatly reduce the importance of the conference tournaments, and it will take away at large bids.

As it should, the regular season should be more important than the conference tournaments. At least some conferences give the top teams home court now so they have some kind of advantage.

The at-large bids wouldn't change, there would be the same amount. It would just make the pool of auto bid teams stronger, especially the ones at the bottom of the bracket.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
The small conferences need conference tournaments to generate revenue. Nobody will go or watch on TV if an autobid isn't on the line, so that is never going to change.

But I thought college sports were about the student athletes, not the money?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)

They're part of the fun of March though. We could just eliminate automatic conference bids all together and just let a committee decide the top 64 teams if we want to go that route or just get rid of the one and done tournament and make it a series of games.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
They're part of the fun of March though. We could just eliminate automatic conference bids all together and just let a committee decide the top 64 teams if we want to go that route or just get rid of the one and done tournament and make it a series of games.

The funnest part of March is when mid major double digit seeds beat BCS teams in the first round. This would be a great year for it to happen, but all of the top mid-major teams are getting knocked out of their tourneys.

It wouldn't be as exciting, but the conference tourney winner could earn a NIT bid instead.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)

I was surprised how my attitude changed when my university UT-RGV went from independent to the Western Athletic Conference with an auto bid. I didn't think getting in a conference would really change anything for me. I still enjoyed going to the games, who cares if it was a conference or non conference game? Now I actually pay attention to more games. The women's team has been strong and could gain a spot this season. Something just a little extra to cheer for. In the major conferences it really doesn't matter. The top four or five teams get in.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 12, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
There's no way he should be around now.

The only reason he's around is that Whitman correctly understands that 2017 is a huge opportunity and Groce, unfortunately, is the only one building those relationships. If you get rid of him now you miss out and the program goes deeper in the hole. The hope around the department is that he pulls in a good class and then Illinois can still get rid of him if he sucks next year. I don't think this incident - which is on the player, not the coach - changes those plans in anyway.