Midseason Additions

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
That seems like a very weak package for a solid player. Decent chance there's not a major leaguer amongst that package.

You're right. Throwing in Anderson and a BP arm would likely be a necessity. I also have the tendency to overrate our prospects worth.

How does...

Anderson, Montas, Davidson, Hawkins and Sanburn sound?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
If you're drafting a SS and thinking "he'll take over the big league position in 1-2 years" and making trades based on that, you're out of your mind.

people have question that at times.

but i am thinking of a 2 yr time.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
people have question that at times.

but i am thinking of a 2 yr time.

It doesn't matter. Projecting a guy you just drafted to be in the big leagues that rapidly and contributing is a recipe for completely screwing up. Heck, projecting a guy in AA to be in the big leagues in a couple years and making trades based on that can be dicey.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
You're right. Throwing in Anderson and a BP arm would likely be a necessity. I also have the tendency to overrate our prospects worth.

How does...

Anderson, Montas, Davidson, Hawkins and Sanburn sound?

Like the kind of "empty our system" package that might get him but it also sounds like a package the white sox won't do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
It doesn't matter. Projecting a guy you just drafted to be in the big leagues that rapidly and contributing is a recipe for completely screwing up. Heck, projecting a guy in AA to be in the big leagues in a couple years and making trades based on that can be dicey.

well it looks as i am batting 1000 in being wrong today. :angry:

Does Sandy Alomar Jr count as a mid-season addition? I wanted him when RV was hired and then that RV has had his time to shine. Nothing against him in particular, but sometimes you just need a different voice. I think Hahn is stuck though, I can't see JR letting him get rid of RV in the middle of any season. Most likely it would be at the end of a season and he would be "promoted" to an off the field role.

Adding more declining veterans (i.e. this list) will just create more problems.

This team's defensive lapses have been a big contributor to the poor start; this is a groundball pitching staff. You cannot back these pitchers up with an infield clown show. Yet, people can't wait to do it.

These are the kind of players that put the Sox into this mess.

Pass

The Sox need to add some of their own to the list

Edited by GreenSox

I think Lucroy is being way overrated. There aren't many players that are going to pull 4 of the top 7 or 8 players from a team's farm system, no matter how bad the system is, and Lucroy is not one of those players.

Justin Upton only pulled 2 of SD's top 10(#3 and #7) and 3(#14) of their top 20 plus an outside the top 20 Mallex Smith.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
I think Lucroy is being way overrated. There aren't many players that are going to pull 4 of the top 7 or 8 players from a team's farm system, no matter how bad the system is, and Lucroy is not one of those players.

Justin Upton only pulled 2 of SD's top 10(#3 and #7) and 3(#14) of their top 20 plus an outside the top 20 Mallex Smith.

you got a point, but many teams knows that the sox may be a little desperate, so the cost may be higher.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)

It's all about affordable team control remaining. Upton was a one-year rental at $13m, Lucroy comes with 2.5 seasons at a total cost of less than $10m for the duration. That's why he'll be more valuable if he moves.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
It's all about affordable team control remaining. Upton was a one-year rental at $13m, Lucroy comes with 2.5 seasons at a total cost of less than $10m for the duration. That's why he'll be more valuable if he moves.

and both comes with a comp pick, if the value of the comp is not to much.

Here comes the hero-worship.

He's the greatest ever. The elite, the best of the best.

Trade every decent prospect we have for one player. Go for it! And if we still suck, we'll still have a hero.

Who cares about defensive holes on half the diamond, back end of the rotation, underachieving veterans, and utility-ceiling bench.

One player will solve the problems.

Or you can build an organization and get these players on their upward trajectory without giving away all the young players, as so many are want to do.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
Here comes the hero-worship.

He's the greatest ever. The elite, the best of the best.

Trade every decent prospect we have for one player. Go for it! And if we still suck, we'll still have a hero.

Who cares about defensive holes on half the diamond, back end of the rotation, underachieving veterans, and utility-ceiling bench.

One player will solve the problems.

Or you can build an organization and get these players on their upward trajectory without giving away all the young players, as so many are want to do.

At the same time, the vast majority of these prospects will fail and add zero value to the organization (or even negative when you factor in wasted development time). Hold onto them all and you're wasting a ton of value. Like everything in life, there has to be balance.

That's why being excellent at self-scouting is critical. Move the guys you think will fail before other organizations come to that same conclusion. I agree that emptying the system for one guy is typically a bad idea, especially when you have multiple needs to fill. However, you also have to factor in the majority of our prospects are highly flawed or extremely far away and a lot can still go wrong. We can't be afraid to move some of these guys if we can get a sure-fire major leaguer with multiple years of team control at a position of need. I know it's easier said than done, but it's up to the front office to trade the right ones.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0602-story.html

Hahn still wants to add to the club but has contingencies in place if they continue to flounder.

The team is in dead last in its division and 7 games out. We have the 5th worst record in the AL. Their offense is just brutal by every measurable category. I don't see the Sox hopping the 4-5 teams it will take to make the playoffs. Sad to say, but it's June 3 and this season is already over. Would love to see if someone can dig up the stats to see how many teams in the past 5 years have made the playoffs while being in dead last at the start of June. Betting it's very few. And this Sox doesn't strike me as the "exception" to the norm. Would give this team 3 more weeks to turn it around, and then start putting some of those contingencies in place.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
The team is in dead last in its division and 7 games out. We have the 5th worst record in the AL. Their offense is just brutal by every measurable category. I don't see the Sox hopping the 4-5 teams it will take to make the playoffs. Sad to say, but it's June 3 and this season is already over. Would love to see if someone can dig up the stats to see how many teams in the past 5 years have made the playoffs while being in dead last at the start of June. Betting it's very few. And this Sox doesn't strike me as the "exception" to the norm. Would give this team 3 more weeks to turn it around, and then start putting some of those contingencies in place.

Shark may be worth alot esp for team who need a front end pitcher in the playoff. if not, screw it, offer him a qualifying offer. if Shark takes it, good, he can help in an improve team for next yr, if not, a comp pick.

all this is of course based on the rtn of the team wanting to trade for him.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)

4 games under .500 on June 3 does not end the season. With 2 WC in today's game, a .500 record on August 1 and you're in the thick of things. That means the SOX need to play 4 games over .500 the next two months. The season is over if the Sox continue to play as they have the first 50 or so games, but c'mon...these comments are just stupid.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
4 games under .500 on June 3 does not end the season. With 2 WC in today's game, a .500 record on August 1 and you're in the thick of things. That means the SOX need to play 4 games over .500 the next two months. The season is over if the Sox continue to play as they have the first 50 or so games, but c'mon...these comments are just stupid.

Sox are 23-27. They've played 50 games. Since 1995, less than 10% of the teams that won their division had won 25 games or less after 54 games of baseball played.

As for wildcard spots after 54 games played, less than 25% of the teams that made the wildcard had 25 wins or less.

The odds and history are not on this team's side. And, as I said, Sox do not appear to be the "exception to the norm" with respect to these statistics.

So tell me, why are my comments stupid?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)

i know this conversation is not meant for me, but come on, everyone on this board has a right to voice their opinion with fear of getting belittled.

btw, on the lighter side, as long you and everyone knows that i am always right.

Edited by LDF

Are the Sox likely to bounce back and win the division? No, but this season is definately not over and there are still things worth looking forward to even if the Sox as a team do not rebound.

The further development of young guys like Rodon and Avi.

Abreu, Sale, Q rebounding from a rough start to the season.

Robinson has plugged a huge hole and looks good.

Duke is having a nice year.

IMO, Eaton will bounce back.

Its not just about 2015 but 2016 as well. Some good will come from this season and help next season. Could be player development, rebounding vet or exposing holes ( in progress) that the Sox can address before ST 2016.

This season is not lost.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
Are the Sox likely to bounce back and win the division? No, but this season is definately not over and there are still things worth looking forward to even if the Sox as a team do not rebound.

The further development of young guys like Rodon and Avi.

Abreu, Sale, Q rebounding from a rough start to the season.

Robinson has plugged a huge hole and looks good.

Duke is having a nice year.

IMO, Eaton will bounce back.

Its not just about 2015 but 2016 as well. Some good will come from this season and help next season. Could be player development, rebounding vet or exposing holes ( in progress) that the Sox can address before ST 2016.

This season is not lost.

"We're developing for 2016" is pretty much the definition of 2015 being lost.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Sox are 23-27. They've played 50 games. Since 1995, less than 10% of the teams that won their division had won 25 games or less after 54 games of baseball played.

As for wildcard spots after 54 games played, less than 25% of the teams that made the wildcard had 25 wins or less.

The odds and history are not on this team's side. And, as I said, Sox do not appear to be the "exception to the norm" with respect to these statistics.

So tell me, why are my comments stupid?

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have thought the totals were that high.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
They are like 3 games back of the 2nd wildcard. The season is definitely not over.

There is 1 team in the AL more than 4.5 games out of the 2nd wild card.

If every team currently within 4.5 games of the 2nd wild card thinks they're competitive, then there will literally be 4 teams in baseball selling to 26 other teams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
There is 1 team in the AL more than 4.5 games out of the 2nd wild card.

If every team currently within 4.5 games of the 2nd wild card thinks they're competitive, then there will literally be 4 teams in baseball selling to 26 other teams.

That's pretty much exactly how it's been since the 2nd WC was implemented.