Womens World Cup

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
It is amazing how much more popular the men's world cup was compared to the women's

I can't pull against them because they're USA so I won't watch because of their goalie.

With the Women's team, it's "been there, done that."

We expect them to finish first, runner-up...at least in the top four.

There aren't any flamboyant personalities on the team, other than Soto. They're in a bit of a transition mode, with Wambach's star finally fading. For the casual male, they might watch Morgan or Hope Solo just for aesthetic reasons, but that won't keep them interested in a match with China on Friday night.

Back in the day, you had Mia Hamm, Lilly, Julie Foudy, Chastain, etc.

It's kind of like with Cubs' fans...we're still waiting for that breakthrough/transcendent moment where the American Pele/Beckham arrives on the scene, we win the World Cups and kids all over the country starting choosing soccer over the big 3 sports in high school.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:44 PM)
It is amazing how much more popular the men's world cup was compared to the women's

Why? It's a better product, there are more teams in the tournament, and you know a lot of the players from domestic leagues.

As for the US game last night, they looked terrible. China is better than Colombia so they're going to have to play much more assertively or they could be in trouble.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 06:29 AM)
Why? It's a better product, there are more teams in the tournament, and you know a lot of the players from domestic leagues.

As for the US game last night, they looked terrible. China is better than Colombia so they're going to have to play much more assertively or they could be in trouble.

Especially without Rapinoe...she was about the only sign of life in the first half.

That said, the Chinese team isn't nearly as fearsome as they used to be 15-20 years ago, although they are back on the upswing again.

Especially without Rapinoe...she was about the only sign of life in the first half.

That said, the Chinese team isn't nearly as fearsome as they used to be 15-20 years ago, although they are back on the upswing again.

China is the lowest-ranked of the 9 remaining teams. It's almost better to lose Rapinoe now then have her carry that yellow card into the China game and risk having to miss the Germany game.

US hasn't played sharp but Morgan seems to be getting better every game and the defense has been clamping down (after some early struggles in the cup). I know in our house the cup has been on every day. I also thought I had read an article that ratings through group stage were at all time high's.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
I have no idea why Wambach is still starting. She's basically Miroslav Klose at this point. USA would be better off playing with Leroux and Morgan up top with Wambach as a sub.

If she was Miroslav Klose, I'd say the Americans would be the favorites. ;)

Japan's second goal was some men's Champions League s***. Then the Japanese goalie had to be point shaving, no way she just gives that up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
If she was Miroslav Klose, I'd say the Americans would be the favorites. ;)

Japan's second goal was some men's Champions League s***. Then the Japanese goalie had to be point shaving, no way she just gives that up.

I bet Miroslav Klose could dominate the women's game at age 45.

And that second Japanese goal was some Brazil-Germany s***. It reminded me of that Khedira goal where Germany passed it around 3 times in the box before Khedira decided to put Julio Cesar out of his misery.

Edited by chw42

The refs may have been questionable, but no doubt the better team on the field tonight won.

Before the US got the gift PK, one of the German players should have gotten her second yellow, and Alex Morgan got hauled down in the box, so I don't feel at all bad about the US getting that break.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Before the US got the gift PK, one of the German players should have gotten her second yellow, and Alex Morgan got hauled down in the box, so I don't feel at all bad about the US getting that break.

The Alex Morgan play in the first half was a good no call. I've seen it called before, but that wasn't a PK. The US was the better team and deserved to win, but they still look terrible in the final third.