White Sox vs Astros Game Thread 5/31

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 31, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
lol, here come the "Danks is turning a corner!" folks. It's like the sun coming up. We'll see if he can continue a 100% strand rate the next time he gives up 10 hits. Come on folks, he is what his last 500 post injury innings say he is -- a .5 WAR starter.

The difference today was that the defense got it done.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 31, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
lol, here come the "Danks is turning a corner!" folks. It's like the sun coming up. We'll see if he can continue a 100% strand rate the next time he gives up 10 hits. Come on folks, he is what his last 500 post injury innings say he is -- a .5 WAR starter.

I like what Rotoworld had to say for all the Danks lovers today.

John Danks pitched a complete game shutout in Sunday's 6-0 win over the Astros.

Gather 'round children, there's a tale to be told here. We might not see John Danks' line against the Astros again this season. Danks allowed 10 hits--including five for extra bases--without letting a run score. The southpaw also struck out six while walking just one. He ended the game the way he lived it: By allowing a double to Evan Gattis and walking Chris Carter before magically escaping trouble. While Danks and his owners will certainly take the win here, we're going to wager that the next time he allows 10 hits, the scoreboard isn't going to be filled up with zeroes.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
I can't figure out why the word "fickle" keeps coming to mind...

Are you saying that you believe that John Danks is going to have a sub 4 ERA for the remainder of the season?

Fans expecting any consistency out of this team will be waiting a long time.

We're still, for the moment at least (CLE and SEA are tied late), in last place out of 5 teams.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2015 -> 06:01 PM)
Are you saying that you believe that John Danks is going to have a sub 4 ERA for the remainder of the season?

Fans expecting any consistency out of this team will be waiting a long time.

We're still, for the moment at least (CLE and SEA are tied late), in last place out of 5 teams.

It is just sad that how many people can't enjoy anything positive, ever.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 31, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
I like what Rotoworld had to say for all the Danks lovers today.

John Danks pitched a complete game shutout in Sunday's 6-0 win over the Astros.

Gather 'round children, there's a tale to be told here. We might not see John Danks' line against the Astros again this season. Danks allowed 10 hits--including five for extra bases--without letting a run score. The southpaw also struck out six while walking just one. He ended the game the way he lived it: By allowing a double to Evan Gattis and walking Chris Carter before magically escaping trouble. While Danks and his owners will certainly take the win here, we're going to wager that the next time he allows 10 hits, the scoreboard isn't going to be filled up with zeroes.

Sox win 6-0. Danks wins goes 9 saves the bullpen and you still have to look for a negative? Can't you just enjoy the win? The team played great today.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)

I think many would be more excited if they believed it would be enough to allow another team to assume Danks' contract.

He had much longer streaks last year of solid pitching, but, even then...it wasn't enough because he slumped right around the time in mid-season when other teams would have been most interested in a starting pitching addition.

Right now, it just feels like we're stuck in that "dead zone" between being competitive and being out of it. And that might be the worst place of all for a fan base, because that's when apathy sets in. People start tuning into other events or summer activities, and the Black Hawks are going to soak up all the attention in the city for the next two weeks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)
Sox win 6-0. Danks wins goes 9 saves the bullpen and you still have to look for a negative? Can't you just enjoy the win? The team played great today.

Comment was directed to those who cannot understand why everyone does not love Danks. Yes he got the win good for him. I love it when he starts and gets bombed the Danks lovers are nowhere to be found, he gets a win then guys are negative for not kissing his ass.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
I think many would be more excited if they believed it would be enough to allow another team to assume Danks' contract.

He had much longer streaks last year of solid pitching, but, even then...it wasn't enough because he slumped right around the time in mid-season when other teams would have been most interested in a starting pitching addition.

Right now, it just feels like we're stuck in that "dead zone" between being competitive and being out of it. And that might be the worst place of all for a fan base, because that's when apathy sets in. People start tuning into other events or summer activities, and the Black Hawks are going to soak up all the attention in the city for the next two weeks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 31, 2015 -> 11:23 PM)
Comment was directed to those who cannot understand why everyone does not love Danks. Yes he got the win good for him. I love it when he starts and gets bombed the Danks lovers are nowhere to be found, he gets a win then guys are negative for not kissing his ass.

i am one of his backers and i wasn't going to post. why, i figure that the win, should be enuf for a positive feel good thread. enjoy the moment and enjoy the fact he completed the game and with a shut out. i thought that would in itself be enuf.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 31, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)

So you love when Danks gets bombed. No one said kiss his ass. But you could acknowledge he pitched pretty well today, and the team hit pretty well today, and they ran the bases pretty well today, and they played defense pretty well today instead you want to focus on Danks will never do that again. He was just lucky.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2015 -> 06:34 PM)
So you love when Danks gets bombed. No one said kiss his ass. But you could acknowledge he pitched pretty well today, and the team hit pretty well today, and they ran the bases pretty well today, and they played defense pretty well today instead you want to focus on Danks will never do that again. He was just lucky.

I said he got the win good for him...................what more you want DA!

Christ.

Our fifth starter got a complete game shutout and didn't lose us the game.

Be happy. Or don't. But save the moaning for another day.

He hasn't turned a corner, but he gave us something positive. Sheesh.

It wasn't the most impressive complete game shutout ever, but he really did pitch a nice ballgame. If he pitched like this again, he'd probably give up a couple of runs. If he had bad luck, he could have given up 3 or 4.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 31, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
It wasn't the most impressive complete game shutout ever, but he really did pitch a nice ballgame. If he pitched like this again, he'd probably give up a couple of runs. If he had bad luck, he could have given up 3 or 4.

Whatever his FIP or XFIP was today doesn't matter. 6-0 is all that matters, and really it might be the best all around game the team has played this season. 4-4 on this trip without Abreu for 2 1/2 games. With Robertson blowing 2 saves including losing a lay up,, now with Samardjiza, Sale and Rodon pitching against Texas, with a bullpen totally rested.

I don't think many if any thought this wiuld be possible a week ago.

The offense scored six runs today without Abreu in the lineup and were on the giving end of a shut out.

With Danks going the distance the pen gets two full days of rest before the Sox face a hot Rangers team on Tuesday.

The Sox will be throwing Samardzija, Sale and Rodon at the Rangers in the upcoming series.

I see no reason to be unhappy. :D

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 12:56 AM)
Considering Houston's ability to hit the ball out of the park, this was a masterful outing by Danks. It's also great that he was able to give everyone in the pen 2 full days off.

Great post, Fathom. Glad u are giving Danks helluva lot of credit. He was GREAT!