2015 White Sox Draft Picks - Updates

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
I think it has more to do with the experience. He is probably going to play for a little while so he sees what it's like and what the other ballplayers are like. Then he will transition out of the playing side and into a front office or scouting.

I'd be shocked if he ever saw a professional pitch as a player, ever. The odds are about as close to zero as they are for me winning the powerball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
I'd be shocked if he ever saw a professional pitch as a player, ever. The odds are about as close to zero as they are for me winning the powerball.

Probably not but it's the experience in clubhouse, roadtrips etc. that they are looking at.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
I think it has more to do with the experience. He is probably going to play for a little while so he sees what it's like and what the other ballplayers are like. Then he will transition out of the playing side and into a front office or scouting.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129847344/wh...on-on-final-day

Play? Is he even going to sign? I thought this was just an empty gesture, like Reinsdorf saying "Congrats on getting into Northwestern grandson, here's a little graduation gift for 'ya." It ultimately means nothing but Reinsdorf did it because he can and it's kinda cool for the kid...I guess.

Plus, the whole thing with drafting Williams' kid led to even more jealousy with Ozzie when they wouldn't give the same type of signing bonus to one of the Guillen kids, and then didn't select the other one.

That was the most damaging aspect to the Sox, not the money they wasted on Williams' kid but the rift it helped to widen within the organization.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
Right. It's just a way for him to get to understand the entire business. Like an executives kid starting in the mailroom even though everyone knows he will be an executive soon.

There is a 0% chance the Reinsdorf kid is signed, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
There is a 0% chance the Reinsdorf kid is signed, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I've seen it done when I was with the Marlins. I think it was Dombrowski's relative. I'm not saying it's necessarily going to happen but I've seen before.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:52 PM)
I've seen it done when I was with the Marlins. I think it was Dombrowski's relative. I'm not saying it's necessarily going to happen but I've seen before.

And we did this with Ozzie's kid (eventually moved to the AV department), but at least he was a marginally capable baseball player. This situation is no different than when we drafted Schueler's daughter, although she was probably a better athlete than Reinsdorf's grandson.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 07:52 AM)
And we did this with Ozzie's kid (eventually moved to the AV department), but at least he was a marginally capable baseball player. This situation is no different than when we drafted Schueler's daughter, although she was probably a better athlete than Reinsdorf's grandson.

True. However, as I said this was one possibility as to why he was drafted.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 12m12 minutes ago

Hickman is from the ACE program. White Sox love Zangari's raw power and don't think Stephens would have been there if not for TJ in '14

It's probably been said but, do the Sox view Zangari as a hitter or pitcher?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
If I had to guess (team said 34 picks leaving out JRIII and McMillian I am sure)... Unsigned are Fulmer, Erwin, Hasler, Michael Hickman, Alston Garvin, Cody Staab. Not sure on the other 3.

Erwin is signed - have it on the Tracker.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Well there we go. Fulmer is the only guy out of the top 15 not signed.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 4m4 minutes ago

#WhiteSox fourth-rounder Zack Erwin has also signed. Of their 38 picks, Sox have signed 26, including 14 of first 15.

Excellent.