Micah Johnson sent to Charlotte AAA

Downtown518

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Ok to call this a complete an example of failure of the white sox policy of aggressively pushing prospects up to the big leagues as fast as possible and an admission of that failure/attempt to correct it?

Yes.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Damn, this shocked me. If Sanchez is taking over 2B I can deal with it but I really don't want to see Beckham/Emilio getting the majority of the time at 2B. Playing Beckham there just seems like we are going back to 2013 plus I like him better has a utility guy who plays 3B against LHP. And I'm really not a fan of Emilio's game and I don't think he defense is all that great.

I honestly won't be mad seeing Beckham get more playing time as long as he's actually hitting like this. Some of that should be at 3b though, sitting Gillaspie against lefties should continue.

I'm less annoyed with Beckham playing and Sanchez sitting on the bench than I would be with Micah sitting on the bench regularly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
Ok to call this a complete failure of the white sox policy of aggressively pushing prospects up to the big leagues as fast as possible and an admission of that failure/attempt to correct it?

I give them credit for pulling the plug early on their decision to push Johnson so aggressively. Last year it seems was an incomplete season for Johnson due to the injuries he had. Hopefully he comes back a better player when he returns...or Sanchez makes him a valuable trade chip by proving he belongs.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
I give them credit for pulling the plug early on their decision to push Johnson so aggressively. Last year it seems was an incomplete season for Johnson due to the injuries he had. Hopefully he comes back a better player when he returns...or Sanchez makes him a valuable trade chip by proving he belongs.

it's a shame that no one in the white sox front office has access to the stats from Birmingham and Charlotte to be able to judge such things.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
I think this is more about him working on footwork, making advances on the defensive end. Him working on his bat is nice, but if his defense wasn't historically bad (by advanced metrics), we wouldn't be making this move.

Agreed. He needs more reps on D.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
I can't say enough how pissed off I'll be if Sanchez isn't the starting 2B

He likely will be, but why would it upset you so much if Beckham gets more playing time there? He's earned it so far this year, and it looks like Hahn and company are showing urgency now.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
He likely will be, but why would it upset you so much if Beckham gets more playing time there? He's earned it so far this year, and it looks like Hahn and company are showing urgency now.

I've seen Gordon put up 115 wRC+ numbers for a scattered month or so for years and I know it just isn't real. Use him like you've been using him. He would be better than Micah, but I doubt he'd be better than Sanchez.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)

I don't think Beckham will keep it up. Also we are just tired of seeing the same thing the past 5+ years. He hasn't had success and we want something different. I personally think he is much better off being a utility guy instead of being a regular starter

I can see this move for defensive purposes but unless Sanchez has made huge strides since last year it will be a drop in batting average, OBP, baserunning, etc. This move to me makes absolutely no sense especially since this morning the Sox said they were gonna remain patient with Micah since he is the future for the sox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
it's a shame that no one in the white sox front office has access to the stats from Birmingham and Charlotte to be able to judge such things.

Indeed. You should go work for the FO, they need a voice of reason to counter the KW hype train on his guys.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
I can see this move for defensive purposes but unless Sanchez has made huge strides since last year it will be a drop in batting average, OBP, baserunning, etc. This move to me makes absolutely no sense especially since this morning the Sox said they were gonna remain patient with Micah since he is the future for the sox

Micah Johnson has a wOBA of 79 his OPS is 579. He's on pace for -48 runs below average on defense.

He's been brutal, below replacement. If anything, he's incredibly lucky that his defensive mistakes haven't been publicly called out and/or led to more runs than they have.

There's a very good chance Sanchez will not only out defend Micah (well, that has a 99.9999% chance) but also out hit him.

Remember that Micah also has 6 outs on the bases. Just not getting picked off or CS will also help.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)

Johnson's negative defense was far outweighing any of the positives his offense might have been giving the team. Unless you're talking about Jeff Kent in his prime, it's hard to keep putting a #9 hitting 2nd baseman in the lineup every day if he's on pace for the worst defensive season ever by a 2b.

Not personally a fan of doing it this early, but I certainly see the other side. Right now the team is struggling defensively and Micah just isn't there yet on that side of the ball. I would have played it out longer, but I'm not upset either.

Sanchez was red hot in Charlotte, though he's fallen off the last few games. Defensively he's a big upgrade right away of course. I hope he gets full time play though, and that is my concern - they may play Beckham and/or Bonifacio so much that Sanchez doesn't get regular time, which is the wrong move IMO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)
Not personally a fan of doing it this early, but I certainly see the other side. Right now the team is struggling defensively and Micah just isn't there yet on that side of the ball. I would have played it out longer, but I'm not upset either.

Sanchez was red hot in Charlotte, though he's fallen off the last few games. Defensively he's a big upgrade right away of course. I hope he gets full time play though, and that is my concern - they may play Beckham and/or Bonifacio so much that Sanchez doesn't get regular time, which is the wrong move IMO.

the voice of reasons. great post.

my hope is Micah doesn't take this to heart and goes into a deep funk like davidson did last yr.