Prospect Perspective: On Retiring from Pro Baseball

NorthSideSox72

Every once in a while, we have a White Sox prospect or player (or coach or scout) guest-write a piece for Future Sox. You can see all the previous entries here, including some from players who made the majors. Each has a different topic.

Our latest is from RHP Mike Recchia (who wrote once before for us as well), the #28 prospect in the system on our most recent list from January. He recently retired, and wrote for us about what it is like as a minor leaguer to have to make that decision.

The article is here - give it a read! Bear in mind that these players aren't professional writers, but in a way that gives a refreshing perspective on things. It gives you an idea what they are thinking about. And this is stuff you just don't find on other blogs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
A guy has to be pretty burnt out if minimum wage at Party City is better than baseball.

Yes. I was going to say he'll need to have a career to make enough money to support the family. Must be a hard decision. If he's close to making the bigs, he could make a lot of money in a short period of time. If he's not going to make it, better to get going on a real job. But Party City won't cut it $$ wise. Baseball teams should cut out the "clubhouse fees." Embarrassing a billion dollar industry makes the minor leaguers pay for peanut butter sandwiches. The NBA is quite different, NFL too. No minor league. Just join the big leagues out of "college" and rake in the money.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
Yes. I was going to say he'll need to have a career to make enough money to support the family. Must be a hard decision. If he's close to making the bigs, he could make a lot of money in a short period of time. If he's not going to make it, better to get going on a real job. But Party City won't cut it $$ wise. Baseball teams should cut out the "clubhouse fees." Embarrassing a billion dollar industry makes the minor leaguers pay for peanut butter sandwiches. The NBA is quite different, NFL too. No minor league. Just join the big leagues out of "college" and rake in the money.

My god that salary is brutal. Am I reading that right that that is what he gets weekly?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 19, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
My god that salary is brutal. Am I reading that right that that is what he gets weekly?

It's about in line with what I've seen before, so yeah.

ETA: Actually that's every 2 weeks, as he puts it in there. Minor Leaugers make peanuts, unless they were among the very small % that got big bonuses (and don't blow them).

I'm sure that's after tax, but it's still nothing.

Unless you're selected in the first 3-5 rounds or one of those speculative drafts later on where they can entice you out of attending college....

Hope he makes it, but the whole idea of waiting again until age 35 sounds like something out of a Disney movie, and he doesn't throw 95-99 like Jim Morris of the Rays did when he came back from major injuries.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 20, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
I believe he meant it more in jest, as he's going to be kept in great shape from raising his kids.

Knowing Mike's personality, he was mostly joking, but underneath he's holding out hope of doing just that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)

He switched from party city to another job, but point is, when you are playing baseball professionally, you aren't going to have an easy time finding a high paying part time position (when you will be gone most of the year). If you read the peace, he switched from party city to a different, more high paying job, and I presume now that he is retiring he will get into a profession that he sees fit.

Best of luck Mike!!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)

Baseball is no different than any other industry that uses interns as cheap, or no cost labor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Baseball is no different than any other industry that uses interns as cheap, or no cost labor.

Similar, but not quite the same. In this case, being an intern is the only way to get a job in your field, and you're likely doing it for 3-4 years on average before you get a paycheck that takes you above the poverty line. There are intern programs like that in other industries, but not many, and all those industries provide many paths in the door.

There are other options, which aren't suitable to a father who wants to spend more time with his children and watch them grow up first-hand.

Japan or Korea, for example. The independent leagues.

Let's not pretend those millions of kids around the world dreaming of NBA careers have it any easier. What's the salary in the NBDL or was the salary before in the CBA for the average player?

Basketball players, by and large, can make more money overseas than baseball players, but that's comparing apples and oranges again because there are literally half as many job openings.

How many college football players can have an 8-10 year paid career after graduating (without going down to injury)?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
There are other options, which aren't suitable to a father who wants to spend more time with his children and watch them grow up first-hand.

Japan or Korea, for example. The independent leagues.

Let's not pretend those millions of kids around the world dreaming of NBA careers have it any easier. What's the salary in the NBDL or was the salary before in the CBA for the average player?

Basketball players, by and large, can make more money overseas than baseball players, but that's comparing apples and oranges again because there are literally half as many job openings.

How many college football players can have an 8-10 year paid career after graduating (without going down to injury)?

NBA D-League salaries are about double what minor league baseball players make. Football has no equivalent to compare to, but essentially college fills that role and they get a degree, housing and food. The clubhouse dues thing is something I think is unique to baseball.

Also, pretty sure no one here is pretending anything, nor did anyone say the other sports were something great.