Micah Johnson sent to Charlotte AAA

Downtown518

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he can foul off pitches then stick him in the 2 hole, but damn I dunno, a light-hitting rookie getting the 2nd most ABs? I feel Melky hacks too freely to bat 2, so if Sanchez can see more pitches then I'm all for it. Ideally an opposing starter should always have to throw 10-15 pitches before he even sees Jose- that should be our MO. Then we're dangerous.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
To me, this is a short-sighted move.

If they weren't willing to be more patient with him than this, they shouldn't have made him the stater.

The problem isn't with this move, it's taking a guy with 484 PAs above A-ball and making him a big league starter on a team that added a whole bunch of guys to try to be competitive this season. The 2nd clause is the correct one.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
I can see this move for defensive purposes but unless Sanchez has made huge strides since last year it will be a drop in batting average, OBP, baserunning, etc. This move to me makes absolutely no sense especially since this morning the Sox said they were gonna remain patient with Micah since he is the future for the sox

Micah's D was piss poor. He single handedly lost or made a play that drastically changed the SOX chance to win a game several times to his poor D.

He'll be a good player in time, but AAA is where he belongs for now.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
I hope they can find a 4th outfielder that can hit against LHP, especially if Melky's struggles continue.

If you watch the games, I don't think you'd think Melky is struggling. Hitting into some real bad luck. He's been stinging the ball for a few weeks without much to show for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
The problem isn't with this move, it's taking a guy with 484 PAs above A-ball and making him a big league starter on a team that added a whole bunch of guys to try to be competitive this season. The 2nd clause is the correct one.

Fair enough; but then let's correct that moving forward.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
Micah's D was piss poor. He single handedly lost or a chance to remain competitive in a game as lost due to his poor D.

He'll be a good player in time, but AAA is where he belongs for now.

he has 2 errors. I'd say he is one of our best defensive playears and did far less to hurt the team then conor, eaton, abreu, or even Alexei has. He also has been a better hitter then, conor, alexei, and Eaton

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
he has 2 errors. I'd say he is one of our best defensive playears and did far less to hurt the team then conor, eaton, abreu, or even Alexei has. He also has been a better hitter then, conor, alexei, and Eaton

Please don't cite number of errors in defensive arguments. I'm a Micah defender in some ways, but even I can see plainly he is struggling defensively.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)

You've said that before to me, and you're wrong.

Errors are a terrible metric for grading ones D. He missed several plays that weren't ruled errors that should have been made. He didn't turn double plays that should have been turned. There is a lot more to defense than errors.

Sure, Alexei has made some bonehead plays that have hurt the SOX, but you can live with that from a guy that makes plays no one else in baseball except maybe Simmons or Gregorious would make. I will agree that Eaton has been disapointing in the field, but I am far from worried about him. Gillaspie...ugh..he's been brutal, and that's why Beckham is stealing his ABs, because he's been unf'in real at 3B this year.

Nobody is "abusing the stats" we are using inference to come to a conclusion about his defense. It's a data point. So is the eye test. Nobody is claiming to have a picture perfect view of his defense simply that based on the data we have, including the eye test, including his SSS OF number, including the fact that nobody has ever seen him as a backup CF (hey, 90 innings) other than the Sox...

point to the most likely conclusion that he sucks in CF.

If you want to say "average" go ahead. I am free to argue otherwise using Bayesian style inference. I've laid out a pretty clear argument for that he sucks.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
Please don't cite number of errors in defensive arguments. I'm a Micah defender in some ways, but even I can see plainly he is struggling defensively.

Yeah, he is definitely rough around the edges. No matter where he is, he needs lots of reps.

Would you guys stop sniffing Micah's nutcheese? He was bad defender with an OK bat. In AAA he can work on both.

As for Schuck, He had some clutch RBIs, he's fine as a 4th OF and puts the bat on the ball.

You guys need to be looking at people that are significantly underachieving than a 4th OF that barely gets any playing time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
it's a shame that no one in the white sox front office has access to the stats from Birmingham and Charlotte to be able to judge such things.

I am glad the front office isn't purely working off the stats and is also using their eyes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
I know this conversation has been had before and all, but THIS seems like a Kenny Williams move. Give a guy a vote of confidence one day, bench him the next, and send to to Charlotte the day after? Yeah, that doesn't sound like Rick Hahn at all.

Regardless of who made the decision ( I believe it was KW) this move is about as two faced as it comes. To basically say they are gonna be patient with Micah bc he has been performing very well offensively and struggling a bit defensively but is the future of the team and then to turn around the next day and demote him is just wrong. I lost all respect for the front office with this move. Not the move itself but how they went about doing it.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 14, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
I really hope this doesn't hurt Micah's psyche. I don't think he is that type of guy or player but we will see. Let's hope he does well at AAA and is back up at some point

If this impacts his psyche, then he wouldn't be good enough to succeed in the majors anyway. More mentally difficult than any other sport.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
Regardless of who made the decision ( I believe it was KW) this move is about as two faced as it comes. To basically say they are gonna be patient with Micah bc he has been performing very well offensively and struggling a bit defensively but is the future of the team and then to turn around the next day and demote him is just wrong. I lost all respect for the front office with this move. Not the move itself but how they went about doing it.

This post makes me laugh.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Would you guys stop sniffing Micah's nutcheese? He was bad defender with an OK bat. In AAA he can work on both.

As for Schuck, He had some clutch RBIs, he's fine as a 4th OF and puts the bat on the ball.

You guys need to be looking at people that are significantly underachieving than a 4th OF that barely gets any playing time.

^This.

This team is being hurt way more by guys like Sale, Samardjiza, Abreu, Cabrera, Eaton, and company who have taken large steps back from their numbers last year, vs JB Shuck's 13 total chances in the outfield this year.

His defense wasn't there, bottom line. Overall, I don't think he looked overmatched at the plate. I'm glad we started the season with him because he got a real good idea at just how damn good he needs to be to be one of the 30 best second basemen in the world. He's a smart guy and I have faith that he recognized it himself.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)

Am I to assume you are serious when you say this?

Basically Rick Hahn just said he would continue to lie to everyone about what the teams plans were... and I am quite OK with that.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...-johnson-triple

“We’re not going to show all our cards, or reveal that we’re going to make a change in the coming days,” Hahn said. “I don’t think that’s real productive to maximize a player’s performance. At the same time, we have consistent conversations with our players about where they sit and what we’re expecting. And while I’m sure Micah was disappointed with the ultimate decision, I don’t think he was surprised that it was a possibility or didn’t foresee it as a possibility.”

LOL cmon man. Think big picture and you'll feel better. This is how every job in the world that requires balls goes- all the training in the world can't prepare you for the real fire. Sure many jobs you can go to school and slide right in...but the man jobs...gotta jump in to see where you stand, then work on your shortcomings. Any job with balls is like this. I think the Sox did good in letting him find out he wasn't ready. Kind of like the Hawkins promotion. "Look kid, i know you've had success but it ain't gonna work against the best." I think the FO thought his offense was going to be better to overshadow the D. Didn't happen, no big deal, and thank GOD you aren't in charge. Just kidding 😄

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
To me, this is a short-sighted move.

If they weren't willing to be more patient with him than this, they shouldn't have made him the stater.

They didnt forsee the rest of the lineup starting off so s***ty.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
LOL cmon man. Think big picture and you'll feel better. This is how every job in the world that requires balls goes- all the training in the world can't prepare you for the real fire. Sure many jobs you can go to school and slide right in...but the man jobs...gotta jump in to see where you stand, then work on your shortcomings. Any job with balls is like this. I think the Sox did good in letting him find out he wasn't ready. Kind of like the Hawkins promotion. "Look kid, i know you've had success but it ain't gonna work against the best." I think the FO thought his offense was going to be better to overshadow the D. Didn't happen, no big deal, and thank GOD you aren't in charge. Just kidding 😄

Don't kid about this. These meathead fans that don't have a clue on how to run a baseball team should sit back and let the professionals do their jobs.