2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY TWO

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 06:27 PM)
btw, since round 1, the sox didn't even attempt to take the BPA.

Hickman was definitely a bpa pick in round 7. He was a round 3 talent. The only other names even in the conversation would be would be high schoolers who aren't likely to sign with anyone let alone a team with a small bonus pool.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
Hickman was definitely a bpa pick in round 7. He was a round 3 talent. The only other names even in the conversation would be would be high schoolers who aren't likely to sign with anyone let alone a team with a small bonus pool.

Yeah, a lot of the articles I was reading had him in rounds 3-5.

I like the Stevens pick, but not a fan of Erwin pick at all. 5th round pick a lot better than the 4th round pick. Do not see much from day 2 to excite, a few real questionable picks today.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 06:34 PM)
How about a more simple version:

If you're pissed off about who a team drafts in rounds 4+ in the MLB draft you're not understanding how the game is played in the draft in this sport.

It's ok to be pissed off about picks in the top round or maybe even top 2-3 rounds depending on whether you use the slot money. By the time you're in round 4 you're so far into the game of teams moving slot money around and players staying in school that some combination of scouting and luck becomes far more important.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
I like the Stevens pick, but not a fan of Erwin pick at all. 5th round pick a lot better than the 4th round pick. Do not see much from day 2 to excite, a few real questionable picks today.

Literally 4 posts apart. Impressive.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
It's been said, but Hickman was definitely BPA.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)

if everett was there, if hooper was there, if any of the top projected top 60 players were there when that draft was made, then he was not the BPA.

however i do like that draft ALOT. that was a good feeling draft and it was a great pick.

Good picks so far for the Sox in my opinion. I know I was on the Stephenson bus, but the Fulmer pick does make the most sense after I read articles on FanGraphs, Chicago Now (Future Sox) and of course this site! Intrigued with the selections of Stephens, Zangari (as a 1b) and Hickman (starter or bullpen?), but overall, good stuff to help keep building the farm system.

Don't know if this has been already posted, but one more blurb about Fulmer from Jim Callis of MLB.Com:

Callis: The White Sox have to be thrilled to get the best pitcher in the Draft, according to the MLB Pipeline board, and they were really hoping to get him, Tate or Jay. You wish Fulmer was a little bigger and threw more strikes, but you have to give him credit that he's brought quality stuff ever since he became a starter in the middle of last season.
Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:34 PM)
How about a more simple version:

If you're pissed off about who a team drafts in rounds 4+ in the MLB draft you're not understanding how the game is played in the draft in this sport.

It's ok to be pissed off about picks in the top round or maybe even top 2-3 rounds depending on whether you use the slot money. By the time you're in round 4 you're so far into the game of teams moving slot money around and players staying in school that some combination of scouting and luck becomes far more important.

re bold, some poster doesn't think there no luck. :lol:

but i know what you are saying, i am saying if the team used, let say for this discussion, and all things being equal, the #5 pick for a player who may be asking for a bonus money that was equal to a higher round. the sox could have easily drafted him and use the remaining for way below slot picks.

or better yet, selected players who can be of use for the system, even though it may not have been an elite player.

and i am sure there are other possible recourse that smart men in the sox FO should have been able to come up with.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
re bold, some poster doesn't think there no luck. :lol:

but i know what you are saying, i am saying if the team used, let say for this discussion, and all things being equal, the #5 pick for a player who may be asking for a bonus money that was equal to a higher round. the sox could have easily drafted him and use the remaining for way below slot picks.

or better yet, selected players who can be of use for the system, even though it may not have been an elite player.

and i am sure there are other possible recourse that smart men in the sox FO should have been able to come up with.

But they did! They used their #7 pick for a guy who might ask for a lot of bonus money, a 3rd round talent, and they took some under-slot guys probably who they'd scouted in the slots surrounding it!

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
Hmmm....Mitchell Traver is still available from TCU.....

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67565098/v856...college-pitcher

I saw him pitch in game 3 of the super regional out of the pen, is usually a starter.

Was pumping 93-95 out of the pen with a great curve. I'd love him in the 11th round.

White Sox's blurb about picks #4-6 today. Pretty good stuff.

Erwin:

"He was a premium left-handed pitcher in a major conference in a Draft that, for us, was deep in it," said White Sox assistant scouting director Nick Hostetler of Erwin. "He's pretty polished. He's going to be able to pitch, compete, move the ball in and out. "We are going to have to deal with a few little things mechanically. Stand him up and get him extended a little bit more, but he has a chance to move quickly."

Stephens:

"They did a great job at Rice of taking care of him: [throwing] three innings, two innings, building him back up," Hostetler said. "I was excited about it. I don't know if he would have been there in the fifth round if he wouldn't have had the Tommy John."

Zangari:

"I can't tell you there's anybody in this draft with more right-handed power," said Hostetler of Zangari, who also caught in high school. "This power is something special. If we can get the timing down, it's got a chance to be big."

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
if everett was there, if hooper was there, if any of the top projected top 60 players were there when that draft was made, then he was not the BPA.

however i do like that draft ALOT. that was a good feeling draft and it was a great pick.

There's "BPA" and "signable BPA"

Everett wouldn't happen at that point.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)

Damn. Nice!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 01:15 AM)
But they did! They used their #7 pick for a guy who might ask for a lot of bonus money, a 3rd round talent, and they took some under-slot guys probably who they'd scouted in the slots surrounding it!

you got a point. i agree.

i guess, i was hoping for a hitter and that may have clouded my judgement and hence my rant.

many thank

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 03:23 AM)
There's "BPA" and "signable BPA"

Everett wouldn't happen at that point.

ref BPA... i agree in the difference however the term everyone uses is bpa.

either way, i was totally wrong for my b****ing.

peace.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:40 PM)

peace.

I don't think you were necessarily wrong. It really wasn't an exciting day for us. It just had to do more with our position/pool more than anything though.

If I had to grade our picks so far, which admittedly is really tough without seeing the plan for day 3 or knowing the money:

1. Fulmer- A. Best pitcher in the draft. No complaints from seemingly anyone. Should be for slot.

4. Erwin- D. I think everyone was pretty much frustrated with this pick and for good reason. A lower ceiling lefty with our second pick isn't going to excite much of anyone. I would think slightly below slot.

5. Stephens- B+. Better than our 4th round pick. If he can get his stuff back to pre-TJ level, he should become a legitimate prospect. Great value for a 5th rounder. Signing today, so perhaps slightly lower than slot.

6. Zangari- B. His power seems like one of the better tools in the draft. You have to love that. He seems like a complete mess otherwise, but still a fine pick for here. Hope they can try him around the field and see if he sticks somewhere other than 1b. Slot pick.

7. Hickman- A. This was by all accounts the Sox guy, and they got him a lot later than he was projected to go. Great pick. You have to like his chances being a raw college arm going into a program he's familiar with and one that can develop pitchers. Slot pick.

8. Schroeder- C+. Needed a college catcher so it's a fine pick for that. Has some power. Probably won't amount to much, but that's more on the Sox. Slot pick.

9. Hinchley- D-. Total filler signing that was done to go way under slot and appease some local people. He'll sign for 10k.

10. Glines- B+. Grade highly dependent on how much he signs for. If he's a 10k range signing (presumably is) then it's a great pick. Great value for a guy who has some awesome stats and decent tools.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:40 PM)

peace.

You just can't take BPA in the baseball draft though. Especially in the top 10 rounds. If you are taking a guy in rounds 1-10, he better sign otherwise you are screwed money wise. If Everett or Hooper were going to sign, they would have been drafted in the top 10 rounds. Someone will take them toady and take a shot at signing them but they are most likely headed to school. As for the White Sox, they did a pretty good job considering what they had to deal with money wise. There just wasn't much money to go around and they drafted a few guys with upside. Fulmer was a no brainer at 8. Hickman was a huge value where he was acquired. The pitcher from Rice has promise and the 1B has a ton of power. They went way under in a few spots but they probably had to. I'm guessing Fulmer will be at slot and Hickman will be over.

Found a short but interesting read on Zangari.

"He said Tuesday the White Sox had planned to take him earlier in the draft, but they needed pitching. Chicago drafted Clemson left-hander Zack Erwin and Rice right-hander Jordan Stephens in the fourth and fifth round.

Zangari said he was promised a higher bonus than the sixth round slot, but would not reveal the amount."

http://m.newsok.com/chicago-white-sox-draf...article/5426411

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
Found a short but interesting read on Zangari.

"He said Tuesday the White Sox had planned to take him earlier in the draft, but they needed pitching. Chicago drafted Clemson left-hander Zack Erwin and Rice right-hander Jordan Stephens in the fourth and fifth round.

Zangari said he was promised a higher bonus than the sixth round slot, but would not reveal the amount."

http://m.newsok.com/chicago-white-sox-draf...article/5426411

Very interesting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
You just can't take BPA in the baseball draft though. Especially in the top 10 rounds. If you are taking a guy in rounds 1-10, he better sign otherwise you are screwed money wise. If Everett or Hooper were going to sign, they would have been drafted in the top 10 rounds. Someone will take them toady and take a shot at signing them but they are most likely headed to school. As for the White Sox, they did a pretty good job considering what they had to deal with money wise. There just wasn't much money to go around and they drafted a few guys with upside. Fulmer was a no brainer at 8. Hickman was a huge value where he was acquired. The pitcher from Rice has promise and the 1B has a ton of power. They went way under in a few spots but they probably had to. I'm guessing Fulmer will be at slot and Hickman will be over.

then remember this debate of BPA for next yr discussion. when the discussion comes around on getting or not getting the BPA.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
then remember this debate of BPA for next yr discussion. when the discussion comes around on getting or not getting the BPA.

I will. It's not really a debate though. It's the way this new system has worked. You can't just take the BPA in every round. Not in baseball.