White Sox vs Blue Jays 5/27 game thread

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 27, 2015 -> 09:09 PM)
I'm a fan of Robin's decision to let Roberston back in there.

I think he had just about had to do it. He would have been cruxified on this site if Robertson blew it again but the decision was sound and worked

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 27, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
glad to see him keep Robertson out there to finish it off. Need him to be confident.

I don't think we need to worry about him being confident. When Robin came out to the mound you could tell he was calm and confident like "I got this."

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 27, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)
I think he had just about had to do it. He would have been cruxified on this site if Robertson blew it again but the decision was sound and worked

Good decision by Ventura. Bringing in a hack reliever could have been fatal. Robertson had to wrap this one up and worry about the DH tomorrow. I would assume Duke will close in Baltimore.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
Thankfully they scored in the 10th. Dragging this game out a few more innings could have been bad in more ways than one.

At least it wasn't a West Coast night game.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 27, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
Well, they won, good job. That said, starting to get to the point in the year where you look at pythag and go "this team isn't very good".

A 5-3 victory in extras against the Jays is a nice start, but this team has a long way to go to turn it around.

7 of 9 starting players with negative WARs already told me that

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 27, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
7 of 9 starting players with negative WARs already told me that

Its actually amazing that they have the record they do with that stat.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 27, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Its actually amazing that they have the record they do with that stat.

I'm not entirely sure how Rick will fix this. While Ventura isn't near the best manager, the players are massively underachieving. Need upgrades at C, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, and CF.

Edit: I really hate thinking about what the Sox could've been if they spent money on Russell Martin and traded for Josh Donaldson instead of what they did.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 27, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I'm not entirely sure how Rick will fix this. While Ventura isn't near the best manager, the players are massively underachieving. Need upgrades at C, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, and CF.

Edit: I really hate thinking about what the Sox could've been if they spent money on Russell Martin and traded for Josh Donaldson instead of what they did.

Our current LF and CF arent going anywhere so they can get off that list...but the rest, yeah those need upgrades.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 27, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
Our current LF and CF arent going anywhere so they can get off that list...but the rest, yeah those need upgrades.

Exactly, which is also a big problem. If Eaton and Melky (our teams worst two players right now by WAR) aren't consistently 2-3 win players over the next few years, the Sox need a lot of production out of those other spots to eve sniff the playoffs.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 27, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)

Melky might be the acquisition that gets Hahn fired. No power for a guy in a power hitter's body. Bad fielder. He is pretty much useless in modern, non bulked up baseball.

Fun with numbers.

Addison Reed in 2012 through the beginning of July, 2-1, 13/14 saves, 4 holds.

David Robertson, 9/12 in saves.

And the Minnesota Twins are now in 1st place.

The Tigers are just 1 GB without Verlander, just beat the A's two out of three while scoring just 4 runs in 3 days.

Joakim Soria is 15/16 converting saves, and "only" getting paid $7 million.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
Fun with numbers.

Addison Reed in 2012 through the beginning of July, 2-1, 13/14 saves, 4 holds.

David Robertson, 9/12 in saves.

And the Minnesota Twins are now in 1st place.

The Tigers are just 1 GB without Verlander, just beat the A's two out of three while scoring just 4 runs in 3 days.

Joakim Soria is 15/16 converting saves, and "only" getting paid $7 million.

And 2 pf his 3 blown save the White Sox still won the game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
And 2 pf his 3 blown save the White Sox still won the game.

Except $46 million dollar closers are paid to save games.

And he's now unavailable tomorrow because he had to be overextended at least three times now into multiple inning save opportunities in the last couple of weeks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)
Except $46 million dollar closers are paid to save games.

And he's now unavailable tomorrow because he had to be overextended at least three times now into multiple inning save opportunities in the last couple of weeks.

And while you are talking Soria, how come no mention how much they had to pay him to suck and be on the DL last year?

He may be available tomorrow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
And while you are talking Soria, how come no mention how much they had to pay him to suck and be on the DL last year?

He may be available tomorrow.

Those are the expenses incurred for putting a winning team out on the field.

He was an expensive insurance policy, but became terribly relevant when Rondon was injured, Nathan was injured and Chamberlain became untrustworthy.

Nobody cares what Addison Reed did the first half of 2012 because of the 2nd half.

In the end, the numbers on the back of the baseball card aren't as reliably used as predictors like KW often claimed...