2015-16 NHL thread

And she went to his residence after they met at a nightclub. I've been married over a decade now but back in my day, if a girl willingly went to my house/apartment/place after meeting her that night, it usually meant sex was gonna happen...I don't think that's changed much.

If it's proven Kane totally raped that girl, obviously he should go to jail but she did go to his place, I mean come, common sense people.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Yep. It's a very difficult thing to actually prove in court (plus the rape victim has to be willing to put herself through the scrutiny she'll face at every step), and a lot of times charges might not even be brought because it'd be too hard to get a conviction.

Not to mention the court of public opinion where a significant amount of people who think that any time an athlete is accused, it is because she is a gold-digger.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
Not to mention the court of public opinion where a significant amount of people who think that any time an athlete is accused, it is because she is a gold-digger.

see: multiple posts in this quickly deteriorating thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
Just cause it is difficult to prove in court, doesn't mean we should ignore putting the heat on Kane. A lot of info still has to come out, but this stance of Kane is absolutely innocent seems rather crazy. None of us know anything and until people do, the only debatable fact goes back to Kane and why he'd even put himself in this situation to begin with. As Tony points out, he should have been smarter and given his position, he needs to be.

Sure, he deserves heat, but I was specifically referring to the legality of that type of case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)

The court of public opinion also labels a person a rapist any time they are accused. It works both ways and we are allowed to recognize both sides of that response.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
jesus christ no, going home with someone does not mean that you have to have sex with them

I said usually, not 'have to'...wow, am I wrong? Like 9 out of 10 times a girl went back to my apartment with me, I ended up having relations with her and I never forced, drugged or coerced them in any way. Goddam I must've underestimated my stud factor if that didn't happen with all you fellas :P

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
He didnt say that, he said it usually meant sex was going to happen.

Voluntarily going home with someone doesn't tell you whether that person later consented to having sex or not. She could have left with the intention of setting boundaries (3rd base only, not waving him home), she could have been too drunk to actually consent in the first place, she could have initially gone home with the intent of having sex but changed her mind. But it's still frequently used to discredit date rape victims.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
Voluntarily going home with someone doesn't tell you whether that person later consented to having sex or not. She could have left with the intention of setting boundaries (3rd base only, not waving him home), she could have been too drunk to actually consent in the first place, she could have initially gone home with the intent of having sex but changed her mind. But it's still frequently used to discredit date rape victims.

My guess is that if she set a 3rd base boundary before going home with Kane, then she wouldn't have been going home with Kane. He would have moved onto the next one. That is of course unless he is the new Cosby or Sharper, but I kind of doubt that. If he did rape her, I would assume it would be along of the lines of her changing her mind and him pleading until he finally got his way or her being too drunk to really know what's going on and Kane continuing. Of course if he assaulted her in any way he is a piece of s*** that should have the book thrown at him, but I just have a hard time believing that Kane is a rapist no matter what his history has been.

I think you are connecting his statement with a rape case a little too literally. He said in his experience usually sex was going to happen, not that she consented or that it has to happen, hes just stating his statistical experience.

Dude, I have had situations were a girl went home with me and we didn't go all the way. I just said that way more times than not it ended in sex, and I'm not an aggressive dude, like the type that badger a girl into sex, I'm laid back. And I never banged a girl who was way drunk or high. Tipsy, like who hasn't but I've never had a bad incident with a girl afterwards.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
I think you are connecting his statement with a rape case a little too literally. He said in his experience usually sex was going to happen, not that she consented or that it has to happen, hes just stating his statistical experience.

I agree. It reminds me of a time when I met a girl at a wedding and she ended up staying in my hotel room with me. She waited until we got to the hotel room to flat out tell she was on her period and wasn't going to have sex with me. Kind of irritated me because she obviously knew what I thought was going to happen back at the room judging by the way she flat out told me no sex before I attempted any sort of move. So what did we do? Laid on the bed watching tv until I took her home the next day.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

Yeah it's really more the point that "but she went home with him" is in the top 5 date rape excuses hall of fame. It doesn't matter if she chose to go to Kane's house. It says nothing about whether a rape or sexual assault occurred.

edit: but like gatnom pointed out above, we don't know much about this specific story yet. we don't even know what's alleged to have happened.

Edited by StrangeSox

Bottom line for me, even if he ran into someone falsely accusing him: Kane has power that goes beyond money. He will walk into a place and be the most interesting person in the room, people will want to go up and talk to him and want him to like him just because he is a great hockey player.

Kane has decided to use that power to have sex with lots of random women at bars. Not once in a while, but continuously. And he may run into women who naively just think it's cool they ran into a hockey player, and as night goes along and it's clear he wants to have sex with them, it may make them very uncomfortable to say no. That's why Patrick Kane is not like your random stories at a bar.

How long do any of us at Kanes age kept going to bars to try and meet women? Not going out with other groups of friends, but actually just trying to meet a stranger at a bar and hook up? The guys just a f***ing asshole. No matter what, he won't be anything more than that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
Bottom line for me, even if he ran into someone falsely accusing him: Kane has power that goes beyond money. He will walk into a place and be the most interesting person in the room, people will want to go up and talk to him and want him to like him just because he is a great hockey player.

Kane has decided to use that power to have sex with lots of random women at bars. Not once in a while, but continuously. And he may run into women who naively just think it's cool they ran into a hockey player, and as night goes along and it's clear he wants to have sex with them, it may make them very uncomfortable to say no. That's why Patrick Kane is not like your random stories at a bar.

How long do any of us at Kanes age kept going to bars to try and meet women? Not going out with other groups of friends, but actually just trying to meet a stranger at a bar and hook up? The guys just a f***ing asshole. No matter what, he won't be anything more than that.

Okay, and these women want to have sex with Kane because he is rich and famous. Why does that make him any worse than them? He's using his fame and fortune to get laid, they're using they're looks. If it's consensual, who cares? It's a win-win.

I live in a little town and trust me there are people of all ages and all walks of life at the bars looking to get laid. At the bar I most frequent, the bar sluts come out in full force a half hour or so before they close.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Okay, and these women want to have sex with Kane because he is rich and famous. Why does that make him any worse than them? He's using his fame and fortune to get laid, they're using they're looks. If it's consensual, who cares? It's a win-win.

It makes him stupid if he is continually exposing himself and his career to this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)

whether he is guilty or not, how many guys would wish to be in that position to pick up a lady for the night. that even goes to married ones as well.

that does not make him a arsehole but a man with raging hormones.... it is not anyone position to judge.

i will wait for the proof of the courts to decide to further express myself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
It makes him stupid if he is continually exposing himself and his career to this.

I don't think anybody is denying that. Obviously if he feels the need to get some strange he needs to be smarter about it and not just sleep with any random groupie he meets.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)

I live in a little town and trust me there are people of all ages and all walks of life at the bars looking to get laid. At the bar I most frequent, the bar sluts come out in full force a half hour or so before they close.

I'm not saying random sex is immoral, I'm saying him using his power for random sex instead of worthwhile goals people not in his status couldn't otherwise attain, and also compromising his family career and friends int he process, makes him a horrible human being.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
If they took her blood and there was alcohol and they dont find any signs of struggle or date rape drugs in Kane's house this is going to get thrown out regardless of what happened. I doubt there are any injuries on the girl that dictates rape.

no it doesn't this is what i mean by someone who thinks they know the answers and is totally wrong.

a women, regardless of age, regardless of sobriety, regardless of how much or howl little she has on, if she says no..... it mean NO!!!

this has been taken to and backup all the way to the supreme courts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
It is like he is a high school kid, and needs someone to teach him about making good decisions.

you got a point, but most times they will not learn until something like this.