Music and more Music

LDF

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 12, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
The Replacements up in Minneapolis in 2014 was by far the best reunion show I've ever seen.

I know that band reunions can be bad and often times disappoint, but it's hard not to get excited when you first hear about them.

I'm still pissed I didn't make it to that show.

And Lucero opened! Hold Steady too I think.

You reading Trouble Boys? It's great.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:44 PM)
I'm still pissed I didn't make it to that show.

And Lucero opened! Hold Steady too I think.

You reading Trouble Boys? It's great.

Yeah, Hold Steady and Lucero opened. Hold Steady might have actually been the best band that night.

My brother is reading Trouble Boys, so when he's done I'm going to read it. That band just seemed to be off the rails at all times.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 12, 2016 -> 09:24 PM)
90's reunions, my wife went to see Babes in Toyland a while back. I never got into that scene.

I saw Radiohead open for R.E.M. pre-OK Computer.

So I saw the comments about the new album and I gave the songs a few previews on iTunes and thought "what the hell is this?" Which led me to reading some reviews on pitchfork and the Atlantic...which led me down this rabbithole for like 3 hours of reading about Radiohead. That resulted in me repurchasing OK Computer and Kid A (which I have on CD somewhere but was too lazy to go look for).

I still have not yet purchased Moon Shaped Pool, but I likely will. I knew OK Computer and Kid A were highly acclaimed but did not know that one or the other is often considered amongst the top albums of all time.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:24 PM)
90's reunions, my wife went to see Babes in Toyland a while back. I never got into that scene.

I saw Radiohead open for R.E.M. pre-OK Computer.

That's sick, what album was REM touring?

My first concert was Prince, but the first concert I ever asked to see was Radiohead in 2006. I was 14 at the time. My mom and my older sister are fans, so I guess my fandom comes from them. I remember that summer, my older sister was in Hawaii and my litter sister was at dance camp, so it was just me and my mom for the first month of summer. We've been listening to a lot of Radiohead that summer together (Bloc Party too) and I heard that they were coming to Chicago while listening to the radio. We got tickets and went to the show later that month. We got to the very front row and I remember having my mind blown the f*** away. When I saw them play Lucky, I almost cried. That show was right around the time when I started to really go hard in pursuing music and it was a night that I'll never forget.

Me and my mom, also saw them at Lollapalooza in 2008. We got there a little after noon and we camped out the whole day at the main stage and saw Yeasayer, Gogol Bordello, Bloc Party and Radiohead. My two favorite bands. I think Radiohead played almost a three hour set and all of In Rainbows. We were right against the gate and I took a bunch of pictures.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 13, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
That's sick, what album was REM touring?

My first concert was Prince, but the first concert I ever asked to see was Radiohead in 2006. I was 14 at the time. My mom and my older sister are fans, so I guess my fandom comes from them. I remember that summer, my older sister was in Hawaii and my litter sister was at dance camp, so it was just me and my mom for the first month of summer. We've been listening to a lot of Radiohead that summer together (Bloc Party too) and I heard that they were coming to Chicago while listening to the radio. We got tickets and went to the show later that month. We got to the very front row and I remember having my mind blown the f*** away. When I saw them play Lucky, I almost cried. That show was right around the time when I started to really go hard in pursuing music and it was a night that I'll never forget.

Me and my mom, also saw them at Lollapalooza in 2008. We got there a little after noon and we camped out the whole day at the main stage and saw Yeasayer, Gogol Bordello, Bloc Party and Radiohead. My two favorite bands. I think Radiohead played almost a three hour set and all of In Rainbows. We were right against the gate and I took a bunch of pictures.

It was '95, so I guess Monster. If I remember correctly Michael Stipe was recovering from some operation. Although that could have been the second time I saw R.E.M., that time with Wilco opening.

A group of us drove from Carbondale, IL to somewhere in Maryland or D.C. to see Radiohead only to have it flooded out. I guess that was in 2000. I got to see them again a few years later at Bonnaroo, maybe 2006.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 19, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
I've never been to Riot Fest before, but this is probably the year I will go. I hope The Specials are playing the same day as The Misfits.

Beware that riotfest has a knack for playing all the bands you want to see at the same time so that you can't see them.

I generally stay away from any type of music festivals. That is usually one of the reasons why. That and sitting around for hours waiting for a good band to come on.

Also too many people.

Edited by GoSox05

Yeah I don't like festivals much either. The sound at riotfest was terrible too. I doubt that I will go mainly due to family stuff, but the only band that had sound set up correctly was replacements.

How many folks here have a regular place they go to hear live music? No cover, just a regular restaurant, bar kind of place. Not "shows" or "events" just a singer, small band, type of place.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
btw bmags, i hadnt heard "Mene" or "I am Nightmare" from Brand News upcoming album yet. I f***ing love "Mene". "I am Nightmare" is good, but not as good as the other

I got kind of grossed out last year when it seemed like TBS and Brand New "feuded" as a tool for media hype so I ignored that they were in an album. I'll check it out.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 19, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
How many folks here have a regular place they go to hear live music? No cover, just a regular restaurant, bar kind of place. Not "shows" or "events" just a singer, small band, type of place.

Before Brendan Sodikoff ruined it, I used to go to california clipper that has a regular band. Occasionally go to empty bottle on fridays when they have the hoyle brothers playing every week.

Not many places in Chicago just have music like that. Almost all are venues. Carols also comes to mind but that's just kind of a fun dive.

I really like Portugal. the man but I have to be honest, the lyrics they sing are about as atheist as it gets and I consider myself a christian. Not a crazy conservative bible thumping Christian, just something that I believe in. I feel kind of bad liking them. There is plenty songs that I have loved over the years with crazy lyrics but its something about their lyrics that feel pretty bad.

Do you guys ever run into liking music that doesnt quite line up with your beliefs?

QUOTE (shipps @ May 19, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
I really like Portugal. the man but I have to be honest, the lyrics they sing are about as atheist as it gets and I consider myself a christian. Not a crazy conservative bible thumping Christian, just something that I believe in. I feel kind of bad liking them. There is plenty songs that I have loved over the years with crazy lyrics but its something about their lyrics that feel pretty bad.

Do you guys ever run into liking music that doesnt quite line up with your beliefs?

Marilyn Manson in college fit that bill

Sort of the opposite for me, I'm more or less atheist without really caring one way or the other but I can enjoy music with religious undertones, e.g. some Iron & Wine stuff or Sufjan Stevens.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 19, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
Before Brendan Sodikoff ruined it, I used to go to california clipper that has a regular band. Occasionally go to empty bottle on fridays when they have the hoyle brothers playing every week.

Not many places in Chicago just have music like that. Almost all are venues. Carols also comes to mind but that's just kind of a fun dive.

I was blessed living so close to South Padre Island where every other bar has live music. Now that I am in San Antonio it takes more work to find these places.

I mean, the misfits have some truly horrible lyrics. I listen to incredibly misogynistic rap and older tunes.

You can take it literally as endorsement, but I don't find it that different than watching a violent movie or tv show.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
Marilyn Manson in college fit that bill

Tool is another band that I feel sort of guilty too. But they rock so hard.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 19, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
I mean, the misfits have some truly horrible lyrics. I listen to incredibly misogynistic rap and older tunes.

You can take it literally as endorsement, but I don't find it that different than watching a violent movie or tv show.

See that I dont really feel bad about, its the groups that are very specifically almost targeting my beliefs and mocking them that make me feel guilty about liking. Not every song that contradicts what christianity frowns upon.