2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY ONE

NorthSideSox72

The 2015 White Sox Draft Tracker is now up at Future Sox. Bookmark it. We'll be updating it throughout the next three days for picks, and then for weeks after as players sign.

Schedule:

Day 1 (rounds 1 and 2 plus comps) Monday 6/8 starting 6pm CT

Day 2 (rounds 3-10) Tuesday 6/9 starting 12pm CT

Day 3 (rounds 11-40) Wednesday 6/10 starting 11am CT

Here are some other handy links...

Our Pre-Draft Profiles:

Carson Fulmer

Dillon Tate

Tyler Jay

Walker Buehler

Jon Harris

John Kaprielian

Brady Aiken and Mike Matuella

Best of the Rest (Allard, Benintendi, Bickford, Bregman, Cameron, Funkhouser, Happ, Kirby, Newman, Rodgers, Stephenson, Swanson, Tucker, Whitley)

The Draft Tracker also has links to the MLB.com tracker, and our twitter feed.

Use this thread for discussion. There will also be a closed, single-post thread with draft picks and status, updated by the admins.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not for the Sox going under slot to save money for later rounds. In their history of 4th round selections, the team has only drafted 2 players that have put up more than a 1.0 total WAR for their team. Baldwin and Thigpen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
I think they end up with Illinois LHP Tyler Jay

All the lefties. Stone did say he thought Jay could be in a major league bullpen this season, and the Sox could use another lefty. Then have him work on getting stretched out this winter and go back to the minors.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
All the lefties. Stone did say he thought Jay could be in a major league bullpen this season, and the Sox could use another lefty. Then have him work on getting stretched out this winter and go back to the minors.

Probably need Brendan Rodgers to Colorado at 3 for Jay to fall.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
interesting draft, seems like anybody can go anywhere and it's not even because of signability.

That's mainly why I hope they take a bat. It's a crap shoot. Roll the dice on a guy that could be in the lineup for 10 years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
interesting draft, seems like anybody can go anywhere and it's not even because of signability.

That is one nice thing about this draft. Every mock is different, even at the top. NFL, NBA, you can pretty much tell who the top 20 guys will be in a halfway decent sequence, but here a guy who some might have going #1 might not go until #10.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)

There's just something about the fact that he's not even starting in college that makes me afraid of him. I know the Sox can change a lot about his mechanics, but I'd feel much better if I at least had SOME evidence that the stuff works for multiple innings.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Bowden is absolutely clueless

I think most of these guys are clueless. Last year we read how much Cooper loved Aiken, how much the Sox loved Kolek, yet Hahn said, and he might have been BSing, that Rodon was the one guy they wanted all along, which made a lot of sense considering how leery they seem to be about HS pitching in round 1. Hahn did mention before that draft on a broadcast that Rodon was the best pitcher in college.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
There's just something about the fact that he's not even starting in college that makes me afraid of him. I know the Sox can change a lot about his mechanics, but I'd feel much better if I at least had SOME evidence that the stuff works for multiple innings.

Well they have thrown him for 3-4 inning saves at times. He's starting today. He's the best pitcher on their staff. Hartleb is a dope though and had his best pitcher relieving instead of starting.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)

He's not a traditional reliever so I don't think that is fair. What I am worried about is developing him like he's Sale or Rodon.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Tate or Fulmer would make me happy. The only reason we select Jay over either of them is #rotationofallofthelefties

Again, you dont draft for need, you take best available. If the Sox have a rotation of all lefties down the road, so be it. I will go into battle with the Sale, Rodon, Q, and Jay as a 1-4.

Does Dillon Tate's mechanics remind anyone else of Dontrelle Willis?