Q trade value

ron883

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
What I'd ask for for Quintana: MLB ready C, MLB ready 3B, and an MLB ready starter.

For Sale: that, plus say 2-4 other prospects.

So for Quintana that would be: Schwarber (assuming he can stick at that position), Castro/Baez and Kyle Hendricks?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
So for Quintana that would be: Schwarber (assuming he can stick at that position), Castro/Baez and Kyle Hendricks?

Castro is at -0.5 war and has a more expensive extension in place.

Hendricks wouldn't make the top five for Cubs pitchers we'd target.

Hence, the problem. If they could agree on the pitcher, it would be Schwarber and Baez offered and we would only take Russell and Schwarber and the pitcher back in return.

Zero confidence we could fix Baez or Castro.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Avi is a DH without the certainty of 30 or even 25 homers and a marginal OBP.

What team would give you a young infielder with above average offensive and defensive upside for that? LaRoche at his age is more salary dump than the expectation of a return better than Nolan Sanburn.

You can probably get a Susac or Swihart/Vasquez...at catcher, but then you blow yet another hole in your offense where you don't have a minor league replacement.

It's like filling one leak in the dike with a sandbag...two more will holes will spring up.

If the SOX are not willing to trade Sale or Quintana, Abreu is the only position player in our entire system that would return a proven starter and top prospect. It would be interesting to see what the SOX could get for Avi. Since this team has 5 major holes (C,1B,2B,SS,DH) out of 8 moving Abreu or Avi still leaves 4-5 holes just at different positions.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 02:44 AM)
I'm getting tired of hearing "the Cubs won't give up blank for Sale/Q cause they're the real deal."

Then they don't get Sale or Quintana. Sale had the highest value in baseball and Quintana's is also extremely high.

Seriously. Just read this post over and over again before you post.

QUOTE (jdupps @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
If the SOX are not willing to trade Sale or Quintana, Abreu is the only position player in our entire system that would return a proven starter and top prospect. It would be interesting to see what the SOX could get for Avi. Since this team has 5 major holes (C,1B,2B,SS,DH) out of 8 moving Abreu or Avi still leaves 4-5 holes just at different positions.

How are 1B/DH holes? Abreu and LaRoche aren't terrible.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 12:32 AM)
What is this guys trade value? Can he net Schwarber+? Great contract. If he pitched as well as last season, he'd have very good trade value. It might be time to trade him. He'd dominate the NL.

This team desperately needs hitting prospects. Loading up on a couple from the Cubs could be a good idea.

Please stop

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 02:44 AM)
I'm getting tired of hearing "the Cubs won't give up blank for Sale/Q cause they're the real deal."

Then they don't get Sale or Quintana. Sale had the highest value in baseball and Quintana's is also extremely high.

I'm just getting tired of all the fake Sale to the Cubs trade scenarios.

The only Cubs players that could net Sale are currently producing on the major league level and the Cubs are contenders, so it makes no sense for the Cubs to trade them. It was feasible a year or two ago, not anymore, find a different trade partner.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 07:53 AM)
Better not look at twitter then. All sorts of proposals from Cubs fans.

Can always tell a trade comes from a Cubs fan or Cubs favoring media when the proposal includes Starlin Castro as a key piece.

The only good part of the Cubs getting Sale would be their fans calling him Chris Sales like Kerry Woods.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 07:53 AM)
Better not look at twitter then. All sorts of proposals from Cubs fans.

Can always tell a trade comes from a Cubs fan or Cubs favoring media when the proposal includes Starlin Castro as a key piece.

If the Sox were to trade Q or Sale, Starlin Castro would be literally worthless to them. There would be absolutely no reason for them to take on a big contract and a brand name player, unless they were getting an actual superstar back. If we traded Chris Sale for Gio Stanton, sure. For Starlin Castro? Yeah, the only way that works is if it is a three way deal that brings back another Top 5 BA prospect in the deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
If the Sox were to trade Q or Sale, Starlin Castro would be literally worthless to them. There would be absolutely no reason for them to take on a big contract and a brand name player, unless they were getting an actual superstar back. If we traded Chris Sale for Gio Stanton, sure. For Starlin Castro? Yeah, the only way that works is if it is a three way deal that brings back another Top 5 BA prospect in the deal.

Castro and a top 5 prospect is nowhere near enough to land Sale.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
Castro and a top 5 prospect is nowhere near enough to land Sale.

I wasn't clear on that. I mean another prospect, as in, more than one top notch BA prospect... Such as a top guy from the Cubs, plus a top guy from another team to get Castro, and then we can talk about another piece or two to finish the deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
I wasn't clear on that. I mean another prospect, as in, more than one top notch BA prospect... Such as a top guy from the Cubs, plus a top guy from another team to get Castro, and then we can talk about another piece or two to finish the deal.

Yep. Maybe something like Casto, Schwarber, Almora and another top 6-8 guy in the Cubs system, plus a top 5 guy in all of baseball from another team would get the Sox listening.

But, as you know, Sale isn't going anywhere. To land him, you'd have to clear out a top 5 farm system, and I don't think that is going to happen.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
Yep. Maybe something like Casto, Schwarber, Almora and another top 6-8 guy in the Cubs system, plus a top 5 guy in all of baseball from another team would get the Sox listening.

But, as you know, Sale isn't going anywhere. To land him, you'd have to clear out a top 5 farm system, and I don't think that is going to happen.

Absolutely. The idea of Chris Sale leaving the White Sox is ridiculous. The only way that happens is if Chris Sale publicly campaigns to leave, and then it is still a maybe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Such as a top guy from the Cubs, plus a top guy from another team to get Castro,

Castro doesn't get another team's top guy or near-top guy. Inconsistent offense, frustrating defense, $50+ million and 5+ years owed.

Lots of other teams to deal with than the Cubs. Schwarber really isn't what the Sox would need as a showcase piece - it's doubtful that he's a catcher, and he would be a serviceable OF. Sox need an outfielder badly, but one who can hit and defend.

The Dodgers top 2 are more interesting.

Most of these Cubs ideas (Schwarber and one other) are more appropriate for Q.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
If you trade Chris Sale or Jose Quintana, why in the world would you want Starlin Castro?

I know, it makes zero sense but then again we are talking about cub fans.

Honestly, I wouldn't even trade Danks for Castro. In fact, there's nothing the cubs could do or say to get me to trade for Castro. The guy is a complete bonehead and would be one of those idiots that smiles after he makes a game changing error.

Nope, cub fans are stuck with that guy.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)

Honestly, I wouldn't even trade Danks for Castro. In fact, there's nothing the cubs could do or say to get me to trade for Castro. The guy is a complete bonehead and would be one of those idiots that smiles after he makes a game changing error.

I can't even put the words together to respond.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)

i hate the northsiders but if the sox can get rid of Danks and his contract, i am all for it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
I would. In a minute. Castro isn't awesome and the way he acts isn't helping him but he's a decent SS on a great deal. John Danks is a decent person and getting paid like a great baseball player.

I guess my point of view is their contract lengths. I would rather have Danks for the next 1.5 years than Castro for the next 4.5 years. I just do not trust Castro's defense and his bat has not been very good this year either. Castro is just too lackadaisical on defense. IMHO, I pass on him.

So far this year, Starlin Castro has been worth -0.4 fWAR, John Danks has been worth 0.6 fWAR. Castro was a solid player last year, 2.7 fWAR in 2014, but he was a negative player in 2013 as well.

I'd probably still take his contract on since our SS position is a gaping hole, but this is closer than the immediate responses make it sound.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
So far this year, Starlin Castro has been worth -0.4 fWAR, John Danks has been worth 0.6 fWAR. Castro was a solid player last year, 2.7 fWAR in 2014, but he was a negative player in 2013 as well.

I'd probably still take his contract on since our SS position is a gaping hole, but this is closer than the immediate responses make it sound.

the problem for me, is not knowing those advance stats.

but for me, getting rid of danks and his salary vs who can help now and in the future at SS does that for me.

it is a win - win situation.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
the problem for me, is not knowing those advance stats.

but for me, getting rid of danks and his salary vs who can help now and in the future at SS does that for me.

it is a win - win situation.

Not if Castro is performing like this. It actually would make us worse.