2015-16 NHL thread

There was a local case just last week where a 22 year old guy was charged with statutory rape for having sex with a 15 year old he met at a bar. Being that she was in a bar he had pretty good reason to believe she was legal. Seemed like a s***ty deal for the guy.

Obviously no details in Kane's case yet, but it sounds like it could be the same kind of thing.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
There was a local case just last week where a 22 year old guy was charged with statutory rape for having sex with a 15 year old he met at a bar. Being that she was in a bar he had pretty good reason to believe she was legal. Seemed like a s***ty deal for the guy.

Obviously no details in Kane's case yet, but it sounds like it could be the same kind of thing.

I believe thay case was a Craigslist meet up gone wrong. Either way nothing to indicate this was statutory here.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
I believe thay case was a Craigslist meet up gone wrong. Either way nothing to indicate this was statutory here.

Yeah it looks like its the standard, met at a bar, had sex, accused of rape.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
A neighbor of mine is a cop and he once told me I wouldn't believe how many rape accusations are made in Lincoln Park every weekend. Very few are ever actually charged.

Ive heard the same. Alot of regret over one night stands and how big of a jerk the guy was and this is their first inclination, like "Ill show him." The kit usually shows something but even if its not much evidence its word against word and a good lawyer will get that tossed unfortunately.

I attended a mandatory date rape seminar back in the day and the advice on how to react was contradictory at times, either dont do anything or make sure you scratch the offender to have proof. Its a very gray area.

most sexual assault victims do not physically resist their attackers. 70% of rape victims receive no physical injury during rape. Only 4% of victims suffer significant injuries.
Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
Yeah it looks like its the standard, met at a bar, had sex, accused of rape.

Which basically means maybe he is guilty, maybe not, but the truth will probably never come out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
Some media already calling for the Hawks to terminate his contract.

Apparently those media members have never heard of the NHLPA.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
A neighbor of mine is a cop and he once told me I wouldn't believe how many rape accusations are made in Lincoln Park every weekend. Very few are ever actually charged.

I think the problem is proof of rape. Proof of sex is easy, proof that it was not consensual is hard, especially if it was a one-on-one situation with no one around.

On a side note, Kane has his demons, and has done some not so great things, but he's NEVER struck me as a rapist. I dont think he needs to force himself on a woman to have sex.

Edited by HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (HuskyCaucasian @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
On a side note, Kane has his demons, and has done some not so great things, but he's NEVER struck me as a rapist. I dont think he needs to force himself on a woman to have sex.

No idea about Kane specifically, but that's not what rape is always about e.g. Bill Cosby

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
No idea about Kane specifically, but that's not what rape is always about e.g. Bill Cosby
In Cosby's case, he did, in a sense force himself on the women. They were drugged so he could do whatever he wanted. (Or do I have the Cosby stuff wrong) Edited by HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (HuskyCaucasian @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
In Cosby's case, he did, in a sense force himself on the women. They were drugged so he could do whatever he wanted. (Or do I have the Cosby stuff wrong)

I guess I read your post as more "Kane could easily get laid whenever he wants, he doesn't need to rape anyone." Yeah, maybe he could, but that doesn't stop other famous people in the same situation from raping people.

QUOTE (HuskyCaucasian @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
In Cosby's case, he did, in a sense force himself on the women. They were drugged so he could do whatever he wanted. (Or do I have the Cosby stuff wrong)

His point is that rape typically is not, in a mental/emotional sense, about a desire for sex.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
Which basically means maybe he is guilty, maybe not, but the truth will probably never come out.

Apparently those media members have never heard of the NHLPA.

wow, i just got back on. i missed alot.

the main situation is everyone feels for the women and auto condemn the man.

but if it was consensual or not. the afterthought is what many men are hoping for. the evidence of vagina tearing or not.

the other part is the teasing of the lady, the point of no rtn. however the law say, when she say no, no is the final word the final straw.

kane doesn't need to do this, he can go and get a hooker.....

either way, i hope for the best.....

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
I guess I read your post as more "Kane could easily get laid whenever he wants, he doesn't need to rape anyone." Yeah, maybe he could, but that doesn't stop other famous people in the same situation from raping people.

Oh, i dont want to say he absolutely never would. It just doesn't strike me as a tactic he'd use. But, who knows. everything is on the table now.

I'm going to wait for the facts to come out to the extent they can, but I'll let it be said right away that I'm not about to contort myself so I can tell myself favorite team's star didn't commit a crime if that's what the record ultimately suggests

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
I'm going to wait for the facts to come out to the extent they can, but I'll let it be said right away that I'm not about to contort myself so I can tell myself favorite team's star didn't commit a crime if that's what the record ultimately suggests

^This

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)

I think everyone knows rape is wrong and if he actually did it then he deserves the correct punishment. However, nothing at this point suggest one way or the other no matter what the masses and media want to put out there for clicks.

QUOTE (HuskyCaucasian @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
I think the problem is proof of rape. Proof of sex is easy, proof that it was not consensual is hard, especially if it was a one-on-one situation with no one around.

Obviously we have no idea with this current case, but as Rock pointed out, it usually is a case of next morning regret. They get questioned, they point out how this can ruin the guy's life so they have to be really sure what they are claiming happened, happened, and usually it just goes away. If he did rape her, I hope they throw the book at him, or anyone who commits the crime. I am just saying most of the time, what happened is deemed to not be criminal.

Chicago Police (bless em) have a bit of an earned reputation for arbitrarily assigning priority to cases. I don't think there's a single police department in the country quite like the CPD. Wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo is handling this a lot differently than it would be here.