5/20 Games

flavum

Kanny getting destroyed. Lowry got battered, but it was his first bad outing of the year.

Eddy Alvarez falling back a bit, but doing so weirdly. Last 7 games (didn't include this one), he's hitting .150 (3-for-20), but his OBP is .346 and he's got just 2 K's in 27 PA. My guess is, with the rest of that Kanny lineup being pretty weak, they are pitching around him now.

Jason Coats just keeps hitting, but no power yet. Combined AA+AAA so far this year: .319/.336/.409 (hitting .309 at AAA). 16.8% K/PA, but just 4 walks in 149 PA is worrisome. He's had this pattern before - last year in A+ he didn't hit a HR until the last game of April, didn't have his third until late May, but finished with 15. This year the early promotion may have delayed it a bit, but I'd guess that power shows up very soon. He also only walked 5 times in his first 30 games last year (into May), finished with 38.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
Birmingham getting their brains beaten in.

Anyone starting to become at least mildly concerned that Danish isn't going to get away with 89-93 MPH stuff in AA, compared to A ball?

4-0 is "getting their brains beaten in"? Have you looked at the Kanny game?

Yes and no on Danish. Velocity is one thing, but every scout who's watched him refers to the movement on all his pitches as some form of filthy. What that does mean though is, I'd bet he's a guy who has a few really good games, then one really bad one if his stuff flattens out. There won't be any in-between.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2015 -> 06:27 PM)
Yes and no on Danish. Velocity is one thing, but every scout who's watched him refers to the movement on all his pitches as some form of filthy. What that does mean though is, I'd bet he's a guy who has a few really good games, then one really bad one if his stuff flattens out. There won't be any in-between.

Until he figures out how to get lefties out, he's going to have a tough time remaining as a starter when he makes the majors. He's the main trade chip the Sox should use if they want to add at the deadline, in my opinion.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
4-0 is "getting their brains beaten in"? Have you looked at the Kanny game?

I think 7-0 in the first 3-4 innings qualifies.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
Until he figures out how to get lefties out, he's going to have a tough time remaining as a starter when he makes the majors. He's the main trade chip the Sox should use if they want to add at the deadline, in my opinion.

With his arm angle, the change-up will have to be very good, and probably he needs to add another angle on a breaking ball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
Kanny getting destroyed. Lowry got battered, but it was his first bad outing of the year.

Can you (anyone) tell us about Ryan Plourde? He looks like a minor league free agent Catcher. Hitting well in a limited sample size. There is very very very little available on him online.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)

Can you (anyone) tell us about Ryan Plourde? He looks like a minor league free agent Catcher. Hitting well in a limited sample size. There is very very very little available on him online.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 20, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)

Undrafted free agent from Fairfield University, where he hit .323 with a .435 on-base percentage over 4 years with 14 homers (including 39 walks and 10 strikeouts as a senior). Hit .290/.436/.548 with the AZL White Sox last year, and now .350/.519/.450 with Kanny so far.

His problem seems to be he doesn't have a position, he's listed variously as catcher/designated hitter and he played outfield as well as catching at Fairfax. Long road for a designated hitter with minimal power, especially in an org that doesn't seem to really value BB:K ratio.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 20, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 20, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
Undrafted free agent from Fairfield University, where he hit .323 with a .435 on-base percentage over 4 years with 14 homers (including 39 walks and 10 strikeouts as a senior). Hit .290/.436/.548 with the AZL White Sox last year, and now .350/.519/.450 with Kanny so far.

His problem seems to be he doesn't have a position, he's listed variously as catcher/designated hitter and he played outfield as well as catching at Fairfax. Long road for a designated hitter with minimal power, especially in an org that doesn't seem to really value BB:K ratio.

He's definitely a catcher, that's basically all he's played in the org and that's what they signed him as.

As you said though, big college hitter at a small school. He's a backup, so he's an org guy and I wouldn't invest much there. That said, its worth noting that the org released or traded a whole bunch of other backup C's and even some guys that looked like starters earlier, during the offseason, but kept Plourde. And guys like Zac Fisher are still unassigned. So they clearly think more of Plourde than some others.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)
He's definitely a catcher, that's basically all he's played in the org and that's what they signed him as.

As you said though, big college hitter at a small school. He's a backup, so he's an org guy and I wouldn't invest much there. That said, its worth noting that the org released or traded a whole bunch of other backup C's and even some guys that looked like starters earlier, during the offseason, but kept Plourde. And guys like Zac Fisher are still unassigned. So they clearly think more of Plourde than some others.

Thanks to both for the insight provided. I ran across Plourde the other day and couldn't find much about him, he does seem like he can hit a little (albeit in a very limited sample size). He's 23 and still in Low-A so his prospect status is definitely iffy to non-existent. Then again, he's a catcher and catchers usually take a little bit longer to develop.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)

Why was Jose Barraza released? I guess I could ask the same of Ayala in 2014... For a team with almost zero in the way of catching prospects, they sure are quick to release guys whop were supposed to have "tools"

Edited by Butter Parque

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ May 21, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
Why was Jose Barraza released? I guess I could ask the same of Ayala in 2014... For a team with almost zero in the way of catching prospects, they sure are quick to release guys whop were supposed to have "tools"

Those were both surprises to me as well, but I hadn't heard many reports that meant anything so who knows what was going on there.