6/15 at Pittsburgh Pirates

flavum

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We might as well try Leury, Saladino, Davidson, Micah and Sanchez in different combinations from 3B to 2B until we've eliminated nearly all of them from being legitimate 2016 options.

Hopefully Micah Johnson (eventually) emerges as a legit candidate for 2B, though....that's one less position we'd need to trade for or overpay on the free agent market.

Conor's fine as a bench option, but not an everyday player because of his defensive and LHP/split limitations.

Rodon ERA up to 3.59 but it could be much worse the way that game started...at least he's settled down now. He should learn something valuable from this, rather than being pulled in the first inning and succumbing to frustration.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 11:52 PM)
We might as well try Leury, Saladino, Davidson, Micah and Sanchez in different combinations from 3B to 2B until we've eliminated nearly all of them from being legitimate 2016 options.

or just give Johnson and Davidson as many at bats as possible if the Sox sell off the veterans. Guys like Saladino and Garcia are highly unlikely to play big roles next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
or just give Johnson and Davidson as many at bats as possible if the Sox sell off the veterans. Guys like Saladino and Garcia are highly unlikely to play big roles next year.

Yeah, I agree...unless they're deliberately tanking for draft pick position.

The biggest question is what they will end up doing with Alexei Ramirez. Somehow, you have a feeling they end up making no decision while desperately hoping for him to return to form for one final hurrah in 2016.

Edited by caulfield12

At least Gordon hasn't given up.

That's two great plays defensively. The only sign of life, that and Rodon not completely imploding and fighting his way through the 1st.

More signs of the decline of Alexei Ramirez...just doesn't have the same range he did a couple of seasons ago.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/.../gordon-beckham

Hope Robin Ventura notices that Gordon Beckham is only 6 for 36 against LHP this season and has been in a terrible slump.

Make that 6 for 37.

Conor has only batted against lefties five times this year, 2 for 5.

But if they are basically the same offensively, I'd rather play Beckham for his defense.

Ramirez just appealed to first base and got himself called out.

LOL.

Quintessential White Sox this season. Wasn't called a strike originally, his own appeal got him called out. Points for honesty.

Struck out the side. Breaking news, nothing doing for the White Sox offensively through 4.

Edited by caulfield12

SERIOUS QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

At what point do you start rooting for the no hitter? I know that I personally will start rooting for it after the 6th inning (for many reasons). Which I guess is basically after the 5th inning cause our 7, 8, 9 hitter aren't gonna het a hit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
I know this is surprising from me, but I don't even blame Ventura for this mess. The players just flat out suck this season on this team. Never seen a group of veterans just all underachieve like this in the same year.

with the exception of Abreu and Avi, there is no offense. Cabrera and Eaton have proven to be huge disappointments. Lexi's regression is beyond frustrating but seriously, he can't be relied upon to carry an offense. LaRoche has shown signs of coming around but I'm no longer waiting for a miraculous turnaround. I wish MLB allowed teams to trade draft picks because we could use them.

Updated as of tonight.

27. White Sox, -59

28. Red Sox, -63

29. Brewers, -65

30. Phillies, -91

At least our attendance is perfectly lined up with our performance in terms of runs scored/runs allowed.

Almost exactly a margin of one run per game. Not easy to do in modern day baseball with all the parity.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
SERIOUS QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

At what point do you start rooting for the no hitter? I know that I personally will start rooting for it after the 6th inning (for many reasons). Which I guess is basically after the 5th inning cause our 7, 8, 9 hitter aren't gonna het a hit.

I agree, sixth inning when you realize a loss is inevitable it becomes an issue of entertainment and why not have the same pitcher no-hit us again? I feel it also brings all issues concerning our offense to the forefront again, which isn't exactly new but just a reinforcement of this team's mediocrity.

Nothing will change as a result, but its fun-bad and atleast worth a chuckle.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
I agree, sixth inning when you realize a loss is inevitable it becomes an issue of entertainment and why not have the same pitcher no-hit us again? I feel it also brings all issues concerning our offense to the forefront again, which isn't exactly new but just a reinforcement of this team's mediocrity.

Nothing will change as a result, but its fun-bad and atleast worth a chuckle.

Nolan Ryan might have it...but wonder who has the record for most no-hitters against the same team pitching for different teams?

More defensive ineptitude. No reason to let that runner get into scoring position. Just bad defense and lack of execution. Abreu just dropped the ball. Had him (Marte) dead to rights.

Harrelson still upset or has he gone into his quiet steaming phase already?

Rodon tagged for seven earned runs. ERA now for the season almost up to 4 (3.86).

And the perfect example of a RH Melky Cabrera hit....only his sixth of the season, up to .094. Seeing eye single.

Edited by caulfield12

Also figure for all this talk of unloading veterans, it's useless unless we're dealing from a position of strength or dumping salary. We should trade Quintana, but I'm not confident with what they'll receive (judging by past trades) and not entirely sure how the trade market is looking for SP.

I'd say having another Top 5 draft pick is worth more to us than anything we'd receive via trade. We've rarely been a team to sell high and reap the bebefits

I was checking from time to time on Gameday. Very frustrating to see another Sox starter not prepared for the first inning of the game. Couple that with a non-existent offense and I can certainly see where some folks are ready to jump ship. At what point are these players going to jell? You win three in a row only to lose three in a row and look to be headed to #4 in a row. You can't expect to build confidence in your team let alone make up ground playing like that

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 07:36 PM)
Also figure for all this talk of unloading veterans, it's useless unless we're dealing from a position of strength or dumping salary. We should trade Quintana, but I'm not confident with what they'll receive (judging by past trades) and not entirely sure how the trade market is looking for SP.

I'd say having another Top 5 draft pick is worth more to us than anything we'd receive via trade. We've rarely been a team to sell high and reap the bebefits

for how many years?