Well, it's that time of year again....2015 edition

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Houston is AL. I have to remind myself about that a lot.

We swept Houston, but you are right I was barely paying attention to the weekend we lost to orioles and then pittsburgh, and extrapolated the pittsburgh series.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/sort/wi...c/group/overall

Question--is there a team right now that's 4 below .500 or worse that will ever reach .500 again, or are they just not good enough?

Just for my own curiosity, I looked at the standings last year. When the 11 worst teams played a total of 770 games, it was through 6/17/14.

Out of the bottom 11 teams through the same point, no team ever got over .500. Only one team made it to .500 and it was the worst team- Tampa Bay started 28-43, and went 33-18 the next 51 games to reach .500. And then immediately dropped some games and stayed under .500 the rest of the season.

The Sox were 33-37, and managed to get to 54-56.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
Just for my own curiosity, I looked at the standings last year. When the 11 worst teams played a total of 770 games, it was through 6/17/14.

Out of the bottom 11 teams through the same point, no team ever got over .500. Only one team made it to .500 and it was the worst team- Tampa Bay started 28-43, and went 33-18 the next 51 games to reach .500. And then immediately dropped some games and stayed under .500 the rest of the season.

The Sox were 33-37, and managed to get to 54-56.

I think even the most optimistic of us realizes the odds are stacking against the White Sox. But regression to the mean tells us the team should, at some point, start performing better. The offense cannot be this bad. Every year is different. I still hope the Sox get on a roll, and think they will at some point. I don't know if it will be enough, but stranger things have happened. They were 55-27 in 2006 after going 11-1 in the playoffs and never not being in first place the season before. They didn't make the playoffs. Some teams that are playing well now, won't continue to play well. Some that have been not so good, will get better.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
I can't say I see teams actively trying to lose? If they trade Samardzija does that make active losers?

If they had a salary level like Miami and played AAA guys all of the time, that's actively trying to lose.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
I think even the most optimistic of us realizes the odds are stacking against the White Sox. But regression to the mean tells us the team should, at some point, start performing better. The offense cannot be this bad. Every year is different. I still hope the Sox get on a roll, and think they will at some point. I don't know if it will be enough, but stranger things have happened. They were 55-27 in 2006 after going 11-1 in the playoffs and never not being in first place the season before. They didn't make the playoffs. Some teams that are playing well now, won't continue to play well. Some that have been not so good, will get better.

They really have a month left to get hot. If they don't get hot right now, then some players will get traded, and they'll simply not have enough talent the last couple months.

I'm all for them going 18-10 the next 28, but the bats are just dead. We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)

you make a point, a very good point. but as you said, many teams will have to correct themselves. however, i am in a dilemma, if the sox takes the chance now in trading, the rtn may be extra, instead of waiting for over the ASG. however, the sox may pull this out, and do well.... but do they take that chance??

it is sooo confusing to what they should do.

This may not be the right place for this, but as frustrated as I am with the Sox play this year there are other teams around that had high expectations going into this year that are playing really horrible. I just looked at the standings and am really surprised at the teams that spent a ton of money and how poorly they are doing. Out here in the PNW Seattle fans are really pissed, the Red Sox still had crappy pitching even with all the money they spent. In the NL look at the Marlins, Padres and the Arizona...and oh yeah, I'm sure the Cleveland fans are happy.

Just saying here that a lot of teams that spent big this past winter had high expectations and are playing horrible baseball so it's not only us Sox fans that are disappointed with their teams play. I'm so happy to have found this board and able to read so many great comments...most are really great to read and some others have me laughing like crazy, but that's the point. So many diehard fans with different opinions make an interesting morning read. Thanks to all the people who put in so much work to make this board go.

QUOTE (midway @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
This may not be the right place for this, but as frustrated as I am with the Sox play this year there are other teams around that had high expectations going into this year that are playing really horrible. I just looked at the standings and am really surprised at the teams that spent a ton of money and how poorly they are doing. Out here in the PNW Seattle fans are really pissed, the Red Sox still had crappy pitching even with all the money they spent. In the NL look at the Marlins, Padres and the Arizona...and oh yeah, I'm sure the Cleveland fans are happy.

Just saying here that a lot of teams that spent big this past winter had high expectations and are playing horrible baseball so it's not only us Sox fans that are disappointed with their teams play. I'm so happy to have found this board and able to read so many great comments...most are really great to read and some others have me laughing like crazy, but that's the point. So many diehard fans with different opinions make an interesting morning read. Thanks to all the people who put in so much work to make this board go.

as a diehard sox fan, i am not necessarily frustrated, as i am more angry with how the sox and GM kind not finished the job and in a way tried to downplay it, i guess it is more of an insult to my intelligence.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
I hate this thread so much every year. It's June 22 and there are 94 games left in the season. Do we really need a thread in which supposed White Sox fans are openly rooting for their team to lose? You point out that they are just 6.5 games back from getting the #1 pick. Well you know what? They are also just 6.5 games back in the wild card race. I would much rather root for that instead. If it were the end of August or beginning of September it would be one thing. One nice two week stretch of baseball gets them right back in the thick of things and I haven't given up hope yet.

Reminder ... the White Sox are doormats of their own division. They STILL can't win division games. Maybe this upcoming sweep at the hands of Minnie will finally convince everybody the Sox are finished in 2015. This team blows, folks. Even on a day Melky gets five hits we win by one run. Even with a staff with FANTASTIC starting pitchers Sale, Q and Rodon and a serviceable 4 in Danks plus a fantastic closer we are 10ish below .500. This team blows.

That said, I hate the draft and want all the wins the Sox can muster with this wretched team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)
Reminder ... the White Sox are doormats of their own division. They STILL can't win division games. Maybe this upcoming sweep at the hands of Minnie will finally convince everybody the Sox are finished in 2015. This team blows, folks. Even on a day Melky gets five hits we win by one run. Even with a staff with FANTASTIC starting pitchers Sale, Q and Rodon and a serviceable 4 in Danks plus a fantastic closer we are 10ish below .500. This team blows.

That said, I hate the draft and want all the wins the Sox can muster with this wretched team.

i will acknowledge your opinion, but i am looking at the little improvement like hope. like taking baby steps.

for me, and maybe i am out of my mind, i still have a little hope. i really can't figure when to call it a wasted season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
They really have a month left to get hot. If they don't get hot right now, then some players will get traded, and they'll simply not have enough talent the last couple months.

I'm all for them going 18-10 the next 28, but the bats are just dead. We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

They really have about two weeks, IMO. The way the SP market is unfolding, the Sox need to strike first with Samardzija.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
On June 9 2010, the Sox were 25-33, 8 games under .500 same as now. They then went on a 25-5 run to get to 50-38. I know people will say that this team doesn't have that in them, but they would have said the same thing about the 2010 team. I'm not saying I'm expecting it but I'm not going to start looking forward to draft position.

Bingo.

QUOTE (midway @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
This may not be the right place for this, but as frustrated as I am with the Sox play this year there are other teams around that had high expectations going into this year that are playing really horrible.

That's true.

But the Sox run differential is so bad, that they arguably should have a worse record than they do, based on total play.

Take a team like Oakland...they are a game worse than the Sox in the standings, but 103 net runs ahead of the Sox. What turns around - the runs or the standings?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
You mean like the Rays - who lead the Al East?

That's an aberration.

Historically, the teams that spend money and have veteran players are the teams that usually compete for playoff spots.

the post this day had me thinking in all sorts of way..

looking at how the sox done in picking up players on the waiver list, they are relatively quite, i wonder why? did they get offended on how they were made fun off on this site?? i think not.

would the sox are hesitant of make a White Flag Trade part deux?? i really hope not, b/c if the sox are not in the running, this yr of all yrs, they have to make the trades before anyone else.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
That's an aberration.

Historically, the teams that spend money and have veteran players are the teams that usually compete for playoff spots.

Hah, I realize that.

But still, minus Longoria, that Rays team looks an awful lot like a AAA club. Its unreal what they've done to this point.

This White Sox reminds me a lot of the Bears season. There were expectations coming into the season for both teams, and both just embarrassed themselves with horrible fundamental play.

How many games have we seen the White Sox just struggle to play defense? Base running?

Everything generally looks worse when a team doesn't hit, but the White Sox aren't playing tricks on your eyes. Not only do they not hit, but they don't field or run the bases.

It's probably too late to fire Robin Ventura and hope for any difference, I doubt it even would have mattered.

I feel sorry for Carlos Sanchez, he looks so overmatched at the plate; I feel how he hits is how i would hit, little dribblers and weak popups, but he's not the only one. 3B, C and 2B are guaranteed outs. John Danks is a human gas can. The rest of the rotation, outside Sale, has been up and down.

This looks like a 70-75 win team. If everything goes right.

Edited by spiderman

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 03:17 AM)
This White Sox reminds me a lot of the Bears season. There were expectations coming into the season for both teams, and both just embarrassed themselves with horrible fundamental play.

How many games have we seen the White Sox just struggle to play defense? Base running?

Everything generally looks worse when a team doesn't hit, but the White Sox aren't playing tricks on your eyes. Not only do they not hit, but they don't field or run the bases.

It's probably too late to fire Robin Ventura and hope for any difference, I doubt it even would have mattered.

I feel sorry for Carlos Sanchez, he looks so overmatched at the plate; I feel how he hits is how i would hit, little dribblers and weak popups, but he's not the only one. 3B, C and 2B are guaranteed outs. John Danks is a human gas can. The rest of the rotation, outside Sale, has been up and down.

This looks like a 70-75 win team. If everything goes right.

As for next year, sure seems like there is one rotation spot open and 2b/ss/3b/c starting spots. Hahn has his work cut out for him. Kind of funny how the Cubs strength is the Sox weakness, and the Cubs would love to have the young arms of the Sox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:01 PM)
As for next year, sure seems like there is one rotation spot open and 2b/ss/3b/c starting spots. Hahn has his work cut out for him. Kind of funny how the Cubs strength is the Sox weakness, and the Cubs would love to have the young arms of the Sox

I know it won't happen, but I still think Quintana to the Cubs for Schwarber & Baez makes too much sense for both teams.