What a putrid offense...

harkness99

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you might find the following stats interesting. This is the comparison of Adam Dunn's first two months with the Sox, and Adam La Roche's numbers, with one week to go to reach the same

one quarter of a season mark:

AVG OBP 2B HR RBI BB SO

.190 .333 10 5 23 35 69

.218 .358 5 4 16 26 44

"I'm not say'in. I'm just say'in".

I really hope that we won't be stuck with the second coming of Adam Dunn, for the next two years.

But it's not lookin' good.

Edited by Lillian

LaRoche is a notorious slow starter, so maybe he'll end up ok and be a big part of second half bounce back.

The biggest difference between LaRoche and Dunn are the years. After one year of Dunn, the thought of three more years was more scary.

We don't even know what LaRoche will be this year, and even if it sucks, there's only one more year.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 24, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
LaRoche is a notorious slow starter, so maybe he'll end up ok and be a big part of second half bounce back.

The biggest difference between LaRoche and Dunn are the years. After one year of Dunn, the thought of three more years was more scary.

We don't even know what LaRoche will be this year, and even if it sucks, there's only one more year.

I agree that we don't know what he will do, however I wouldn't be as unconcerned as you would be, if indeed he is terrible for the rest of this year, and

next year. I've practically given up on this year, but it will be very disappointing if they can't right this ship next season, with our good young, reasonably

signed players. Next year is the beginning of what I perceive is our realistic window to compete.

I haven't given up on this year because they don't have a chance. They aren't that far out of it, but they just don't seem to have all of the pieces, and La Roche

is one of the problems, if he can't adequately fill the hole, which he was signed to fill. They fixed several problems in this last off season, but they need to fix a few more for next.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 24, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
I agree that we don't know what he will do, however I wouldn't be as unconcerned as you would be, if indeed he is terrible for the rest of this year, and

next year. I've practically given up on this year, but it will be very disappointing if they can't right this ship next season, with our good young, reasonably

signed players. Next year is the beginning of what I perceive is our realistic window to compete.

I haven't given up on this year because they don't have a chance. They aren't that far out of it, but they just don't seem to have all of the pieces, and La Roche

is one of the problems, if he can't adequately fill the hole, which he was signed to fill. They fixed several problems in this last off season, but they need to fix a few more for next.

I haven't given up either on this year but the Sox are one more bad stretch from being double digits out of 1st place. Not too many teams recover from that.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ May 24, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
I haven't given up either on this year but the Sox are one more bad stretch from being double digits out of 1st place. Not too many teams recover from that.

Don't even pay attention to that. The Sox are in the American League Wildcard Division. For now, they're chasing 88 wins, and nothing more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
Coming into yesterday's game, LaRoche had a .443 OBP his last 18 games.

Why is the target on him just getting bigger here?

Laroche just seems now to be the 'flavor of the day.' Some need someone to hate on. The entire offense is bad and our super stud starters have not been as sharp as we would have hoped. Lots of issues right now, but whether we win this year or not I think we have talent and they just need to gel as a team. I think things will get better

Eaton, Melky, Abreu, Alexi at my last look were all 100-150 OPS below projections/last yr/career avg. Oddly LaRoche , Conner, Flowers were pretty much at projections yet they get all the grief. This is a team thing, hopefully they come out of it together but we all see guys pressing and trying to hit five run homers.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:43 AM)
I will say that I liked every signing at first blush except the LaRoche signing. Then I talked myself into it. Well, so far, he's looking like a bust and a lot of it is the Sox refusal to bench him against most LHP and play him moreso than Jose at 1B. He should be playing 1B 100 games and Jose 62, instead it's going to be like Jose 120 and LaRoche 42.

OPS at .790 this month with a .432 OBP

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 22, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
I think if you put Sanchez in the two hole he may be a little bit more patient. He's a smart baseball guy.

Your kidding right??? Some genius in this organization called up Sanchez while he was in a slump in Charlotte. Besides his average dropping over 60 points, in 3 weeks his biggest problem all year in Charlotte was he seldom walks. He had 4 the first 6 weeks and none the last 3. But he was called up for defense so we now have a guy who won't hit his weight. He is not patient at the plate. Johnson wasn't ready defensively and Sanchez is not ready offensively.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 24, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
Do not let facts cloud your reasoning. LaRoche (LaDunn?) has parallels with Dunn so he's the problem. It's not that our 1-2 hitters who had OBPs over .350 last year can't crack .300 this year. It's not that our best hitter is having a sophomore slump. It's not that our reigning Silver Slugger shortstop is hitting at the worst rates on his career. And it's definitely not because our C, 2B and 3B are offensive black holes. The offense is in a bad place and that's obvious. Trying to pin this on one player is entirely silly. We had holes and they are still holes. We have productive players and they are not performing to their ability. At some point this will flip to an extent and regress to the mean. That's not to say this team is capable of being an elite offense but they most definitely can hit better than they are hitting right now.

The 12th in the AL ERA from their starters isn't helping either.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 24, 2015 -> 07:28 PM)
Do not let facts cloud your reasoning. LaRoche (LaDunn?) has parallels with Dunn so he's the problem. It's not that our 1-2 hitters who had OBPs over .350 last year can't crack .300 this year. It's not that our best hitter is having a sophomore slump. It's not that our reigning Silver Slugger shortstop is hitting at the worst rates on his career. And it's definitely not because our C, 2B and 3B are offensive black holes. The offense is in a bad place and that's obvious. Trying to pin this on one player is entirely silly. We had holes and they are still holes. We have productive players and they are not performing to their ability. At some point this will flip to an extent and regress to the mean. That's not to say this team is capable of being an elite offense but they most definitely can hit better than they are hitting right now.

I think Jose will turn it around soon. Let's not forget he just had a 17 game hitting streak.

Catcher needs to be upgraded badly. There is no hope for Flowers and the farm is bare.

Third as well. It might just be time to experiment with Davidson and hope a promotion makes him so excited to be in the bigs that he hits well. Or see if Gordon can be slightly better with starting time at 3rd.

You just hope for the best with Carlos or Micah right now.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 24, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Laroche just seems now to be the 'flavor of the day.' Some need someone to hate on. The entire offense is bad and our super stud starters have not been as sharp as we would have hoped. Lots of issues right now, but whether we win this year or not I think we have talent and they just need to gel as a team. I think things will get better

So are we saying LaRoche is a good hitter? Are we happy with what he's put up? Just wondering.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 24, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)

Good point here. I was getting a little facty. Another thing to think about when ignoring the 1 and 2 hitters and the overall terrible starting pitching is that the manager keeps totally losing all of the games for us.

There are, however, red flags that still need addressing. The defense continues to be an issue as errors have had a demoralizing effect on this group. Early deficits have proved costly. And the offense has shown very few signs of life, making those early runs the pitching staff has given up a monumental challenge to overcome.

If there were easy answers, the White Sox would love to know.

“If you can find that out tell me as soon as you can because if you could find that out that would be very helpful to us and we could use that,” Eaton said.

www.csnchicago.com

QUOTE (Vance Law @ May 25, 2015 -> 04:11 AM)
**refuses to engage with greg**

I wasn't trying to argue. I was wondering if soxtalk was happy with LaRoche's bat or not. Legit question not trying to be a dick at this time.

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 25, 2015 -> 05:47 AM)
Too many easy outs in this lineup. Not enough impact hitters.

I was just thinking it's really hard to like this team. It generally falls behind early, the hitters won't take walks and their approach at the plate is very annoying. Do you guys agree with me or is it just me? This team is hard to love, at least for me.

The only time I love this team is when Robertson is pitching for some reason.

Agree or disagree on the likeability of this club?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2015 -> 03:45 AM)
I was just thinking it's really hard to like this team. It generally falls behind early, the hitters won't take walks and their approach at the plate is very annoying. Do you guys agree with me or is it just me? This team is hard to love, at least for me.

The only time I love this team is when Robertson is pitching for some reason.

Agree or disagree on the likeability of this club?

Those games during their winning streak were fun, we had games where the teams were going back and forth and you actually saw the white sox fighting back after being down. That's happened a bunch of times this year and that's kinda exciting. That's probably the positive for watching them. Also can get a bit excited to see Rodon's games.

On the other hand you've got a strong case that this isn't a very watchable team. As stated many times they're sloppy as can be, watching a circus isn't all that fun. There's also no one doing anything special statistically - last year Jose Abreu was extremely watchable, Sale and Quintana were quite watchable, even if they had weakness around them you could tune in and see something special. This year none of them are doing anything particularly impressive.

So we've got a losing team that fights back occasionally but is struggling in almost every aspect of the game and is sloppy in the process with no one performing like a star and young guys who have a lot to learn so they're not impressing yet. Not exactly must-see TV right now.