Music and more Music

LDF

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was going through some old albums last night. I am a lame but Pete Yorn's musicforthemorningafter album was just about as good as it gets for an Indie Pop album. There are like 12 GREAT songs on that album. Unbelievable how good from top to bottom.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
This new Chicago Open Air Rock Festival at Toyota Park sounds awesome. I'm getting married that weekend though. Damn.

Congrats on getting married, bummer that the festival is on the same weekend. There's some killer bands in the festival lineup that the lady and I both dig. Might have to get some tix!

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Yeah, don't agree with Rock. His previous 2 albums were pretty slim. This album has a lot more filler but definitely seems transitional. Dude is 38, this is better than most outputs from 38 year olds. Still pretty intriguing ideas here. If he was a rock artist, we'd just be getting a bunch of nashville/folk inspired records.

Did you just call Dark Twisted Fantasy "slim"? It's one of the best rap albums of all time and I would say it's arguably his best with only College Dropout in the mix.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 08:44 PM)
Did you just call Dark Twisted Fantasy "slim"? It's one of the best rap albums of all time and I would say it's arguably his best with only College Dropout in the mix.

You need to chill, sit back, and think about how people use the word slim in the context of criticism of an album having a bunch of filler, and how I would probably not be the first person to start saying "that album as slim" as slang for sucks.

That said, DTF did have more songs on it than I remembered, but it seemed post late registration his albums stayed consistently around 10 songs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 07:41 AM)
You need to chill, sit back, and think about how people use the word slim in the context of criticism of an album having a bunch of filler, and how I would probably not be the first person to start saying "that album as slim" as slang for sucks.

That said, DTF did have more songs on it than I remembered, but it seemed post late registration his albums stayed consistently around 10 songs.

You're wrong.

I ma behind the times but I am curious. I seen Kanye's performance on SNL and that was some of the dumbest s*** I have ever seen. I realize that hip hop doesnt always translate live but good god that was terrible. It was like a spoof and they were all high. There was no melody to the song that I could even make out.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
I ma behind the times but I am curious. I seen Kanye's performance on SNL and that was some of the dumbest s*** I have ever seen. I realize that hip hop doesnt always translate live but good god that was terrible. It was like a spoof and they were all high. There was no melody to the song that I could even make out.

Yeah it wasn't good, but SNL often has really short amoutn of time and resources to pull together, vs what you would see at a Kanye concert. It's a show man, visuals, skits, and the energy is crazy.

The songs that were played on SNL sound much better on the album. Some are rap live shows are bad shows of someone just screaming over their own track, but kind of depends who it is.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
I just realized I haven't listened to the band Brand New in a long time, and tomorrow that is going to change

That is something I have to listen to. I have been trying to remember the stuff I used to love considering all my cd's are in my parents attic I forgot what I liked before.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
I just realized I haven't listened to the band Brand New in a long time, and tomorrow that is going to change

Kyyle, tell me you didn't completely miss last year when the taking back sunday / brand new feud heated back up! :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Kyyle, tell me you didn't completely miss last year when the taking back sunday / brand new feud heated back up! :)

I must have. What side were you on? lol

I just blew through Deja Entendu and Your+Favorite+Weapon and now I am in the middle of The Devil and God are Raging Inside of me. Each album is so different, and so awesome in their differences. "Sic Transit....Glory fades" still gets me pumped up

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
I must have. What side were you on? lol

I just blew through Deja Entendu and Your+Favorite+Weapon and now I am in the middle of The Devil and God are Raging Inside of me. Each album is so different, and so awesome in their differences. "Sic Transit....Glory fades" still gets me pumped up

I was always on Brand New's side, but last year was sad, it was clearly a marketing stunt to generate interest in their new albums.

Brian Wilson playing Pet Sounds at Pitchfork is amazing news. I'm getting married a week before and we're both big fans--Pet Sounds is featured heavily in our wedding music. We were already planning on doing a mini-moon during that week (doing a full honeymoon to either Quebec or the Pacific Northwest in 2017). She also likes Sufjan Stevens a lot. I've got a few months to do some prep, so looking forward to it. I've only been once before--to see Belle & Sebastian in 2013, and enjoyed that a lot.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)

Ok, let's take a big step back here. It's not anywhere on any list of best of all time. Not even Kanye's best album.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05