6/9 Games

BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 07:01 AM)
http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?c...mp;ymd=20150609

Charlotte- Haviland 6:05 CT

Birmingham- Buciferro 4:00 CT

Birmingham- Montas game two.

Winny- Layer 5:00 CT

Winny- Clark game two.

Kanny- Adams 6:00 CT

Adams will face the 2014 1-2 pick in Tyler Kolek.

Unless the box score is wrong it looks like Montas is pitching now.

Came back from down 3-0 in the count to Schwarber.

Threw two consecutive split finger changes at 90 MPH to get him (3-1, 3-2 counts).

96 MPH in the 7th with just 77 pitches.

DID IT. YAY! Most impressive part of that was working so economically....just 11 pitches per inning. Just 1 hour, 32 minutes.

Took down Almora, Schwarber and Vogelbach in the process....three best hitting prospects on that team, along with McKinney.

First win of the season for Montas, Jacob Turner (yes, that one) took the loss. 29-29 for the Barons now. Hawkins and Jacob May expected to be out for extended time still.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
Unless the box score is wrong it looks like Montas is pitching now.

It changed since this morning. They still show Montas as the starter for game two.

Hell of a game Montas!

Congrats to Montas on the no-hitter! I'm actually encouraged by the fact that he was able to toss the no-hitter despite only fanning 3, it suggests that he's learning how to actually pitch rather than just overpower hitters with his stuff.

On a side note, it was a match-up of potential future aces down in Kanny with Spencer Adams squaring off against Tyler Kolek. Looks like Adams was able to outduel Kolek for the first 4 innings before Kolek was yanked and Adams was subsequently dinged up for 3 runs in the fifth. Hopefully this will be the first of many tilts between the two as they rise through the minors.

Nice game by Montas, esp. against a lineup with 3 sure hall of famers, from what I read.

I notice his K rate is down considerably, but he's still effective. I wonder if they're changing him in some sort of way.

nice video of his last out on milb.com

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
He could be working on a certain pitch.

The one that the announcers were enamored with was the splitter/change that's thrown at 90 MPH.

That wiped out Schwarber, even when he was ahead in the count. (Of course, he was expecting 95-98 probably). But nice to see he's confident enough to throw it when down 3-1 in the count to a very dangerous hitter. That takes some stones.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:21 PM)
If Kevan keeps improving his craft, esp from what I read his defense, then you can bet he'll be called up. Offensively, he's done good at every stop.

Has a career line of .293/.372/.466 in 1500 minor league player appearances but hasn't been given a chance yet. He has to be awful defensively because I see no reason to keep him in the minors in favor of Flowers.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)
Has a career line of .293/.372/.466 in 1500 minor league player appearances but hasn't been given a chance yet. He has to be awful defensively because I see no reason to keep him in the minors in favor of Flowers.

I think they've been taking it slow with him since he was still relatively new to baseball when they drafted him out of Pitt, he was recruited as a QB but only concentrated on baseball full time his last season or two there. I'm sure they want him to be comfortable with managing the game and making decisions become instinctual before calling him up.