Micah Johnson sent to Charlotte AAA

Downtown518

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
Wow! Surprised by this but probably the right call by correcting their earlier mistake. Hope Johnson takes this well and works his ass off in Charlotte.

^^^ I have nothing to add.

Very surprised at this. I thought we were going to be more patient with Johnson. Hopefully Johnson is able to take what he learned, work hard at it in the minors and then come up for good the next time. He has a bright future and he shouldn't have his head down. I hope Sanchez comes up and keeps hitting and does some good things. Would be nice to have a couple young players to be excited for (as I am still excited and high on Micah) but if Sanchez can play some good defense and hit solidly, he'll be a nice guy to have and an upgrade on the current roster (even though I think Micah's upside is higher).

Wow, quite surprised by this move. His defense definitely isn't great, but he's had a great approach at the plate so far this season. Much better than a lot of teammates. If management is valuing defense more now, we better see less Abreu at first and Conor at third as well.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 14, 2015 -> 05:32 PM)
Wow, quite surprised by this move. His defense definitely isn't great, but he's had a great approach at the plate so far this season. Much better than a lot of teammates. If management is valuing defense more now, we better see less Abreu at first and Conor at third as well.

His approach has been good, but the results haven't been good enough to overcome how poor his defense has been. I think it's a great move, as Johnson will hopefully go down to AAA and get his timing at the plate ironed out.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
His approach has been good, but the results haven't been good enough to overcome how poor his defense has been. I think it's a great move, as Johnson will hopefully go down to AAA and get his timing at the plate ironed out.

I think this is more about him working on footwork, making advances on the defensive end. Him working on his bat is nice, but if his defense wasn't historically bad (by advanced metrics), we wouldn't be making this move.

Didn't see this move coming really, but with Sanchez tearing it up, it was hard to leave him down there with Johnson not tearing it up offensively or defensively up here.

Hope MJ continues to get better in AAA and not take it to heart but only work harder just how Sanchez did.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
I think this is more about him working on footwork, making advances on the defensive end. Him working on his bat is nice, but if his defense wasn't historically bad (by advanced metrics), we wouldn't be making this move.

No doubt this is 100% about his defense. A week or so ago, Hawk/Stoney were talking though about how the coaches wanted Johnson to improve his timing at the plate, as they thought that was what was making it hard for him to hit fastballs. Hopefully he takes this opportunity to find his stroke again at the plate.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
No doubt this is 100% about his defense. A week or so ago, Hawk/Stoney were talking though about how the coaches wanted Johnson to improve his timing at the plate, as they thought that was what was making it hard for him to hit fastballs. Hopefully he takes this opportunity to find his stroke again at the plate.

Your first sentence seems to completely disagree with the 2nd and 3rd sentences.

Damn, this shocked me. If Sanchez is taking over 2B I can deal with it but I really don't want to see Beckham/Emilio getting the majority of the time at 2B. Playing Beckham there just seems like we are going back to 2013 plus I like him better has a utility guy who plays 3B against LHP. And I'm really not a fan of Emilio's game and I don't think he defense is all that great.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)
Your first sentence seems to completely disagree with the 2nd and 3rd sentences.

How so? They sent him down because of his defense, I'm sure we would all agree on. His hitting was ok, nothing special. Good approach, mediocre results. If his defense was above average, I'm sure they could live with his offense so far.

We took a shot by going with the one guy with a sliver of star potential. Now we go to the well-rounded guy to save the season (at 2b, that is, not as a whole). Micah can be the CF when Eaton invariably gets injured at some point. Love how MJ works at-bats.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
We took a shot by going with the one guy with a sliver of star potential. Now we go to the well-rounded guy to save the season (at 2b, that is, not as a whole). Micah can be the CF when Eaton invariably gets injured at some point. Love how MJ works at-bats.

It's been noted a lot around here that Micah doesn't have the arm to be in the OF especially with previous injuries