Music and more Music

LDF

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
I have completely soured on rap. I can't even get myself to listen to Kendrick's or Kanye's new albums now and I just don't like Drake despite his skills. Just grew out of it unfortunately.

Mostly listen to rock/alternative or singer/songwriter type stuff but everything I listen to is old. Whether it's five years old or forty years old, it's old. I can't get myself into any new music. I feel like this genre is dying. All the kids like country, EDM and like 16 year old rappers who do weird drugs or Gang bang or have one eye. Long story short, I need help being directed towards up and coming alternative or singer/songwriter type music. I hate country, I hate EDM and can't get into new rap.

I like Counting Crows, Modest Mouse, Nirvana, REM, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Arcade Fire, Elliott Smth, Avett Brothers, Wilco, Silversun Pickups, Band of Horses, Bon Iver, Paul Simon, Pixies, etc. What is something newish and still active that I would like? Please and thank you.

Catfish and the bottlemen perhaps? Thinking new alternative bands

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have completely soured on rap. I can't even get myself to listen to Kendrick's or Kanye's new albums now and I just don't like Drake despite his skills. Just grew out of it unfortunately.

Mostly listen to rock/alternative or singer/songwriter type stuff but everything I listen to is old. Whether it's five years old or forty years old, it's old. I can't get myself into any new music. I feel like this genre is dying. All the kids like country, EDM and like 16 year old rappers who do weird drugs or Gang bang or have one eye. Long story short, I need help being directed towards up and coming alternative or singer/songwriter type music. I hate country, I hate EDM and can't get into new rap.

I like Counting Crows, Modest Mouse, Nirvana, REM, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Arcade Fire, Elliott Smth, Avett Brothers, Wilco, Silversun Pickups, Band of Horses, Bon Iver, Paul Simon, Pixies, etc. What is something newish and still active that I would like? Please and thank you.

Hippo Campus is fantastic.

Other ones off the top of my head...

J Roddy Walston and the Business

Rural Alberta Advantage

The Gaslight Anthem (just went on hiatus but lead singer Brian Fallon is putting out a solo album this month) is pretty great

If you're into rootsy/americana/country (actual country, not pop) stuff, check out Logan Brill.

Not new, but definitely active is My Morning Jacket. I've seen them play shows with Band of Horses & Wilco. I listen to several of the bands you mentioned and to me they are the best music out there right now. I would not start with the most recent album, it's probably not the best introduction to them.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)

Temples, Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Tame Impala, Clutch, The Duke Spirit, Antemasque, Junip, TV on the Radio, Them Crooked Vultures

• 3 weeks later...

Went and saw The Who Monday night at the Bradley Center. Incredible show. Townshend's guitar playing is as good, if not better, than ever and Daltrey's voice was better than it has been in recent years. You could tell that it's kind of going with his old age but he hit all the notes when he had to, most notably in Love Reign O'er Me and his legendary scream in Won't Get Fooled Again.

The only complaint is that the seats at the Bradley Center suck ass. They are very narrow and the rows are so close together that your knees are hitting the back of the person in front of you's head. Makes for somewhat of an uncomfortable night for a 280 lb guy.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)

My tastes run somewhat similar to yours as far as Nirvana ( love grunge), Silversun Pickups and Modest Mouse. Not sure if you're familiar with the music site 'Bandcamp' but that's where I spend quite a bit of time finding new music and young/upcoming bands. I'm always adding to my music collection.

The Brits have an incredible music scene going on right now with bands like Pulled Apart By Horses, Black Honey, Dinosaur Pileup, Gnarwolves, The Bohicas, Royal Blood and more that I cannot think of at the moment.

The Kills have an album coming in June and they just debuted the first single from the album.

The Dead Weather makes some good stuff too.

Cage The Elephant is another band that keeps getting better with each album.

One of my favorites over the last 5-6 years is a West coast band called Painted Wives, used to be called Railroad to Alaska. To me, they are a blend of Alice In Chains and System of a Down, but darker than both. Not sure if that's your thing or not but since you dig Nirvana you might like PW.

Fuzzy Vox is an English singing garage band from France. They write some funny lyrics and the music pretty good.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)
Not new, but definitely active is My Morning Jacket. I've seen them play shows with Band of Horses & Wilco. I listen to several of the bands you mentioned and to me they are the best music out there right now. I would not start with the most recent album, it's probably not the best introduction to them.

A lot of people recommend It Still Moves or Z, but you can't really go wrong on any of their first four. My first was The Tennessee Fire- I remember throwing it on and listening to it front to back in one sitting, and probably twice more that day. It's probably my favorite, even though the songwriting and production markedly improved with each new release up to, or some would say including, Z.

Their three most recent aren't bad, but they are much more hit or miss and take some getting used to.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features...nsults-20160413

The Black Keys basically have recanted their induction speech for Steve Miller because of how much he was a dick to everyone

It was rather stupid of Miller to bash the very hall that he was being inducted into but I do agree with some of the things he said about the music industry. One thing Miller failed to point out is the DIY part of the music industry today. There's an enormous amount of bands doing their own mixing, recording and self promotions without record labels, thanks to modern technology and the internet.

In the end, Miller just came across as a bitter old man. Still love his music regardless. :)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 05:48 AM)
It was rather stupid of Miller to bash the very hall that he was being inducted into but I do agree with some of the things he said about the music industry. One thing Miller failed to point out is the DIY part of the music industry today. There's an enormous amount of bands doing their own mixing, recording and self promotions without record labels, thanks to modern technology and the internet.

In the end, Miller just came across as a bitter old man. Still love his music regardless. :)

If you're going to b**** about it, don't go. Do like the Sex Pistols did, write an open letter refusing induction.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
If you're going to b**** about it, don't go. Do like the Sex Pistols did, write an open letter refusing induction.

I agree. Miller is a hypocrite for bashing the hall he was being inducted into. Only thing I can think of is that he wanted use his induction as an opportunity to bash the industry as a whole. I think Cheap Trick handled it much better than Miller did.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Apr 16, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Did anyone else hit Record Store Day sales today? If so, what did you get?

I picked up -

The Sonics live album.

Buzzcocks douple lp.

Chvrches remixes lp

Iron Maiden picture disc.

Star Wars soundtrack picture disc.

Had to wait in line for about an hour, but ended up with just about everything I wanted.

I opened itunes for the first time to try and cancel tidal, found I had added about 6gb of music on it I had forgotten about. Put me on a binge of some choice albums:

Killer Mike - pledge allegiance to the grind (vol1)

Ladyhawk - s/t

The Ponys - turn the lights out

Edan - Beauty and the Beat

and tons of dj drama mixtapes. That was a fun era.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
I opened itunes for the first time to try and cancel tidal, found I had added about 6gb of music on it I had forgotten about. Put me on a binge of some choice albums:

Ladyhawk - s/t

I'm sure there were lots of Tidal cancellations this week.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)

Ladyhawk - s/t

The self titled LadyHawke album is very underrated. My Delirium and Paris is Burning are great songs

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
The self titled LadyHawke album is very underrated. My Delirium and Paris is Burning are great songs

Oh, no this is actually Ladyhawk, a fairly average vancouver indy rock band that had 2 songs (dugout and my old jackknife) that I really liked. Dugout is a great song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladyhawk_(band)

Edited by bmags