2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
If the Hawks didn't have the superstars behind the brand, no one would still care about them. It is easy to ride the coattails of a team that is winning, which is exactly what McDonough has done.

Good players draw good ratings. Well marketed good players draw Blackhawks ratings.

You call it riding the coattails, but the reality is, McDonough has used winning to enhance the brand, something no two players can do.

It's okay if you don't understand, but the reality is, marketing is what separates the Blackhawks from most other organizations. They outdraw everyone like it's Canada.

And I remember Kane getting drafted. No one here cared.

And your argument is a bad one. It doesn't at all detract from what McDonough has done.

Edited by AustinIllini

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Good players draw good ratings. Well marketed good players draw Blackhawks ratings.

You call it riding the coattails, but the reality is, McDonough has used winning to enhance the brand, something no two players can do.

It's okay if you don't understand, but the reality is, marketing is what separates the Blackhawks from most other organizations. They outdraw everyone like it's Canada.

And I remember Kane getting drafted. No one here cared.

And your argument is a bad one. It doesn't at all detract from what McDonough has done.

You are giving way too much praise to someone who has nothing to do with the final product. Your argument is the equal of Donald Trump as a business man. He started off on 3rd base, made it home, and now people think he is some kind of super-genius.

Your argument also ignores the fact the the Hawks were one of the premiere brands in hockey before being run into the ground. The fan base was dormant, not non-existent.

What separates the Hawks from other brands is that they keep winning. If this was the cheap Bill Wirtz Mid-2000's management version of the Hawks, nothing that McDonough is doing would matter, exactly like Brooks Boyer with the White Sox.

I get both points. They complement each other. He's maybe the premier sports marketer, but McDonough has had very little to do with winning 3 Stanley Cups in 6 years on the ice. That's obviously a lot to work with, but what he's done with it has been phenomenal.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
I get both points. They complement each other. He's maybe the premier sports marketer, but McDonough has had very little to do with winning 3 Stanley Cups in 6 years on the ice. That's obviously a lot to work with, but what he's done with it has been phenomenal.

Agreed on this. If McDonough can drive this team to profitability, that's arguably 1/1A important as the cups.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
Agreed on this. If McDonough can drive this team to profitability, that's arguably 1/1A important as the cups.

Wait... what? Profitability of the hockey team is as important as winning Cups? I'm very confused..

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
Wait... what? Profitability of the hockey team is as important as winning Cups? I'm very confused..

I mean, unless you want the salary cap to stagnate like it has.

Profitability of teams have far reaching implications on the league. It has never been more evident than right now, when most of the NHL's profit is in Canadian dollars and the Canadian dollar is weak. It would be far better for the league to be more profitable in both countries.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
I mean, unless you want the salary cap to stagnate like it has.

Profitability of teams have far reaching implications on the league. It has never been more evident than right now, when most of the NHL's profit is in Canadian dollars and the Canadian dollar is weak. It would be far better for the league to be more profitable in both countries.

Ok, but that's a league wide argument. That's not a Blackhawks specific argument. Therefore, it's of little relevance to the topic at hand (ie, whether McDonough or the team winning is responsible for profitability)...

To your league wide point, it's obviously good as a whole for the league if a big market is your dominant franchise. But don't kid yourself, if this were the pre-Kane and pre-Toews Hawks years, no amount of McDonough could sell out the UC year after year. Winning is far more important than McDonough to the Hawks' profitability.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
I hope McDouche doesn't try and censor Foley the rest of his broadcasting career. I can easily see that happening. He is the definition of "my way or the highway".

Hes good at his job but hes a first class dickface. Not very well liked by the rank and file people in the org.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
If this is true, the White Sox should spare no expense to take him from the Blackhawks. Attendance problem solved. One fewer thread on SoxTalk.

You're damn right they should. But that's not a move up for McDonough.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
Of the teams leading their series, I don't think the Stars can win the cup. They don't look good against a hurt, bad minnesota team.

Reverse jinxing I see. If St. Louis knocks out the Hawks the Stars have a tougher road. They match up better vs the Hawks tha. St. Louis imo

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)
Reverse jinxing I see. If St. Louis knocks out the Hawks the Stars have a tougher road. They match up better vs the Hawks tha. St. Louis imo

Oh, for sure. But while the Hawks have been somewhat questionable for much of this series, Dallas has gone through worse periods.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
Oh, for sure. But while the Hawks have been somewhat questionable for much of this series, Dallas has gone through worse periods.

I think St Louis's defense is not what Dallas wants to see. Meanwhile the kings are about done

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
The East is just easier to pick, too. Lightning can't win in their current situation.

Detroit was never going to win the cup.

Then again I also had SJ in my impossible group so who knows. If Washington doesn't come out of the east, I don't think anyone can beat the top 4 west teams.