2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
None this year, but Sekac will be a FA while Garbutt was still signed for next season. link

Nice. Sekac is also 23 and apparently a skilled winger that really hasnt had the results yet. I wonder if our system will open up his game a bit.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
None this year, but Sekac will be a FA while Garbutt was still signed for next season. link

i am surprise at the trade and Garbutt did his job. he brought his lunch box to the ice .....

but as someone asked of savings. i can see the hawks trading him if it meant the player coming is a fa next yr. i see this as moving pieces for the bigger picture.

resigning Panarin and the salary he would want...... that is the priority .

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
i am surprise at the trade and Garbutt did his job. he brought his lunch box to the ice .....

but as someone asked of savings. i can see the hawks trading him if it meant the player coming is a fa next yr. i see this as moving pieces for the bigger picture.

I think he became redundant with the emergence of some of the other lower line guys, plus Kruger is coming back some day...

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
This is also kind of a Bowman special, he did this last year with the Ben Smith-Desjardins trade. Smith was signed for two years, Desi was a FA at the end of the year.

I think everyone, including Bowman was surprised at how well Desjardins turned out, but the idea was exactly the same at the time.

And Ben Smith was put on waivers yesterday.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
I think he became redundant with the emergence of some of the other lower line guys, plus Kruger is coming back some day...

and everything you is true...... i just like that there is a little money savings for next yr and the breadman new contract.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Panik overslept and missed practice, so is scratched tonight. Not a great way to make some good first week impressions.

That's a shame. Dude was one of our more productive players in the bottom 6 with minimal ice time and system adjustment. That's how guys get in Q's doghouse quick.

I don't understand how grown-ups oversleep for things. I wake up every day at the same time even when I don't want to.

Me too, or at least close to it. On days I work my alarm goes off at 6:20. On days I don't work, I can usually sleep about an hour past that. If I'm really tired, maybe two hours.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
Let's remove being a grown-up for second.

They were on the road, so you can have your phone alarm, a hotel wake up call, your agent call you every day, and most guys, especially at the level of a guy like Panik, have a roommate on the road. It's quite an impressive feet actually.

Apparently they did away with roommates but still, it was 11:30. You either got drunk last night or took 2 ambien.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)

Someday people will stop with this. Unless the player is similar to Shaw who can give you some offense, these guys who hit people and only hit people are useless in today's NHL. The Canucks in the past and the Blues & Ducks recently have tried to sign and trade for guys who can bully the Hawks and other teams and it just doesn't work. Garbutt is horrible, and to think he was a 1st line player earlier this season disgusts me. As someone else here said, Garbutt is easily replaceable

Sekac does have NHL experience, too. He played in 50 games for the Habs last year. I can't find a spot for him on the roster now unless they do away with Panik after oversleeping, but he will get some ice time here

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
Turning Saad into Anisimov is Bowman's magnum opus this season. The fact is, the top line is hurting offensively, but the second line is just orders of magnitudes better with Kane having a real center.

As far as Panarin goes, maybe GMs will finally get over the KHL threat.

I disagree on Toews' line. Toews and Shaw have been great offensively lately. Toews has 6 points in his last 5 and Shaw has 3 assists in his last 5

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
I disagree on Toews' line. Toews and Shaw have been great offensively lately. Toews has 6 points in his last 5 and Shaw has 3 assists in his last 5

Shaw is not a real scoring threat. Ideally, you want some combination of Shaw/Teuvo as your first line winger in Saad's old position.

I really like the Sekac/Garbutt deal for the Hawks. He's younger and FAR more skilled. I was just watching Sekac last night against the Wild, and he can create some scoring chances. It certainly adds a little offense for this season, and hopefully they can lock him up for the same salary because he has potential. And obviously as stated, this frees up over 800k in salary for next year.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
Shaw is not a real scoring threat. Ideally, you want some combination of Shaw/Teuvo as your first line winger in Saad's old position.

I know that much, but you can't deny that he's been showing far more offensive ability than any other winger has this year on that line. I don't believe he sticks for the whole year, but someone else has to be better, preferrably Teuvo.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
I know that much, but you can't deny that he's been showing far more offensive ability than any other winger has this year on that line. I don't believe he sticks for the whole year, but someone else has to be better, preferrably Teuvo.

There are 2 reasons Shaw is so successful on that line. 1, due to not being a center, he has more freedom to roam around the ice and 2, since he has 2 of the best defensive forwards in the NHL on a line with him, he can be way more aggressive. The top line wasn't doing much of anything until Shaw stuck there. I'm not attributing Toews' resurgence entirely to Shaw, but it's certainly helping.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:50 PM)
Someday people will stop with this. Unless the player is similar to Shaw who can give you some offense, these guys who hit people and only hit people are useless in today's NHL. The Canucks in the past and the Blues & Ducks recently have tried to sign and trade for guys who can bully the Hawks and other teams and it just doesn't work. Garbutt is horrible, and to think he was a 1st line player earlier this season disgusts me. As someone else here said, Garbutt is easily replaceable

Sekac does have NHL experience, too. He played in 50 games for the Habs last year. I can't find a spot for him on the roster now unless they do away with Panik after oversleeping, but he will get some ice time here

did i ever say i was against this trade. garbutt is nothing but a role players and did his job. as far as i know he was passable at it. look at bickell he couldn't do that same job. the bottom line, this was a trade to help clear salary next yr in which will help provide salary for the bread man. he is more important which i have stated again.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
There are 2 reasons Shaw is so successful on that line. 1, due to not being a center, he has more freedom to roam around the ice and 2, since he has 2 of the best defensive forwards in the NHL on a line with him, he can be way more aggressive. The top line wasn't doing much of anything until Shaw stuck there. I'm not attributing Toews' resurgence entirely to Shaw, but it's certainly helping.

Shaw does the one thing that line needs, and that is take up space in the painted area.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
She got the days wrong. Also didn't the Hawks fly home after the last game of a circus trip? The Internet is so dumb.

well i was waiting for someone else to bring up more info.....

i just thought it was sooo stupid and fake.

at least i hope so.