Astros have scouted Samardjiza

southsider2k5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
If you play him at 3B, he's just as bad if you take last season into account. Maybe he's better at 2B, but that can't be confirmed.

He's a hell of a lot better than Micah Johnson. Just watching a game or 2 will tell you that. Just watching an inning and seeing their footwork will tell you that. I know that's not what this thread was about, but my god, that was a stupid trade.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 20, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
He's a hell of a lot better than Micah Johnson. Just watching a game or 2 will tell you that. Just watching an inning and seeing their footwork will tell you that. I know that's not what this thread was about, but my god, that was a stupid trade.

If Semien's legitimately an 800+ OPS guy at even 2B (compared to SS), it's going to hurt, because Johnson and Sanchez are unlikely to come remotely close to that.

If he's more of a 675-725ish guy (typical for that position now, unless you're Altuve/Cano/Kinsler/Kipnis), it won't quite be the end of the world because his defensive shortcomings will largely erode his positive value.

Of course, it also is dependent on what we eventually get in return for Samardzija.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 20, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
Colin Moran is not any prospect I am going to get excited about. I'd much prefer Derek Fisher.

As much as I hate watching the team lose, I hope they are either very much in the picture, or far enough out where the FO can rationalize looking towards next year and making moves. While the run has been nice, I am still tepid about this team overcoming its weaknesses. I am sure the team is operating under a contingency like "If the team is X games out of a playoff spot on July 2X, then we will be sellers." The Samardzija situation is really the only intriguing one to see through. The team has a few options:

1.) Hold Samardzija and try to sign him long term.

2.) Hold Samardzija for the compensation pick.

3.) Trade Samardzija too top bidder.

I think it's important to propose that some people are starting to overvalue the the value of the compensation pick. Yes, I understand it's the slot value and the potential for financial flexibility in the draft that is the true value but given the the team's window of contention, I think the team would be better served trying to adding to the young core instead of picking up the 32nd (guessing) pick of the draft.

Except for the fact a majority will be constantly confusing him with the former Lakers PG, I'll agree...

I'd go after Santana first though. At least try. They're in playoff mode already this season, and they can acquire a solid 2/3 guy for their rotation (he'd slot in between Keuchel and McHugh probably)...and they don't have to give up Correa or Appel to compete this season, not to mention their two first rounders looming (with the possibility of a collegiate pitcher bolstering their playoff run ala Sale in 2010).

The Angels are big-time vulnerable. They have the pitching, but that offense is in shambles after Trout. The Mariners, despite adding Cruz and Cano the last two off-seasons, are at least a player short on offense and on the pitching staff (what the hell happened to T.Walker?)

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 20, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Colin Moran is not any prospect I am going to get excited about. I'd much prefer Derek Fisher.

As much as I hate watching the team lose, I hope they are either very much in the picture, or far enough out where the FO can rationalize looking towards next year and making moves. While the run has been nice, I am still tepid about this team overcoming its weaknesses. I am sure the team is operating under a contingency like "If the team is X games out of a playoff spot on July 2X, then we will be sellers." The Samardzija situation is really the only intriguing one to see through. The team has a few options:

1.) Hold Samardzija and try to sign him long term.

2.) Hold Samardzija for the compensation pick.

3.) Trade Samardzija too top bidder.

I think it's important to propose that some people are starting to overvalue the the value of the compensation pick. Yes, I understand it's the slot value and the potential for financial flexibility in the draft that is the true value but given the the team's window of contention, I think the team would be better served trying to adding to the young core instead of picking up the 32nd (guessing) pick of the draft.

IF it gets to the point where the Sox are out of it, you have to listen to offers on Samardjiza. If the offers are worse than a comp pick, you turn them down. If you get something that is better, you take it. I am sure Rick Hahn has a hit list of prospects he would like from each team, that his scouts are looking at on a daily basis. If the right combination of those guys where to come up, and the Sox were way out of contention, I am sure you would see Jeff moved.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 20, 2015 -> 02:02 AM)
Good, scout him. You never know when the season could turn sour again, may as well start making some connections.

I'd like 3B Colin Moran and OF Derek Fisher are two realistic guys I'd love to get back.

I see his name listed on the Houston top prospects, but his minor league numbers look like a powerless 3B ala Connor Gillaspie. What is the big attraction to him, as I know nothing about him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
IF it gets to the point where the Sox are out of it, you have to listen to offers on Samardjiza. If the offers are worse than a comp pick, you turn them down. If you get something that is better, you take it. I am sure Rick Hahn has a hit list of prospects he would like from each team, that his scouts are looking at on a daily basis. If the right combination of those guys where to come up, and the Sox were way out of contention, I am sure you would see Jeff moved.

So what's that magic number? 8 games back around July 1st? 5 games out of the fifth wild card spot, and maybe 7-8 teams all ahead of the White Sox? Would it matter if they were 5-6 games back in the WC, but were trailing all four AL Central teams in the standings?

This team, for all its flaws, it should play within 5 games of .500 at least for the rest of the season, barring a major injury. That said, there wasn't ever a feeling that last year's team was competitive/in the playoff hunt and they were in the same position for most of the first 3-4 months of 2014...stuck between 2 and 7 or 8 games under.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
I see his name listed on the Houston top prospects, but his minor league numbers look like a powerless 3B ala Connor Gillaspie. What is the big attraction to him, as I know nothing about him.

He was a former (relatively) high draft pick, so there's the pedigree...but you could say the same thing for Conor, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
So what's that magic number? 8 games back around July 1st? 5 games out of the fifth wild card spot, and maybe 7-8 teams all ahead of the White Sox? Would it matter if they were 5-6 games back in the WC, but were trailing all four AL Central teams in the standings?

This team, for all its flaws, it should play within 5 games of .500 at least for the rest of the season, barring a major injury. That said, there wasn't ever a feeling that last year's team was competitive/in the playoff hunt and they were in the same position for most of the first 3-4 months of 2014...stuck between 2 and 7 or 8 games under.

That is up to Rick Hahn and company.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 24m24 minutes ago

#Astros have scouted Jeff Samardzija, who may become available at the deadline: http://sbnation.com/e/8390668?utm_campaign..._source=twitter

See where we are in 6 weeks. If playoffs is a longshot then, we can make some major moves toward 2016 by moving both him and Alexei.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
If Semien's legitimately an 800+ OPS guy at even 2B (compared to SS), it's going to hurt, because Johnson and Sanchez are unlikely to come remotely close to that.

If he's more of a 675-725ish guy (typical for that position now, unless you're Altuve/Cano/Kinsler/Kipnis), it won't quite be the end of the world because his defensive shortcomings will largely erode his positive value.

Of course, it also is dependent on what we eventually get in return for Samardzija.

That's how it stacks up.

Of course if he is an 800+ OPS guy, you could still play him in the outfield and exceed most of what we have there.

I'm not convinced the Sox will trade off assets even if we're realistically out of it unless our record is terrible, which I doubt it will be.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 20, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
If the Sox are .500 at the break and 5 games out of first place in the division, what do you do at the deadline?

Stand pat or buy some pieces without giving up major portions of the future. 5 games at the break isn't all that much. You sure as sh*t don't sell at .500 at the break in the 2 WC era.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)

He has always been polarizing -- one of those guys where 8-10 teams saw him as a top 5 overall talent, and 8-10 others saw him as 5th round or later. He's undersized and thrives on bat speed, from what I remember reading.

Too many decisions or scenarios are put out there on this site based on raw emotion and based on day to day results. It is way to early to be throwing in the towel. We can still make our push for the divisional championship or at least a play off spot. Patience is a virtue and an absolute necessity over a 162 game schedule. The decision on Smard has to be along the lines of is he really a top of the rotation guy like Sale. I remember before the season started that an analyst of MLB-Network dismissed all the hype on the Shark by saying the man may be a good pitcher but he didn't have a winning record in his career and didn't pan out for Oakland. Now you must ask yourself is he right? I know I had hoped to see more from Shark, but he isn't a complete disaster and will he settle down and pitch great? C Kluver started real bad for Cleveland and then found it again big time the last two starts he made.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ May 20, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
I'd take on Singletons salary and ask for McCullers and Correa too if Shark were to be traded.

I don't think the Astros's are that stupid to part ways with Correa, but if Rick Hahn didn't at least inquire about him then he wouldn't be doing his job. That being said, if the Astros proposed Shark for Correa straight up, I would say yes immediately. I think Correa has been the best prospect in the game since 2013, I would take him over Bryant and Buxton in a heartbeat but I don't think that Astros are going to part with him anytime soon.

I wouldn't take on the Singelton contract unless I got back a really nice return.

I would a nice return for the Sox would be McCullers, a comp pick and an international bonus allotment

Edited by Joshua Strong