6/10 GDT Houston Astros @ Chicago White Sox

Condor13

Vincent Velasquez vs Jose Quintana

Not sure how today's game will play out. Velasquez is making his major league debut having never pitched above AA. He is reported to have triple digit heat witch will definitely be fun to watch from a baseball fan perspective. However, as a Sox fan it will be frustrating if Velasquez can maintain control of his fastball and pitch strikes. The Sox will need to be very patient and let this kid throw some balls and get behind in the count. Quintana has pitched better as of late and will need another solid performance tonight vs a tough Houston lineup.

Our offense has looked better since RV changed the lineup and flipped Alexei and Melky in the batting order. The problem with the lineup has been 7-9 in the batting order. Flowers is horrible and only getting worse, Sanchez has been even worse then flowers. At some point they will have to start hitting or Hahn will need to make some moves of his own.

Lineups: TBA

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At various points this year the Sox have pitched pretty well. This is another of of those times. The problem, obviously, is the offense. The defense has largely stabilized and I would continue to trot out Beckham and Sanchez more often than not at 3B and 2B.

The problem with Sanchez's bat isn't necessarily even that it sucks, it's that the rest of the lineup isn't good enough to carry a guy that's all glove no hit. In theory, if Melky and Alexei pick it up a bit (and Jose goes back to elite masher and not just solid) then his line (which will improve) won't look so awful.

I'm rather optimistic right now given how well Rodon and some of the pen pieces are pitching that if the offense can just get to "mediocre" the Sox might have a decent chance at 85-86 wins and hell that might be enough for a 2nd wild card.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
At various points this year the Sox have pitched pretty well. This is another of of those times. The problem, obviously, is the offense. The defense has largely stabilized and I would continue to trot out Beckham and Sanchez more often than not at 3B and 2B.

The problem with Sanchez's bat isn't necessarily even that it sucks, it's that the rest of the lineup isn't good enough to carry a guy that's all glove no hit. In theory, if Melky and Alexei pick it up a bit (and Jose goes back to elite masher and not just solid) then his line (which will improve) won't look so awful.

I'm rather optimistic right now given how well Rodon and some of the pen pieces are pitching that if the offense can just get to "mediocre" the Sox might have a decent chance at 85-86 wins and hell that might be enough for a 2nd wild card.

If Samardzija can pull his head out of his ass and just come close to what we expected of him then we are very solid 1-4 and Danks can even throw a gem every few starts or so. It really is quite amazing that we're only 3 under .500 with the offensive output so far.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)

Sanchez's BABiP is .193 right now. Isn't that indicative that he's hitting into bad luck and that will likely turn around sooner or later? Just off the eye-test, for the most part Sanchez looks to be making solid contact only for it to go right to a defender or the defender will end up making a good play robbing him of a hit. I said for the most part because he stll strikes out and hits some weak grounders.

His defense has been very good, so hopefully his bat will come around.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
This has been an incredibly enjoyable series as someone who follows top prospects. Getting to see Rodon, McCullers, Correa, Flowers and now Velasquez tonight has been awesome. Of course, a sweep would make it even better.

Flowers???

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:00 PM)
This is the device the Sox are using to make the lineups now:

hqdefault.jpg

I like it...it's not the like the traditional lineup was performing well. If Shuck gets on 4 times, hopefully we see Bonifacio bunt 4 times.

So Ventura plays Eaton against one of the toughest lefties (off which he has a .441 OPS this season) in the game and sits him against a RH rookie? Cant make up that type of stupid.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
Beckham at short? When's the last time he played there? I don't mind the weird lineup, when the offense sucks this bad for this long shake it up and see if you can provide a jolt.

He started at SS in game 2 of the doubleheader vs Baltimore a few weeks back.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
I like it...it's not the like the traditional lineup was performing well. If Shuck gets on 4 times, hopefully we see Bonifacio bunt 4 times.

I agree with shaking things up but having 2 bench players hit 1-2 in the lineup? I can't imagine many teams do that throughout the year

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
I agree with shaking things up but having 2 bench players hit 1-2 in the lineup? I can't imagine many teams do that throughout the year

I can't imagine they do either, but the White Sox offense is unimaginably bad. The White Sox are 30th in offensive WAR (with -1.4, the only team in the negatives), 29th in wOBA, 28th in Runs, 28th in Home Runs, 28th in Stolen Bases (and 30th in Stolen Base percentage), 30th in isolated power, and 26th in BB%, and (by far our best offensive metric) 22nd in batting average. There are teams that are arguably worse at certain facets of the offensive game, but there is no other team that has been so awful at so many components put together.

Shuck has shown some promising ability lately, when Avi was out, and Boni was pretty solid at the top of the lineup for the Cubs at the beginning of last year. If they flop, they flop, but it's absolutely worth a try.

QUOTE (Chris Sale @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
I can't imagine they do either, but the White Sox offense is unimaginably bad. The White Sox are 30th in offensive WAR (with -1.4, the only team in the negatives), 29th in wOBA, 28th in Runs, 28th in Home Runs, 28th in Stolen Bases (and 30th in Stolen Base percentage), 30th in isolated power, and 26th in BB%, and (by far our best offensive metric) 22nd in batting average. There are teams that are arguably worse at certain facets of the offensive game, but there is no other team that has been so awful at so many components put together.

Shuck has shown some promising ability lately, when Avi was out, and Boni was pretty solid at the top of the lineup for the Cubs at the beginning of last year. If they flop, they flop, but it's absolutely worth a try.

OMG they've been so bad and yet here they are somehow still hovering around .500

If they just f***ing regress to some of these guys' career lines...