Addison Reed/Davidson trade

oldsox

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone except Kevin Towers saw this one coming a mile away. Reed's fastball had dipped into the 93-94 range in 2013 and with that velocity has was gonna need a good breaking ball -- and he couldn't throw it for a strike 50% of his appearances. BABIP luck (HRs really) let him hold on as long as he did but Hahn did really well to see the writing on the wall and get a good prospect for him. Davidson hasn't panned out but that trade you do 100/100. Reed was a good closer (but hardly elite like some around here wanted to argue) when he was sitting around 95 and could throw his slider for a strike but for whatever reason those two things weren't happening anymore.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
I can't imagine Davidson ever making the majors at this point. I imagine Reed should still contribute at some point.

He had a promising cup of coffee with the D-Backs a couple of years ago. And then our system got a hold of him....

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
He had a promising cup of coffee with the D-Backs a couple of years ago. And then our system got a hold of him....

Reed had a promising first couple years with the White Sox. And then the Dbacks got a hold of him.....

;)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
I can't imagine Davidson ever making the majors at this point. I imagine Reed should still contribute at some point.

Figures Davidson busts out the Sombrero after I wrote that post. :lol:

As for Reed, I think chitownsportsfan pretty much summed up my feelings in his post. This is the second straight year of Reed regressing with this year being especially bad.

At this point, there's really does not appear to be a winner in that trade.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)

Assuming we start selling off players at the deadline I could see him being called up at some point. He could be Mark Reynoldsy in a platoon.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:53 PM)
Davidson does have a 113 wRC+ in AAA.

Is he really doing that badly?

It's fake IMO. Same reason people would say Dunn was productive. We don't need any more useless high strikeout, power once a week guys. Can't we just get some f***ing baseball players that shoot gaps n wear down pitchers. f*** Davidson & f*** laroche & f*** adam dunn who ruined PKs last 4 yrs.

Poor relief pitchers/closers. Almost all of em suck after a couple years. Even the Royals' closer now has been on the DL this year and some are calling for Davis to replace Holland. It's a no win job. You will suck after a couple years of greatness unless your name is Rivera.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:53 PM)
Davidson does have a 113 wRC+ in AAA.

Is he really doing that badly?

He has big power. I'd much rather have him play vs LHP than Beckham or Gillaspie. Understand what he is though. Homers and lots of strikeouts. There's always been this fallacy on this board though that strikeouts are the worst thing in the world. He'd be hated quickly.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:17 AM)
It's fake IMO. Same reason people would say Dunn was productive. We don't need any more useless high strikeout, power once a week guys. Can't we just get some f***ing baseball players that shoot gaps n wear down pitchers. f*** Davidson & f*** laroche & f*** adam dunn who ruined PKs last 4 yrs.

We have no power at the moment.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
He has big power. I'd much rather have him play vs LHP than Beckham or Gillaspie. Understand what he is though. Homers and lots of strikeouts. There's always been this fallacy on this board though that strikeouts are the worst thing in the world. He'd be hated quickly.

esp if his avg is 200 with 20 hrs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:33 AM)
Poor relief pitchers/closers. Almost all of em suck after a couple years. Even the Royals' closer now has been on the DL this year and some are calling for Davis to replace Holland. It's a no win job. You will suck after a couple years of greatness unless your name is Rivera.

Exactly. Which is why no one should be upset that we traded an arbitration-eligible reliever for a good 3B prospect, even if that prospect busts. It's worth a shot when the alternative is Connor Gillaspie.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
If they both amount to basically nothing we win due to the money saved.

Maybe that money is being spent on Bonafacio. The problem with the trade is whether anyone really wants to admit it or not, Reed was a definite asset on a rebuilding team. The asset was traded away for a strikeout machine, which the White Sox apparently are attracted to in their system, who has little chance to ever help the team. If you trade Reed fine. But it isn't about well, Reed ultimately failed so getting a guy that failed is great. Whoever is responsible for scouting Davidson blew it. If you make a trade for a team's #1 ranked prospect, but could have had their #10 ranked prospect, and the #10 ranked prospect turns out to be a better player. You blew it. When Hahn or KW are making trades, it doesn't matter what the BA ranking is. It doesn't matter what the mlb.com ranking is, or what BP or Fangraphs thinks, it's ultimately what the White Sox think. And what they thought of Matt Davidson was wrong.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
Maybe that money is being spent on Bonafacio. The problem with the trade is whether anyone really wants to admit it or not, Reed was a definite asset on a rebuilding team. The asset was traded away for a strikeout machine, which the White Sox apparently are attracted to in their system, who has little chance to ever help the team. If you trade Reed fine. But it isn't about well, Reed ultimately failed so getting a guy that failed is great. Whoever is responsible for scouting Davidson blew it. If you make a trade for a team's #1 ranked prospect, but could have had their #10 ranked prospect, and the #10 ranked prospect turns out to be a better player. You blew it. When Hahn or KW are making trades, it doesn't matter what the BA ranking is. It doesn't matter what the mlb.com ranking is, or what BP or Fangraphs thinks, it's ultimately what the White Sox think. And what they thought of Matt Davidson was wrong.

i do agree with you, esp when the sox could have used him last yr.

however, the idea was a good idea, the execution of it was really bad.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
esp if his avg is 200 with 20 hrs.

And if he was that bad, he'd go back or be gone. He actually has a wRC+ of 116 this year. In 2012 he had a 134, 2013 he had a 109, and last year with the White Sox was his worst ever at 77. Her has a higher walk rate this year than the past too. He has 30 walks and had 49 all of last season. On the flip side, his strikeouts % is actually higher than last year. 33% to 30%.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:33 AM)

IMO it's because they try to throw too hard too often. Since they are out there for a short period of time, they throw as hard as they can. It's effective in the short term but adversely effects them in the long term.