2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY ONE

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
The Sox need to pick a guy that they can develop and bring up quick.

There's no time for the Sox to give a guy 2, 3, or 4 years to develop. They need major contributors NOW.

JMO - this type of "short term thinking" is a key part of how we have gotten ourselves into this mess.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
JMO - this type of "short term thinking" is a key part of how we have gotten ourselves into this mess.

That's definitely true. However, what will happen to the mess while these prospects are developing for several years? That only gives the mess more time to get even worse.

The only way to get out of this mess IMO is to try to find guys that can help right the ship as soon as possible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)

Sale and Rodon haven't been the problem. You could say something about Beckham, but it's not like all the guys drafted right after him became stars.

I'm going to take a stab at the top 8.

1- Arizona- Swanson

2- Houston- Benintendi

3- Colorado- Rodgers

4- Texas- Tate

5- Houston- Bregman

6- Twinkies- Stephenson

7- Boston- Fulmer

8- White Sox- Jay

Go ahead, cut me with your laughter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
Sale and Rodon haven't been the problem. You could say something about Beckham, but it's not like all the guys drafted right after him became stars.

At least in the 0's, we had the philosophy of taking the guy close to the big leagues because they could contribute faster or be traded faster. That ended us up with broadway & mccullough. For all we know that might have been part of the reason why we got 3-year-college player Jared Mitchell instead of that other OF named Mike who went a couple slots later. And since you brought up Beckham, that hits on the "rush them up to the big leagues as fast as humanly possible" philosophy that permeates this team's minor leagues and whether that's been as effective as it needs to be too.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
In other words, luck.

ptatc, I love ya man, but you know as well as I do that is only part of the picture. If it was 100% luck there'd be no point in having coaches in the minors. Luck is involved without a doubt - but it is not all luck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
At least in the 0's, we had the philosophy of taking the guy close to the big leagues because they could contribute faster or be traded faster. That ended us up with broadway & mccullough. For all we know that might have been part of the reason why we got 3-year-college player Jared Mitchell instead of that other OF named Mike who went a couple slots later. And since you brought up Beckham, that hits on the "rush them up to the big leagues as fast as humanly possible" philosophy that permeates this team's minor leagues and whether that's been as effective as it needs to be too.

The very first 1st round pick under KW the GM was Honel, a HS pitcher. Mitchell certainly wasn't rushed. Beckham may have been, but he pretty much conquered AAA pretty quickly. If you want to complain about guys like Broadway, that is legitimate, but also a long time ago. And using "might have been part of the reason" certainly does not make it the reason. I agree, the Sox should have taken Trout, but I don't think it's because they thought Mitchell would be here sooner. They thought he would be a better player.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)

Talking about Mitchell is about the same as saying the Yankees shouldn't draft lefty pitchers because of Brein Taylor. We have no idea what the injury did to his career, but we know losing two years of true development marked a turning point in his career.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)

Not to mention Beckham wasn't a reach at all. Sox have drafted pretty well past few years (although still extremely early to really say that but we've clearly drafted well in the 1st couple of rounds).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
Talking about Mitchell is about the same as saying the Yankees shouldn't draft lefty pitchers because of Brein Taylor. We have no idea what the injury did to his career, but we know losing two years of true development marked a turning point in his career.

But now that we have hindsight, the high schooler OF who was available turned out to be a better choice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
But now that we have hindsight, the high schooler OF who was available turned out to be a better choice.

He also had large signing bonus demands. I still would love to know just how close the Sox were to taking him.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
The Sox need to pick a guy that they can develop and bring up quick.

There's no time for the Sox to give a guy 2, 3, or 4 years to develop. They need major contributors NOW.

Of course there's time. The Sox are trying to build a sustainable winner.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
I wish they could get a hitter. Like Benintendi or Stephenson.

Remember when Tyler Flowers was considered a hitter? He was Kris Bryant in the fall league and came to the Sox and hit .300 with .400 OBP with power in AA and AAA. Then suddenly he couldn't hit. Catchers scare me. Most of them can't hit. Maybe the demands of the job, not just the beatings they take, just take it's toll. I am very leery of HS catchers. There is so much they have to achieve just running the game and the beatings, where predicting offense is very difficult.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
He also had large signing bonus demands. I still would love to know just how close the Sox were to taking him.

Trout didn't have any ridiculous demands associated with him, at least not that I was aware of.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
Trout didn't have any ridiculous demands associated with him, at least not that I was aware of.

From the linked article:

Word before the draft that Trout was seeking a $2.5-million signing bonus might have scared off some teams. But the Angels, who got quite a catch when they drafted outfielder Tim Salmon in 1989, picked Trout and signed him for $1.215 million, his slot value.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/19/sp...-trout-20110220

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
Ok? Then we'll waste Sale, Abreu, Rodon, and Quintana's prime years trying to build a winner while the Big League team sucks.

"Playing a rookie who was rushed up to the big leagues alongside them" is a pretty solid way to waste their prime years IMO.