5/24 Games

GGajewski18

Seems like a lot of players are slumping hitting for the Sox minors. Davidson looks like he's going to end up being a massive bust unfortunately.

I know I might be in the minority, but is anyone else disappointed in the progress of the system so far this year?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
Seems like a lot of players are slumping hitting for the Sox minors. Davidson looks like he's going to end up being a massive bust unfortunately.

I know I might be in the minority, but is anyone else disappointed in the progress of the system so far this year?

I feel like last year was a bigger disappointment with seemingly "everyone struggling or hurt". This year some guys are up some guys are down early.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 24, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
Who's really down though? Adams for sure. Davidson is repeating last year basically. Montas hasn't been nearly as effective but isn't struggling necessarily.

I was expecting more from Adams and Montas, as I thought they were 3-4 in terms of our prospects. They haven't been bad, just not elite. In general it just seems no one has really taken a step forward to become a possible big league contributor in the future they we weren't already counting on (Guerrero would be the most improved)

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
I was expecting more from Adams and Montas, as I thought they were 3-4 in terms of our prospects. They haven't been bad, just not elite. In general it just seems no one has really taken a step forward to become a possible big league contributor in the future they we weren't already counting on (Guerrero would be the most improved)

Step back for just a second though. Montas threw 81 innings last year and jumped up to BHam as a starter. That's a lot to overcome. Spencer Adams is 19, 1 year out of high school, and he's in Kanny. Use a "normal team" calendar not a "White Sox" calendar where anyone who isn't in the big leagues by 20 is a failure and they're both making big jumps this year already.

Haven't read any scouting reports but might Montas be working on an offspeed pitch? Seems like that and health are his biggest barriers to starting and he can't do as much about the latter.

The lack of strikeouts + the uptick in groundball outs makes me think maybe.

Or maybe its just a phase.

I do appreciate that Jacob May basically decided to stop striking out.

Charlotte Top of the 9th

Pitching Change: Cesar Jimenez replaces Colton Murray.

Micah Johnson singles on a line drive to left fielder Cody Asche.

Leury Garcia ground bunts into a force out, pitcher Cesar Jimenez to shortstop Chase d'Arnaud. Micah Johnson out at 2nd. Leury Garcia to 1st.

Neftali Soto grounds out, shortstop Chase d'Arnaud to first baseman Russ Canzler. Leury Garcia to 2nd.

Matt Davidson doubles (8) on a fly ball to center fielder Jordan Danks. Leury Garcia scores.

Matt Tuiasosopo singles on a ground ball to shortstop Chase d'Arnaud. Matt Davidson to 3rd.

Trayce Thompson singles on a sharp line drive to right fielder Domonic Brown. Matt Davidson scores. Matt Tuiasosopo to 2nd.

Jason Coats grounds into a force out, fielded by shortstop Chase d'Arnaud. Trayce Thompson out at 2nd.

When it mattered, the big bats came through at the end. Good job Knights!

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)

Maybe it's kind of "OK, here we go I expect some BIG things from some of Rick Hahn's draftees/acquisitions" and although they've been good, they haven't dominated.

Hawkins is developing well at AA. Still only 20.

Danish too.

Thompson, for his lack of batting average the last two years, is doing well at AAA.

Montas is learning his craft. So is Adams...Rodon as well in a "learn on the job" phase ala Alex Fernandez and Jack McDowell.

Tim Anderson is hitting the ball well at AA, just need to develop a more patient eye, perhaps?

It's on the upswing, guys. Keep the faith. Go Sox.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 24, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
Maybe it's kind of "OK, here we go I expect some BIG things from some of Rick Hahn's draftees/acquisitions" and although they've been good, they haven't dominated.

Hawkins is developing well at AA. Still only 20.

Danish too.

Thompson, for his lack of batting average the last two years, is doing well at AAA.

Montas is learning his craft. So is Adams...Rodon as well in a "learn on the job" phase ala Alex Fernandez and Jack McDowell.

Tim Anderson is hitting the ball well at AA, just need to develop a more patient eye, perhaps?

It's on the upswing, guys. Keep the faith. Go Sox.

See, I completely disagree. The only person in that group who is showing real signs of development is Danish. He is the youngest guy in the Southern League and performing pretty darn well overall. I am not concerned about Adams due to his age relative to the league, but undeniably, he is not performing as well as we probably would've hoped.

Hawkins continues to flounder in my opinion. He doesn't walk enough to justify his high strikeout rate. Thompson ditto. Tim Anderson will never be a solid major-league baseball player if he cannot walk. He is not hitting extra-base hits like he should and his defense continues to be suspect. Anderson's ability to be a solid major-league baseball player is entirely tied to his offense and right now I am not seeing enough of a progression there to be any more optimistic about his future. There is still plenty of time, no doubt, so I'm not completely writing him off at all. But you would like to see a little bit more progress.

I am very disappointed in the progress this year of our minor-league system. We simply cannot develop offensive talent. It's a shame and it's terrible for future.

So far this year in terms of legit prospects, I am only pleased with the progress of Guerrero and Danish.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 25, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
See, I completely disagree. The only person in that group who is showing real signs of development is Danish. He is the youngest guy in the Southern League and performing pretty darn well overall. I am not concerned about Adams due to his age relative to the league, but undeniably, he is not performing as well as we probably would've hoped.

Hawkins continues to flounder in my opinion. He doesn't walk enough to justify his high strikeout rate. Thompson ditto. Tim Anderson will never be a solid major-league baseball player if he cannot walk. He is not hitting extra-base hits like he should and his defense continues to be suspect. Anderson's ability to be a solid major-league baseball player is entirely tied to his offense and right now I am not seeing enough of a progression there to be any more optimistic about his future. There is still plenty of time, no doubt, so I'm not completely writing him off at all. But you would like to see a little bit more progress.

I am very disappointed in the progress this year of our minor-league system. We simply cannot develop offensive talent. It's a shame and it's terrible for future.

So far this year in terms of legit prospects, I am only pleased with the progress of Guerrero and Danish.

Prospects are what they are. They do not all pan out. If you look at your BA Top 100 list, only 20-30% of them end up having a decent ML career. That percentage is even less with your org top 10. Honestly, if only Rodon, Danish, Micah and Trey pans out as starters from our top 10, and you get a couple of lower ranked guys like Coats, May and Guerrero turn into quality reserves, that's a pretty successful system right there.