White Sox July 2 International Signing Period preview

NorthSideSox72

Guest writer Joshua Strong with a detailed look at international amateurs eligible to sign in the new July 2nd Intl period that have been linked to the White Sox by some sources. Gives a nice intro to the state of the Sox Intl efforts, and mini-profiles of the players the team is supposedly after. Here is the article.

With the MLB team stinking it up, it is nice to look at what new talent can be injected into the system.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:00 PM)
Meh

i like the article, but i am wishing .... oh well. either way nice.

on your pessimistic view, how off is the sox in the Lucius Fox-ss and Vladimir Guerrero Jr-of signing with the sox??

edit... ~~ what is your opinion on juan soto

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
i like the article, but i am wishing .... oh well. either way nice.

on your pessimistic view, how off is the sox in the Lucius Fox-ss and Vladimir Guerrero Jr-of signing with the sox??

edit... ~~ what is your opinion on juan soto

Not a pessimistic view, just poking fun at my self. The Sox INTL DEPT might be one of the stronger depts in the entire organization.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr is not signing with the White Sox, he's been reported as being a done deal with the Blue Jays. I think that Fox is going to sign with the Dodgers as they're going to overspend. I'm not that high on Soto. I think that there are other outfielders.

-

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
Not a pessimistic view, just poking fun at my self. The Sox INTL DEPT might be one of the stronger depts in the entire organization.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr is not signing with the White Sox, he's been reported as being a done deal with the Blue Jays. I think that Fox is going to sign with the Dodgers as they're going to overspend. I'm not that high on Soto. I think that there are other outfielders.

-

i hope you didn't take what i wrote wrong, i too was joking. dang it maybe i should have used green. sorry.

re soto.... there is something i read many months ago, i think i mention it before on the int'l draft of wishing the sox will over spend... the article i read was, of course a fluff piece, but i am intrigue... i just wish i knew why.

vlad and fox, top 10 prospects and nice profile on their .... dang what was when all the prospect comes in to show off what they can do??? we, they did pretty good there.

just wishful thinking.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)

-

yeah thanks to Paddy.... hey, why not him for a co-gm and get rid of the president office in the sox org???

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
yeah thanks to Paddy.... hey, why not him for a co-gm and get rid of the president office in the sox org???

He shouldn't be co-GM, Rick Hahn has done nothing to have his job questioned, he's a fantastic GM but if the team were to fire Laumann, I would think that Paddy becomes the internal favorite for becoming the new scouting director.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)
Do the Sox feel like they'd have any real shot at signing Maitan? I realize its far off but it seems like some other org is always able to outspend them.

During next year's cycle, 10 teams will be in the red. That gives the Sox a good a chance as anybody.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...nal-bonus-pool/

Yeah I had seen that. I just wonder, if they had a real chance of signing Eddy, if it would be worth it to get such a high ceiling player and not have to worry about competing for "the best intl prospect since Miggy", even in a reduced field.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
He shouldn't be co-GM, Rick Hahn has done nothing to have his job questioned, he's a fantastic GM but if the team were to fire Laumann, I would think that Paddy becomes the internal favorite for becoming the new scouting director.

Really?!?! How in the world could you make such statements, based on the results of the past three seasons. He's on his way to his second last place finish in three years. That hardly classifies him as a "fantastic GM", of all things, and certainly opens the judgments and decisions he's made to plenty of questions.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
Hahn has to take the word of his scouts and bosses just like any other GM. He has made an impressive amount of rationally sound baseball moves, given the org's position the last few years.

Exactly, thanks Daggins.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
Nice. Good stuff!

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
Nice piece gentlemen. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Sox approach this.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
That is a well written and informative writeup Joshua, well done.

Thanks

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
Yeah I had seen that. I just wonder, if they had a real chance of signing Eddy, if it would be worth it to get such a high ceiling player and not have to worry about competing for "the best intl prospect since Miggy", even in a reduced field.

I don't think the buzz around him is quite like Ichiro, Hideki Matsui or even Yoan Moncada.

Hahn has to take the word of his scouts and bosses just like any other GM. He has made an impressive amount of rationally sound baseball moves, given the org's position the last few years.

Does that include signing Viciedo to a $4+ large contract and then releasing him a couple of weeks later?

We'll then, he ought to be mighty skeptical by now of "the word of his scouts and bosses", given the current state of the organization. Don't you think?