Hickman Tommy John

Jerksticks

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
This most likely explains how they got a 2nd/3rd round talent in round 7 for $200,000. It's fine.

Basically the equation becomes would you pay $200,000 and wait a year to get a million dollar pitcher? Remember, the Sox second round pick had a slot of around $1.25 million. Hickman could have been picked there. At their third round pick, his slot value would have been about $800k.

In a case where the Sox had neither a 2nd or 3rd round pick, this is an investment that makes sense for the Sox. They got a discount for a 2nd round pick to be named later basically.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
Basically the equation becomes would you pay $200,000 and wait a year to get a million dollar pitcher? Remember, the Sox second round pick had a slot of around $1.25 million. Hickman could have been picked there. At their third round pick, his slot value would have been about $800k.

In a case where the Sox had neither a 2nd or 3rd round pick, this is an investment that makes sense for the Sox. They got a discount for a 2nd round pick to be named later basically.

Makes sense, I did not know they received a discount there. For some reason I thought he got slot.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
Makes sense, I did not know they received a discount there. For some reason I thought he got slot.

He got $200k vs $213,400.

But more accurately I used the term "discount" to mean what he got this year versus what he would have gotten in the 2nd or 3rd round for a bonus. If he had been our 2nd round pick, he would have gotten $1.25 million for slot. That is a literal million dollar discount. Versus a 3rd round slot, the Sox saved $600,000 for Hickman.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
He got $200k vs $213,400.

But more accurately I used the term "discount" to mean what he got this year versus what he would have gotten in the 2nd or 3rd round for a bonus. If he had been our 2nd round pick, he would have gotten $1.25 million for slot. That is a literal million dollar discount. Versus a 3rd round slot, the Sox saved $600,000 for Hickman.

money wise, contract signing and all, i really don't know.

what i like is, he will be under the sox medical people in rehabbing. so he will doing it the right way.

The one thing that does seem a bit scary even if you are of the belief TJ surgery is no big deal, it's not like this guy has a lot of pitching under his belt. He blew it out quickly. Maybe I am way off, but that would make me think he is a guy who would be a good candidate to have this surgery again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
The one thing that does seem a bit scary even if you are of the belief TJ surgery is no big deal, it's not like this guy has a lot of pitching under his belt. He blew it out quickly. Maybe I am way off, but that would make me think he is a guy who would be a good candidate to have this surgery again.

wasn't there talk about him being a catcher as well??

with a possibility of a recurring injury and surgery..... there is always that possibility.

but then again, he will be rehabbing with the sox people which i would trust more than college coaches.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
wasn't there talk about him being a catcher as well??

with a possibility of a recurring injury and surgery..... there is always that possibility.

but then again, he will be rehabbing with the sox people which i would trust more than college coaches.

He was a catcher until last season when he pitched 35 innings. I would think either genetically he may have issues in his arm, or he must have some messed up mechanics. Then he pitched in the Cape Cod league before busting loose this season. He has 119 IP as a college pitcher, not counting what he did in the Cape Cod league. Of course he was a catcher, so it wasn't like he wasn't throwing before. It just seems really quick to get injured.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
He was a catcher until last season when he pitched 35 innings. I would think either genetically he may have issues in his arm, or he must have some messed up mechanics. Then he pitched in the Cape Cod league before busting loose this season. He has 119 IP as a college pitcher, not counting what he did in the Cape Cod league. Of course he was a catcher, so it wasn't like he wasn't throwing before. It just seems really quick to get injured.

yeah. but a TJ injury can happen on a littlest thing.

mine happen when i caught an elderly man at the food store down here. i had to have my shoulder completely rebuild. so it was a TJ + additional shoulder repair.

i still like the fact that he would be rehabbing no matter what kind of injury.