Music and more Music

LDF

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn, it's awesome that I can log in after so long, find a music thread, and the first band I see mentioned is my favorite...RUSH!!!

It's too bad they are basically done with touring, although I am holding out hope for another Geddy solo release....a small theater acoustical tour with Alex would rock too. :headbang

Edited by Art Vandelay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
I don't know, there were a ton of fans there with shirts from the early 00's and late 90's. They still seem to be going strong.

On a related note, the GF got me tickets for my birthday. We went last night, sat int he "front row" of the 500 level. Of course because it's Wrigley, there was a beam in front of one of our seats, which was NOT labeled on the StubHub ticket. It ending up not being a big deal at all, we stood the whole time so it didn't get in the way ever a little bit.

HOWEVER, the GF was bored this morning and decided to call StubHub, just to see if she could get anything of them. They gave her back 75% of her purchase because the tickets didn't say their was an obstruction.

With the credit to her account, we just paid 28 bucks to sit in better seats tomorrow (tickets are cheaper because it's the 2nd show and it's a Monday).

So all in all....a huge win.

Wait....so you're seeing the exact same show, twice within a 3 day span, at the same venue?? :huh:

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 02:49 AM)
Wait....so you're seeing the exact same show, twice within a 3 day span, at the same venue?? :huh:

Why does that bother you? You're not going.

Pearl Jam still has a huge following. My cousin has been in their Ten club forever.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 07:14 AM)
Why does that bother you? You're not going.

Pearl Jam still has a huge following. My cousin has been in their Ten club forever.

I just didn't realize they still had such a big following, now all of a sudden their Wrigley shows are hyped like the original Woodstock.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
I just didn't realize they still had such a big following, now all of a sudden their Wrigley shows are hyped like the original Woodstock.

Pretty much every Wrigley show is huge, Pearl Jam gets that extra boost of Vedder being a Cubs fan

I thought it was pretty cool that he acknowledged the final show of the Tragically Hip and mentioned Gord.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
I don't know, there were a ton of fans there with shirts from the early 00's and late 90's. They still seem to be going strong.

On a related note, the GF got me tickets for my birthday. We went last night, sat int he "front row" of the 500 level. Of course because it's Wrigley, there was a beam in front of one of our seats, which was NOT labeled on the StubHub ticket. It ending up not being a big deal at all, we stood the whole time so it didn't get in the way ever a little bit.

HOWEVER, the GF was bored this morning and decided to call StubHub, just to see if she could get anything of them. They gave her back 75% of her purchase because the tickets didn't say their was an obstruction.

With the credit to her account, we just paid 28 bucks to sit in better seats tomorrow (tickets are cheaper because it's the 2nd show and it's a Monday).

So all in all....a huge win.

Dick!

And Joe, Pearl Jam has been around for 25+ years...they could play for days without repeating the same song.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Haha, sometimes you got to work the system. StubHub will survive I'm sure. :)

I don't think StubHub will lose anything. The person who sold the tickets will. Whenever I sell anything on there, they always put a big warning, that you must list all obstructions or any similar issues with the tickets. If you don't, you can be charged the full cost of the ticket.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
About 8:20-11:15. Here is the set list:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/20...l-5bfccf3c.html

Holy s***, that is a long show. I feel like some concerts are turning into Grateful Dead like shows. Bands should rock for about an hour and half and leave you wanting more.

I've seen punk bands play 20 minute sets and they were probably the best shows I ever saw.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Holy s***, that is a long show. I feel like some concerts are turning into Grateful Dead like shows. Bands should rock for about an hour and half and leave you wanting more.

I've seen punk bands play 20 minute sets and they were probably the best shows I ever saw.

I am generally in favor of shorter shows, but one of my favorite shows was wilco playing a 4 hour show in columbia missouri outdoors on 8th avenue. No one had any desire to leave and they just kept coming back out to play, it was awesome. That was probably 2005 so they went through a lot of fun stuff.

Not saying that sometimes a longer show can't be good, probably when it's spontaneous it works better.

Most really long shows feel forced, maybe because of ticket prices or something like that. I saw Bruce Springsteen play once, it was probably at Wrigley and he played for like 4 hours. Now it was a good show, but by the end I was done with it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Not saying that sometimes a longer show can't be good, probably when it's spontaneous it works better.

Most really long shows feel forced, maybe because of ticket prices or something like that. I saw Bruce Springsteen play once, it was probably at Wrigley and he played for like 4 hours. Now it was a good show, but by the end I was done with it.

I mostly just despise encore's. It's nice when British bands come to visit and upfront are like "we don't do encores, we play our show". Younger bands seem to be following that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)
I mostly just despise encore's. It's nice when British bands come to visit and upfront are like "we don't do encores, we play our show". Younger bands seem to be following that.

Pearl Jam plays for about three hours and they usually have three encores. They are more like intermissions.

Their covers and deep tracks of their own material gets frustrating from time to time but i keep going back.

I think the lack of new artists that play harder music is causing a ground swell of younger people to get into them.

Whole neighborhood was rocking Saturday. I may head up there again tonight just to see if I can score something on the cheap. The sound outside the place is as good as inside.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)

f*** the British, encores are a blast if done right

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
They are bad when they are an obligation, which they often are. I've seen very few legitimate encores in my life.

Have you ever participated in yelling ENCORE...ENCORE....ENCORE...and have them come out after your repeated requests?

Didnt think so, you havent f***ing lived, bmags.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Have you ever participated in yelling ENCORE...ENCORE....ENCORE...and have them come out after your repeated requests?

Didnt think so, you havent f***ing lived, bmags.

hell yes I did. Did it at my first concert which was Bonnie Raitt

I have no problem with a long show from Pearl Jam. People pay a lot of money for those shows, it's a big event.

But when you're just at a club in february for some small band and they leave their guitars out and lights low and make you wait 10 more minute sbefore playing some bsides it's just like, No. Japandroids has a nice profanity-laced tirade against encores, but, they are canadian, so may not count.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
hell yes I did. Did it at my first concert which was Bonnie Raitt

Somewhere in between you let the American dream die and replaced it with British things. I bet you talk with an accent like this.

Oh wait, my British accent doesn't translate through the keys. Dammit.