White Sox vs Rangers game thread 6/2/15

Wow what a blowout tonight. I know Shark's line was pathetic and it probably doesn't matter, but 7-for-35 with no walks tonight for the offense is really a typical night. With Melky and LaRoche appearing average AT BEST, slightly below average at this stage and no Abreu, this really isn't a big-league lineup. Arguably Sanchez, Soto, Gillaspie and Eaton all couldn't start for any other team in baseball. Meanwhile, Beckham is Beckham. You are talking about a very very weak lineup. I would think this is the series we get swept this road trip. This is the one. We simply can't outscore a team like Texas.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
Wow what a blowout tonight. I know Shark's line was pathetic and it probably doesn't matter, but 7-for-35 with no walks tonight for the offense is really a typical night. With Melky and LaRoche appearing average AT BEST, slightly below average at this stage and no Abreu, this really isn't a big-league lineup. Arguably Sanchez, Soto, Gillaspie and Eaton all couldn't start for any other team in baseball. Meanwhile, Beckham is Beckham. You are talking about a very very weak lineup. I would think this is the series we get swept this road trip. This is the one. We simply can't outscore a team like Texas.

Eaton should be fine...he's the least of the problems going forward at this point, at least in the bottom 3-5 "problems" that could easily be identified and catalogued.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 12:38 AM)
Did Shark used to have better stuff? His stuff looks really pedestrian since he's been with us.

Great observation. Pedestrian is the RIGHT word. Spot on.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 02:28 AM)
Chuck S.... nice guy on the broadcast.

But you guys that think he is good/better than Hawk.... Hawk can be annoying at times but please this guy.

All he does is ask Steve Stone questions...

Him plus 11-2 score making me want to cry.

This is why I always stand up for Hawk. You guys that blast Hawk act like there are a lot of good broadcasters out there. There are not especially in this day and age of being total excuse makers for their teams. That said, I kind of like his style of asking Stoney questions. And yes a lot of play by play guys do that when their color guy is a former player. Get used to the post Hawk era. Hawk is GREAT. There are a lot of lousy announcers out there. No offense to Swirsk. I like him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 02:30 AM)
He was cute for a game or two, but all he can do is ask questions, and it has gotten past annoying. I didn't think it was possible, but he tracks the ball worse then Hawk before eye surgery.

I think Swirsk is as good as any play by play guy not named Hawk or Scully. The rest of em are the same, not so good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 02:42 AM)
Just my preference, but Avi would have been out of the game after his AB in the 8th. No reason to put him back on the field in a blowout.

Great observation! I agree.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 03:33 AM)
Eaton should be fine...he's the least of the problems going forward at this point, at least in the bottom 3-5 "problems" that could easily be identified and catalogued.

But name another team in which he'd be a starter? Are there any? He's actually way worse than DeAza.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
But name another team in which he'd be a starter? Are there any? He's actually way worse than DeAza.

There are at least 8-10.

He's got a guaranteed contract from Hahn for the near future...his OPS has rebounded in May to more or less his normal levels in 2014, the problem was that atrocious start will weigh down his overall stats for another month or two despite how well he plays.

There are plenty of problems with his decision-making both defensively (mostly on throwing) and on the basepaths, but he's a Top 8-10 CF in MLB when he's on his game, like he was for most of last season.

He also needs to pick up his walk rate...anyway, DeAza's no longer with the Orioles, and the White Sox don't have ANYONE who can play everyday to replace Cabrera, Eaton or Garcia. Most common theory is the new contract caused him to put too much pressure on himself to "be the man" and "stir the drink" instead of staying within himself.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../OPS/order/true

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 10:55 PM)
There are at least 8-10.

He's got a guaranteed contract from Hahn for the near future...his OPS has rebounded in May to more or less his normal levels in 2014, the problem was that atrocious start will weigh down his overall stats for another month or two despite how well he plays.

There are plenty of problems with his decision-making both defensively (mostly on throwing) and on the basepaths, but he's a Top 8-10 CF in MLB when he's on his game, like he was for most of last season.

He also needs to pick up his walk rate...anyway, DeAza's no longer with the Orioles, and the White Sox don't have ANYONE who can play everyday to replace Cabrera, Eaton or Garcia. Most common theory is the new contract caused him to put too much pressure on himself to "be the man" and "stir the drink" instead of staying within himself.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../OPS/order/true

It doesn't take other teams very long to realize a guy can't play baseball.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
It doesn't take other teams very long to realize a guy can't play baseball.

He played well for them last year in a limited role and had his typical hot streaks...but he wasn't an everyday player any longer.

this team is not good. It's June, the evidence just keeps mounting. Even with a good staff and good bullpen this is a .500 team. You can't score more than 4 f***ING RUNS A GAME ON A CONSISTENT BASIS YOU AREN'T GONNA WIN s***.

When FA aquisitions, year, after year, after year, continually under perform their projections you have to make changes to the coaching staff. Until those changes are made I don't really think anything will change.

Sad to see another summer gone before last July or August. Damn it.

sigh. pretty much turned this one off after Gallo's home run. Jeff is too inconsistent, offense has a terrible approach at the plate. It was pretty clear how the game was going to go when our offense saw 7 pitches in the first inning and their first batter in the game saw 8 pitches by himself.