Who represents the Sox in the All Star Game?

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
Robertson MIGHT have a chance if he starts to pitch well again. He was dominating for a long time until he hit a road bump a few weeks ago.

Go take a look at how good some of the other relievers are. There are 5 different guys with ERAs under 1. That doesn't count the guy with 23 saves and 0 blown saves in the pen across the park from us tonight or Andrew Miller with a whopping 0.68 WHIP.

Robertson is not even close. You could fill an entire AS staff with relievers out of the AL, ignoring the Starters, and Robertson still wouldn't belong on it.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
Maybe they can orchestrate some sort of trade with KC for anyone at all, since everyone on their 40-man roster is a shoo-in.

I would honestly love for the starting lineup to be all Royals. The All-Star game has become such a joke, it might as well be unapologetically so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 05:58 PM)
Neither Robertson nor Abreu are anywhere close.

Ehh..Jose probably won't make it unless he gets hot the next few weeks, but even tho he has been a disappointment compared to last season, his numbers will keep him in the conversation.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 10:18 PM)
Robertson's had an excellent year. Great numbers. But they won't pick him off of a horrible team.

Are you serious?

Roberston is tied for the AL lead in blown saves.

He has not had an excellent year... not even close.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
Are you serious?

I guess you measure starters by how many losses they have.

.84 WHIP, 12+Ks/9 is an excellent year.

Sale is the only one that deserves to be there. There's an outside (way outside) chance that Abreu or Robertson could get there, but I doubt it.

I think it's a shame what's happening this year with the Royals' fans are abusing the system. But, maybe something like this had to happen to make MLB realize that the game is a joke. If this is how the players are being selected, the game can't mean anything. Even if a decision is made to drop the meaning (home field advantage) of the game, there should be a discussion about how to keep a player like Omar Infante out of the all star conversation.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)

I can't remember the specific circumstances of all four blown saves....there was at least one that had some defensive lapses behind him and one where there was a wild pitch that could easily have been blocked (would still have been a blown save but maybe not a loss)...this is one of those cases where the results look worse than the performance.

With Addison Reed, for much of 2012 until the very end, the results (saves converted) were better than the peripherals.

Of course, when you're paid among the game's elite, even advanced metrics analysts realize the save conversion rate is the first thing they're going to look at when there's an arbitration hearing for a closer.

Abreu and Robertson are completely out of the conversation at this point...

Pujols might get a look because of his iconic status and offensive resurgence this season. Cabrera should be the starter, with Hosmer or Teixeira the back-up. Abreu's probably 4th.

The NL is the real battle, with Goldschmidt, Rizzo, Votto, A-Gonz, Freddie Freeman and Lucas Duda...the first five, in particular.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 10:37 PM)

I measure a closer by his ability to close games.

ERA. WHIP those are all nice (honestly they mean a lot more to me for a starting pitcher) but a closers job is to close.

Roberston was great early in the year since then he has been folding like a lawn chair more often then not.

He gets in with the lead his job is to keep that lead - the stats say the he leads the American League in FAILING at that job.

That's not all star material - I don't recall any defensive lapses behind him either. I can remember 3 of the blown saves for sure and it was 100% him. I cant remember the other but I could look it up.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
Are you serious?

The saves stat is dumb and he's had a damn fine year. That said, I think he at least belongs in the conversation, but there enough other relievers doing ridiculous things in the AL that I'd be unsurprised if he is left out.

Sale is a lock.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
The saves stat is dumb and he's had a damn fine year. That said, I think he at least belongs in the conversation, but there enough other relievers doing ridiculous things in the AL that I'd be unsurprised if he is left out.

Sale is a lock.

So when he comes into the game and loses the lead/game WHEN THAT'S HIS JOB?

that's a "dumb" stat we should ignore... the very thing he was signed to do.

lol....

Roberston has been okay - but if you look at the list of closers in the American League... he aint an all star.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
So when he comes into the game and loses the lead/game WHEN THAT'S HIS JOB?

that's a "dumb" stat we should ignore... the very thing he was signed to do.

lol....

Roberston has been okay - but if you look at the list of closers in the American League... he aint an all star.

He was signed to pitch well and he has. Saves are and always have been arbitrary and uninformative and I'm not that interested in a detailed discussion of why, but yes, I'll continue to ignore them. But I'm fully aware that they're a big part of how all-stars are chosen.