2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 10:34 PM)
I probably should've said with the arrival of Gustafsson also since he's been there a few more games than Scuderi . But Gus has been impressive being a +12 in the 15 games he's played.

I didn't know other fans talk about the Hawks in that way. I know I mentioned how the Hawks reminded me of those 90's Wings teams but that was maybe in the preseason with the arrival of all the Russian players. Seems like there's been a Russian revival in the NHL this year or maybe I'm just noticing more than the last few years. But there is some incredible Russian talent in the NHL now.

Even in the way the Hawks play its quite a bit like those Wings teams. They had to have a grinder line back then because the NHL was still a fighting/physical league, but today its not totally necessary.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:23 AM)
I went to the Devils/Coyotes game here in AZ yesterday. Man, what a downgrade in experience from the UC. Only about 60% filled, and both teams were so sloppy. Probably didn't help the atmosphere that the Yotes lost 2-0.

Did you at least see Adam Eaton and/or Frankie Muniz? They go to lots of Coyotes games.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
f*** that talentless plug.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
+2

He's a player, he was voted in per the rules. He should go.

And don't get me wrong, I don't like him as a player, but I completely understand a guy who makes the league minimum wanting to play (as he was voted on) for the chance to win a large sum of money for a bottom of the barrel player. He should be able to play.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
John Scott has been reinstated as Pacific Division All-Star captain. Woohoo.

In other news, the future salary cap hell might be looking worse for the Hawks with the loonie dropping in value. Interesting read about it: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hock..._medium=twitter

Good for Scott, s***ty for the Hawks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
Good for Scott, s***ty for the Hawks.

The Hawks are in cap hell every offseason for the foreseeable future. As long as the Cap remains reasonably flat, the big contracts are going to be a problem. Tony said it best, at some point the bottom will drop out on this and the Hawks will become a more fringe playoff team at which point drafting and smart contracts for younger players will shape future success.

In the short term, it will be interesting to see how the Hawks manage to fit Panarin into their future plans.

I will say this. Having not been to the UC since the Hawks weren't on TV, the lasting impact of Toews, Kane, Rocky, McDonough et al is a lot more than Cups. That environment is electric and exciting and Chicago is the new Hockeytown USA.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
I don't even know if we'll be able to sign Panarin long-term.

Depends what kind of bridge contract he wants. The problem is, if he wants Saad money, you might be right. I tend to believe they'll make room for Panarin. Not sure what it will cost, however.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
I don't even know if we'll be able to sign Panarin long-term.

It would be a lot easier if they didn't give a certain D-man a very long extension this past offseason. I still think that one is gonna bite the most.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
It would be a lot easier if they didn't give a certain D-man a very long extension this past offseason. I still think that one is gonna bite the most.

Agreed. The 7 contract is the new Bickell contract. I don't want to pay Brent Seabrook when he's almost 40. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll age like Hossa, but Hossa's longevity is special.

Between aging Hossa, post prime Keith and Seabrook, some cap magic may be necessary. The recapture penalty is just nuts. The current workaround is the Flyers' Pronger situation, but I doubt the Hawks will be able to put three players on LTIR like Pronger.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Vincent Goodwill ‏@vgoodwill 21m21 minutes ago

Fred Hoiberg said Joakim Noah underwent successful shoulder surgery this morning. And Mike Dunleavy has done non-contact drills for 2 days

Can Dunleavy play winger?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)

They got Bickell and Scuderi coming off the books after next season. That's 6 million right there. That's not counting Danault and Hartman who will both probably replace Kruger and Shaw.. they'll be fine.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
They got Bickell and Scuderi coming off the books after next season. That's 6 million right there. That's not counting Danault and Hartman who will both probably replace Kruger and Shaw.. they'll be fine.

I completely forgot. I cannot wait for that day. Panarin will likely fill a lot of that, but he's definitely worth it.