White Sox vs Orioles Game 1

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 28, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
Sanchez is so non-threatening at the plate. A 3-1 90 mph fastball in the middle of the plate and he lofts it harmlessly to the left fielder.

No offense, but you seem to think hitting baseballs is pretty easy. Why don't you take your knowledge, apply it, take up the game, and make $30 million a year?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
Just terrible...move LaRoche up to the 2nd spot

Im all for this. Him and Shuck appear to be the best current options.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 28, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
I am beginning to wonder IF Sanchez or Johnson will be average MLB players at this point. Not looking that way right now.

Still lots of time for them, especially with Johnson. With that said, I think Anderson is the 2nd baseman of the future.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
No offense, but you seem to think hitting baseballs is pretty easy. Why don't you take your knowledge, apply it, take up the game, and make $30 million a year?

Quite obviously I don't think that. Any analysis I make on major league baseball players is within the context of MLB and MiLB. When I say Sanchez is non-threatening at the plate, I'm comparing him in the context of an extremely high standard. I would have thought that went without saying.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
Which is all better than 0.

But he's a comfortably worse pitcher when he's not regularly throwing three pitches. I'd rather an elite Sale with the possibility of injury (which has already been heavily reduced) than a simply really good pitcher with a further reduced chance of injury.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 28, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Quite obviously I don't think that. Any analysis I make on major league baseball players is within the context of MLB and MiLB. When I say Sanchez is non-threatening at the plate, I'm comparing him in the context of an extremely high standard. I would have thought that went without saying.

I don't think Sanchez is a great hitter by any stretch, but you need to put things into context. Rookies on the major league level with a few exceptions, generally struggle. 90 MPH fastballs down the middle aren't always hit 450 feet by the greatest hitters. Go to a game and watch batting practice, or better yet, watch a pro golfer hit a ball off a tee, and watch how many times they actually don't hit that correctly, and that is hitting a still object with a flat object.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 28, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
But he's a comfortably worse pitcher when he's not regularly throwing three pitches. I'd rather an elite Sale with the possibility of injury (which has already been heavily reduced) than a simply really good pitcher with a further reduced chance of injury.

The White Sox have always dealt with pitching in this respect. They don't have their guys throwing full out all of the time, and they are very careful about surgery causing pitches. They are already working on that kind stuff with Rodon.

They feel the fall off is much less, then if you were to spend a year and a half of having [insert triple A pitcher] pitch while a Sale or Rodon sits out after Tommy John.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
The White Sox have always dealt with pitching in this respect. They don't have their guys throwing full out all of the time, and they are very careful about surgery causing pitches. They are already working on that kind stuff with Rodon.

They feel the fall off is much less, then if you were to spend a year and a half of having [insert triple A pitcher] pitch while a Sale or Rodon sits out after Tommy John.

If Chris Sale can't throw his slider more than 10% of the time without getting injured they need to have Chris Sale throw his slider 20% of the time for a month or two and then trade him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
I don't think Sanchez is a great hitter by any stretch, but you need to put things into context. Rookies on the major league level with a few exceptions, generally struggle. 90 MPH fastballs down the middle aren't always hit 450 feet by the greatest hitters. Go to a game and watch batting practice, or better yet, watch a pro golfer hit a ball off a tee, and watch how many times they actually don't hit that correctly, and that is hitting a still object with a flat object.

And again, obviously I'm not simply judging him on one pitch. He hasn't just struggled, he's hit .179/.233/.231 , good for a 26 wRC+, a full 74% off league average. Last year he was at 54. Anything below 60 is considered awful. Bar a couple of BABIP-fuelled streaks he hasn't really hit in the upper minors either. He's obviously young, but it's no exaggeration to call him non-threatening at the plate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)

And yet they had Don Cooper on the radio saying he was gonna get Sale to throw it more?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
If Chris Sale can't throw his slider more than 10% of the time without getting injured they need to have Chris Sale throw his slider 20% of the time for a month or two and then trade him.

No s***. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. There isn't a single shred of evidence the Sox have some magic elixir to keep pitchers healthy. Throw the f***ing slider.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 28, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
And again, obviously I'm not simply judging him on one pitch. He hasn't just struggled, he's hit .179/.233/.231 , good for a 26 wRC+, a full 74% off league average. Last year he was at 54. Anything below 60 is considered awful. Bar a couple of BABIP-fuelled streaks he hasn't really hit in the upper minors either. He's obviously young, but it's no exaggeration to call him non-threatening at the plate.

It is funny you dismiss hot streaks due to BABIP, but don't seem to care what his BABIP is up until this point when you just say he is awful at about 30 AB.