Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw an idea on Twitter that makes some sense....Samardzija and Duke to Toronto. I could see them wanting both. The question is what could the Sox get in return?

Then dump Danks in the pen the rest of the year, or at least until they shut down Rodon. But for 2016, they need to look at Danks as sunk cost and release him after this season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
Saw an idea on Twitter that makes some sense....Samardzija and Duke to Toronto. I could see them wanting both. The question is what could the Sox get in return?

Then dump Danks in the pen the rest of the year, or at least until they shut down Rodon. But for 2016, they need to look at Danks as sunk cost and release him after this season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2015...rospects-video/

Probably not enough for Hoffman unless Samardzija goes on a huge tear the next month.

One of those two SS prospects, would be one place to consider. Or Pentecost (catcher).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)

Probably not enough for Hoffman unless Samardzija goes on a huge tear the next month.

One of those two SS prospects, would be one place to consider. Or Pentecost (catcher).

Agreed. Hoffman or Pentecost would be the main piece coming back in a deal in my opinion. Reid Foley, Smith, Jimenez, and Lugo are interesting names as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)

I am not sure why Hoffman is so valued here, he is a guy that has a 4.28 ERA in A ball. He is no where near as valuable as the package that Shark was traded for last summer or even last winter and probably holds as much value as if the Sox were to just hold on to Shark and take the comp pick. They could have had a similar guy (pre-season top 5 guy that was injured) in Matuella this year in the comp round.

Hoffman would be a decent start for a deal, but if they are not going to sweeten it to the point where you feel compelled to make a deal it is senseless to trade Shark.

A Hoffman/Urena package would make sense for both sides. Pentecost's arm may never be the same after sitting out this season after having shoulder surgery so I would be wary of taking him. The good thing for the Sox is that there are going to be more people buying pitching than good pitching that will be available which should help secure a premium value for Shark or Q.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
Agreed. Hoffman or Pentecost would be the main piece coming back in a deal in my opinion. Reid Foley, Smith, Jimenez, and Lugo are interesting names as well.

Pompey has some exciting skills. As for going after injured guys, I still love the idea of going after Stroman.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
I am not sure why Hoffman is so valued here, he is a guy that has a 4.28 ERA in A ball. He is no where near as valuable as the package that Shark was traded for last summer or even last winter and probably holds as much value as if the Sox were to just hold on to Shark and take the comp pick. They could have had a similar guy (pre-season top 5 guy that was injured) in Matuella this year in the comp round.

Hoffman would be a decent start for a deal, but if they are not going to sweeten it to the point where you feel compelled to make a deal it is senseless to trade Shark.

A Hoffman/Urena package would make sense for both sides. Pentecost's arm may never be the same after sitting out this season after having shoulder surgery so I would be wary of taking him. The good thing for the Sox is that there are going to be more people buying pitching than good pitching that will be available which should help secure a premium value for Shark or Q.

Don't judge a guy who has only made 7 starts after coming off almost a year of no pitching. That's ridiculous.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Pompey has some exciting skills. As for going after injured guys, I still love the idea of going after Stroman.

As badly as the Sox need hitting and I would prefer they trade for it, would be difficult to pass on Stroman. That little guy is filthy!

How close do you think Samardzija/Duke for Stroman would be?

I am still leaning towards the Sox trying to sign the Sharkmeister to a 3-5 year deal. Hopefully though the figure is more in line with a sum of $14M a year. The whole team has stunk this year so you can't just say it's Smards faulty and trade him away for unknown commodities. I am of the pinion that we won't see and fire sale as the management thinks next year will be better with the talent we have. Of course we may see some mid-level moves

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
I am still leaning towards the Sox trying to sign the Sharkmeister to a 3-5 year deal. Hopefully though the figure is more in line with a sum of $14M a year. The whole team has stunk this year so you can't just say it's Smards faulty and trade him away for unknown commodities. I am of the pinion that we won't see and fire sale as the management thinks next year will be better with the talent we have. Of course we may see some mid-level moves

Trade him and then try to see if his demands come down a little in off season since he is a free agent and won't require loss of a draft pick.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)

Neither is Samardzija.

And remember my rule on Comp picks. 50% chance of being in the big leagues at all in 5 years. Does Hoffman beat that? I'd say both in time and in chances given the TJS.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)

The White Sox need position players desperately. It would be totally like the White Sox to spend money on pitching and leave the position players they have to fend for themselves.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)

I wouldn't hate that - but as others have said, the Sox clearly need help on offense. Trade the guy for a bat and lets see what Erik Johnson can do. We could always sign him this offseason (although that is probably pretty unlikely if we deal him).

Can we really get that much for Samardzija given that he's struggling and the team would only get him for two months? What would we give up for him from our system if we were in a position like Toronto is right now?

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Can we really get that much for Samardzija given that he's struggling and the team would only get him for two months? What would we give up for him from our system if we were in a position like Toronto is right now?

Right now, it would be 3+ months, but they're probably going to wait as long as they can and see if he can get on a roll.

There have been times this season where Shark has been awesome! He has a track record of being really good. This year we have seen him struggle at times, but overall your getting a pretty darn good pitcher in Samardzija. Since he is Hahn's best trade chip and the Sox are actually in a decent position at the starting pitcher spot in the organization, I say there is a very good chance he is dealt close to that July 31st deadline. This team needs to acquire position player depth badly. I'm not just saying on the main roster, but the farm system is pretty thin at almost every position.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Yet, you think they'll give up Stroman for a rental?

you really have to take each team's priorities. for this example, lets use Hou.

1. when did hou won the WS?

2. when was the last time hou was in the finals for the series.

3. when was the last time they make the playoff.

and lastly, at this time, can they, with the team assembled, can they make the playoff let alone go deep into the series.

now if they have to pay to get those players to help them, and even a chance to win the series, how much would the team pay for that??