It's time for a fire sale.

ron883

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
I think everything I said in that sentence was true. While what you also say is true, I would like to stress again that "a sandwich pick and the money to go with" is really a crappy value to get back for a player and would just be another sad comment on this season.

Sox should be able to get a top prospect, plus maybe a competitive balance pick (depending on who they are trading with) and then some secondary prospects. If they don't, then the comp and free payroll along with the production this year is fine. I don't think anyone though Pheg's would do what he did so I can't really harp on the Sox for losing him and Semien is what he is. I like Semien but he isn't a starting SS and we have other 2B options. I don't want to go the route of the comp pick because I'd rather get a near mlb ready position talent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
I think everything I said in that sentence was true. While what you also say is true, I would like to stress again that "a sandwich pick and the money to go with" is really a crappy value to get back for a player and would just be another sad comment on this season.

It's not a crappy value. It allows you a ton of draft flexibility in a supposed good draft. They need something good in return for Samardzija to deal him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
It's not a crappy value. It allows you a ton of draft flexibility in a supposed good draft. They need something good in return for Samardzija to deal him.

This. I think we can all agree that besides passing on Bryant and Rodon, the Astros have done a pretty incredible job drafting in recent years. If the Sox get the top 5-10 pick they are seemingly heading towards next draft, that is a ton of pool money to play with to really invest on strengthening the system between their first 3 picks. If Samardzija is going to get dealt, it needs to be for something more valuable than that and that is pretty valuable. Point is, they have options when it comes to trading Samardzija and they dont need to take a lesser value for him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)

IN the 2011 draft there are 3 players out of 26 picks in the comp round who have made the big leagues.

In the 2010 draft, there are 9 players out of 19 picks that have made the big leagues. They have put up a cumulative bWAR of -0.3. The most put up by any player in that round 5 years later is 2.3 by Aaron Sanchez.

If you go back farther you start finding some guys who have actually made it, including Garrett Richards and Rex Brothers. However, "a 50% chance of being in the big leagues 5 years out and about a 10% chance of being a solid major leaguer" is an accurate summation of the value of a player in the comp round.

It's cute, but compared to almost anyone who has had success at AA or AAA I would vastly prefer the player.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)

They'll draft another pitcher. Rinse and repeat.

A fire sale is a greater risk. This organization can't develop players.

QUOTE (goldensox @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
Why not trade Sale and Abreu? Sox could get a lot in return for those two guys. At this point I honestly believe Sale is wasting away in our organization. I'm ready for a rebuild. This team has been s*** for far too long.

Baseball is full of hall of famers who wasted away on losing teams. Where did this logic ever come from? Just look at the HOF guys on the northside. You don't trade a guy unless you have the sure thing coming up. To rebuild you should have pillars in place.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Baseball is full of hall of famers who wasted away on losing teams. Where did this logic ever come from? Just look at the HOF guys on the northside. You don't trade a guy unless you have the sure thing coming up. To rebuild you should have pillars in place.

My main point being is you could get a lot of good young talent in return for those guys. I mean I never thought I'd say it but I think it's the smart thing to do. Also, I'd rather a team do what it takes to get into to contention to win championships not develop hall of famers on a losing club.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)

This is your defense for keeping them?

Anyway, the reason why you don't trade Abreu is that everyone would look at him as the .840 OPS hitter he is this year rather than the dominant hitter he was last year in terms of trade value, and the White Sox are in a position where they can afford to wait to see if he finds that dominant streak from last year. What does it cost them to wait on him, more losses? We're gonna get that anyway.

QUOTE (goldensox @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
Why not trade Sale and Abreu? Sox could get a lot in return for those two guys. At this point I honestly believe Sale is wasting away in our organization. I'm ready for a rebuild. This team has been s*** for far too long.

If they trade Sale, I'd expect a Herschel Walker-type return. However, I could see them offering Quintana up. They have Beck, Johnson, Fulmer, etc. waiting in the wings to take over.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
There's a team that just left town, that could potentially match up pretty well with the Sox.

Glasnow, McGuire, Meadows, Bell, Hanson are pretty good Pirates prospects, and they have a real shot at the World Series this season.

Unfortunately, with the way they're pitching right now, they don't exactly have the look of "team that really needs to add a starting pitcher".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
Unfortunately, with the way they're pitching right now, they don't exactly have the look of "team that really needs to add a starting pitcher".

We'll see in a month. I'm not advocating "trade Sale now", but I certainly wouldn't be against it if they found a good trade that could bring back close-to-major league ready talent.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
We'll see in a month. I'm not advocating "trade Sale now", but I certainly wouldn't be against it if they found a good trade that could bring back close-to-major league ready talent.

I'm in that area also, I just struggle to find a matchup. There are teams that could do it but they're not moving the people it would take to do it. The unfortunate end result is that the Sox will hold him and continue losing and then hope nothing goes wrong where we're caught with him and wish we'd made a move for less.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
There's a team that just left town, that could potentially match up pretty well with the Sox.

Glasnow, McGuire, Meadows, Bell, Hanson are pretty good Pirates prospects, and they have a real shot at the World Series this season.

You definitely dont move Sale unless already successful young major league talent is coming back. Trading him for all prospects could blow up big time.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
You definitely dont move Sale unless already successful young major league talent is coming back. Trading him for all prospects could blow up big time.

Not could but will blow up. The farm system is the real problem.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
This is your defense for keeping them?

Anyway, the reason why you don't trade Abreu is that everyone would look at him as the .840 OPS hitter he is this year rather than the dominant hitter he was last year in terms of trade value, and the White Sox are in a position where they can afford to wait to see if he finds that dominant streak from last year. What does it cost them to wait on him, more losses? We're gonna get that anyway.

Noooooo. You need guys to build around. I'm thinking of Sale and Abreu. They are pillars.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
Not could but will blow up. The farm system is the real problem.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:53 PM)
Noooooo. You need guys to build around. I'm thinking of Sale and Abreu. They are pillars.

The problem with these 2 posts back to back is...if we're relying on the farm system to restock this team, and the farm system is as weak as the first post indicates...then we're stuck with a multi-year problem where Sale and Abreu are going to be surrounded with jack squat.

Which is pretty much where I think we're going to spend the rest of the decade, FWIW.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
The problem with these 2 posts back to back is...if we're relying on the farm system to restock this team, and the farm system is as weak as the first post indicates...then we're stuck with a multi-year problem where Sale and Abreu are going to be surrounded with jack squat.

Which is pretty much where I think we're going to spend the rest of the decade, FWIW.

The fault lies in scouting and drafting. These will be the same people evaluating the trade value for Sale. You are digging from the same whole and it gets deeper.

When was the last time a trade of this type was done in this organization and it worked?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:21 PM)
The fault lies in scouting and drafting. These will be the same people evaluating the trade value for Sale. You are digging from the same whole and it gets deeper.

When was the last time a trade of this type was done in this organization and it worked?

the fault lie higher up. until this org, stop treating FO personnel like a family, they need to be held accountability for the black hole what should be the farm system.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)

They could use a first baseman and I think the Sox have a 28 year old there who's pretty good and could bring a huge return.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
“Fire sale” or call it what you will, there are some moves that seem compelling. I’m still hopeful for next year, so I don’t want to see them trade away the young core of Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Abreu and Garcia.

Here are the guys that should be moved, and why:

Samardjiza - It’s obvious that he belongs on a contender, in his contract year. He holds little value to the Sox. A contending team that needs a RH starter, who can go deep into games, and get outs, should be willing to give up something of value. I favor one top prospect, who has a good probability of being able to fill one of the several holes, for next season. I don’t want a package of 3 or 4 big question marks.

La Roche - Of course, they aren’t going to get much back, but that’s not the objective, which should be to clear roster space for the real clean up hitter, whom they must acquire for next season. You all know how I feel on this topic. If the Sox go into next season with Adam as the clean up hitter, I doubt that the offense will be very effective. With him gone, they could go after a free agent, probably another first baseman or DH. He was the wrong choice, and he won’t be the right choice for next season either.

Alexei - The Sox are almost certainly not going to exercise the option on him, so this is really his last season. He’ll likely hit better than he has so far, and hopefully some team needing a SS will give up something for him. Once gone, the Sox might pick the best, in organization, candidate and give him some valuable playing time. L. Garcia is still very young, and has had a decent season at AAA. Maybe he could temporarily fill the hole. Just how good is his defense at SS?

Maybe Saladino will get going. Whoever it is, he better have a solid glove and arm. I wish they would instruct Rondon to abandon switch hitting and see how he could handle RH pitching, from the right side of the plate. His defense is purportedly so good, that it wouldn’t take much offense to earn a spot.

I agree that Anderson is a long way from the Big Leagues. He can’t play defense and he doesn’t draw walks.

One of their relievers may have to be included to make a deal, but it doesn’t make much sense to just dump guys who have shown that they can perform out of the pen. I like Putnam, Petricka and of course, Robertson could be a huge plus, if this team can contend next year. Trading Duke just leaves a void with no other lefties in the pen.

I’m not worried about Melky. I think he’ll earn his contract and be good enough to fill the hole in LF. Gillaspie will probably hit better as well, and platooning him with a right handed hitting, sure handed third baseman, who can take over, in the late innings could be manageable.

The bottom line is that ownership is going to have to spend some big money, in the off season to get this team back in contention. I think that they would be better off acquiring a couple of impact bats, than trying to load up on prospects. By the time those prospects might be ready to contribute, Sale and Abreu could be past their primes.

I know that the farm system is badly in need of some talent, but I don't see this organization waiting another 3 or 4 years for a bunch of prospects to develop.

Excellent post.

The only way for the Sox to become successful is to spend big money on top free agents. They have a poor minor league system with very little talent and poor player development. They have very little on the major league roster to trade for major league ready talent and too many holes to fill through trades. If they are not willing to make a very big splash on free agents it will take a very long time to turn this team around, and probably never with the people in charge of evaluating and developing talent.

Bring in top tier talent through free agency and hire a good manager and coaches to manage them.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
Excellent post.

The only way for the Sox to become successful is to spend big money on top free agents. They have a poor minor league system with very little talent and poor player development. They have very little on the major league roster to trade for major league ready talent and too many holes to fill through trades. If they are not willing to make a very big splash on free agents it will take a very long time to turn this team around, and probably never with the people in charge of evaluating and developing talent.

Bring in top tier talent through free agency and hire a good manager and coaches to manage them.

Then you lose your draft picks and farm system gets worse. Plus, they will overpay for whomever they get. Start with the farm. They'll be getting top draft choices for the next few years. Get some Cubans. Get some guys who can run and play defense. Get lucky.