2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)
It was a bad joke about how often outrage based words were being used in the last few posts.

Its like when you are out and rage against the machine comes on. You can't help but out rage the person next to you with dance moves...I mean, its an outrageous feeling.

Now this is a bad joke.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
It was a bad joke about how often outrage based words were being used in the last few posts.

well the words are now publicize in this thread, and i am talking about me. i did let my anger get the best of me. this is and was a debate on different point of views.

this is a sports forum, and pov usually don't changes and this site provides an opportunity to express it.

furthermore, i was going to pm ss25 to offer my apology.

this is a site to express opinions without being criticize for it. again at least for me.

now with hat in hand i leave

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
well the words are now publicize in this thread, and i am talking about me. i did let my anger get the best of me. this is and was a debate on different point of views.

this is a sports forum, and pov usually don't changes and this site provides an opportunity to express it.

furthermore, i was going to pm ss25 to offer my apology.

this is a site to express opinions without being criticize for it. again at least for me.

now with hat in hand i leave

You didn't do anything in bad taste, nor do you owe anyone an apology.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
I'm not outraged at all. I'd simply prefer to not be insulted for caring about how this affects Patrick Kane and the Blackhawks.

I also find it ironic how those feigning the outrage also tend to be the ones passing the most judgment upon everyone.

Apparently continuously judging others is one of the few actions that does not deserve their own condemnation.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 09:33 PM)
For as strongly as I feel about this situation, I don't think at this point it's wrong for any fan to ask the question "Ok, when does this start to affect the Blackhawks, the team I enjoy watching?"

It doesn't mean you are minimizing any situation, or don't have compassion for the victim, but yes, we all have a more heighten interest in all of this because of the Blackhawk connection. I think it's perfectly find to ask the question.

To be honest, I'm almost shocked that it isn't being discussed more, considering the Hawks just won the Cup especially.

Imagine if this was Tom Brady. Do we really think no one would be speculating on the future of the Patriots and Brady's career?

One thing I would question is exactly how much of this, even if he isn't charged, are the Blackhawks willing to put up with? You had the cab incident. You had the incident in Madison. Now this. I know, we all pick up girls and bring them home at 4 AM, but why doesn't this stuff happen to Toews or Hossa? Even Tiger Woods? I just wonder, even if they pass on prosecuting this one if the Blackhawks say at some point, we can't wait for the next one. If he grows up, he grows up, but decide to take what they can get for his services.

On one hand, nobody should realistically be expected to start a rape victims/crisis center, etc.

On the other hand, it's simply impossible to avoid discussing the potential impact on your favorite hockey team's future.

And, naturally, if you did start a charity...someone would be quick to point out men shouldn't be actively involved in rape outreach.

Starting to almost agree with Trump about ONE thing. This political correctness thing is getting out of hand. Changing the name of the Jefferson-Jackson dinner? C'mon. It's to the point where there's no longer the possibility for real discourse in society...it's just a "gotcha" game to express outrage in the name of sensitivity, to the point where everything actually becomes desensitized.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
To be honest, I'm almost shocked that it isn't being discussed more, considering the Hawks just won the Cup especially.

Imagine if this was Tom Brady. Do we really think no one would be speculating on the future of the Patriots and Brady's career?

I'm still outraged he left a pregnant Bridget Moynahan for Giselle Bundchen.

Boo! Boo! Boo!

I think it's fair to wonder what's going to happen to the Blachawks, but it's important to keep things in perspective. The more you focus on how the case affects your hobby, the more you may develop a rooting interest that is unrelated to what the right outcome is. You can follow it from a Blackhawks-centric point of view without letting that happen, but you have to be cognizant of it.

As a fan, I hope Patrick didn't rape anybody and that this is somehow a misunderstanding. That's good for the Blackhawks goose and good for the society gander. What I don't want to do is in any way enable a rapist to go unpunished because I want my favorite hockey team to have one of its best players. I have to consciously remind myself that I am biased in favor of Patrick because I want to root for the Blackhawks without experiencing cognitive dissonance. When the Sox traded for Brett Myers, I had to struggle to figure out if I was seeing his domestic violence situation in a very nuanced way because that's how it really was or if it was because I wanted to be able to cheer for him.

There's a reason things like the Ray Rice situation developed some level of consensus. Once we saw him punch his fiance, even people who liked Ray Rice couldn't pretend that he didn't punch her. There were obviously a small group of people who don't give a damn whether he punches somebody, but for reasonable people there wasn't any room for interpretation. Well Patrick wasn't on tape as far as we know so I have to battle the fact that my mind will want to imagine him doing no wrong or at least less wrong than what he may be alleged to have done.

So if months from now we're looking at a certain rape conviction for Kane, I'll be intensely interested in the contractual and cap implications. For now, I'm not uninterested in those topics but there are more pertinent things, like finding out what actually happened.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)

i like to think that the hawks fans are a little more thoughtful, educated than most. i also believe that the hawks fans was waiting and not running like a chicken without a head.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
I think it's fair to wonder what's going to happen to the Blachawks, but it's important to keep things in perspective. The more you focus on how the case affects your hobby, the more you may develop a rooting interest that is unrelated to what the right outcome is. You can follow it from a Blackhawks-centric point of view without letting that happen, but you have to be cognizant of it.

As a fan, I hope Patrick didn't rape anybody and that this is somehow a misunderstanding. That's good for the Blackhawks goose and good for the society gander. What I don't want to do is in any way enable a rapist to go unpunished because I want my favorite hockey team to have one of its best players. I have to consciously remind myself that I am biased in favor of Patrick because I want to root for the Blackhawks without experiencing cognitive dissonance. When the Sox traded for Brett Myers, I had to struggle to figure out if I was seeing his domestic violence situation in a very nuanced way because that's how it really was or if it was because I wanted to be able to cheer for him.

There's a reason things like the Ray Rice situation developed some level of consensus. Once we saw him punch his fiance, even people who liked Ray Rice couldn't pretend that he didn't punch her. There were obviously a small group of people who don't give a damn whether he punches somebody, but for reasonable people there wasn't any room for interpretation. Well Patrick wasn't on tape as far as we know so I have to battle the fact that my mind will want to imagine him doing no wrong or at least less wrong than what he may be alleged to have done.

So if months from now we're looking at a certain rape conviction for Kane, I'll be intensely interested in the contractual and cap implications. For now, I'm not uninterested in those topics but there are more pertinent things, like finding out what actually happened.

i disagree with the last paragraph. its like walk on quick sand. for the most part the truth of how guilty or innocent will come out in due time. on the legal side of due time.

while i am not caring at this time, i will when the verdict or the investigation uncovers, i am more concern with the future of the this season. maybe i am walking the dangerous grounds of in sensitivity of not caring of the whole picture. i am not, it will be taken care of and address in due time. how will this affect the hawks now, how does this affect if kane can't travel, plus the hole of the team still needs to be address.

this is a hockey thread for the hawks, i am talking about the 2015-2016 blackhawks.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
i like to think that the hawks fans are a little more thoughtful, educated than most. i also believe that the hawks fans was waiting and not running like a chicken without a head.

Lol why do you think Hawks fans are more thoughtful and educated than most fans? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Chicago sports everything fan, but that a very homer comment.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
I'm still outraged he left a pregnant Bridget Moynahan for Giselle Bundchen.

Boo! Boo! Boo!

i like to think that i really don't look or dwell on these things, but for me, who cares.

i still maintain, there are those who like these things. i say good for them.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
Lol why do you think Hawks fans are more thoughtful and educated than most fans? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Chicago sports everything fan, but that a very homer comment.

i just do.....

fans on other sites want to hang kane and persecute him, while others are calling her a tramp etc...

i always maintain the the sox fans are what i said, b/c we can see the bullcrap being shoveled at us. the fans are a group of show me.....

lastly b/c those who have responded have come from the sox fan based.

also remember, this is my opinion.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)

In the old days, sure. But as the bandwagon has expanded, not as much so.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
One thing I would question is exactly how much of this, even if he isn't charged, are the Blackhawks willing to put up with? You had the cab incident. You had the incident in Madison. Now this. I know, we all pick up girls and bring them home at 4 AM, but why doesn't this stuff happen to Toews or Hossa? Even Tiger Woods? I just wonder, even if they pass on prosecuting this one if the Blackhawks say at some point, we can't wait for the next one. If he grows up, he grows up, but decide to take what they can get for his services.

Uhh....

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
i just do.....

fans on other sites want to hang kane and persecute him, while others are calling his a tramp etc...

i always maintain the the sox fans are what i said, b/c we can see the bullcrap being shoveled at us. the fans are a group of show me.....

lastly b/c those who have responded have come from the sox fan based.

also remember, this is my opinion.

Well yea, of course. But if it is their own player, then i bet the tune changes

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)

The last sentence is interesting to me.

Why is what happened "more pertinent?"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
In the old days, sure. But as the bandwagon has expanded, not as much so.

interesting, i would also add the age of the internet and the ability to look up things. to help form a better opinion.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
interesting, i would also add the age of the internet and the ability to look up things. to help form a better opinion.

The thing is Kane is a star. If it were Bryan Bickell or some other Hawk punching bag or someone from another team, is there really any doubt many feelings would be different?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
The last sentence is interesting to me.

Why is what happened "more pertinent?"

Well, there are a couple of reasons. First, there is just the issue of putting the cart before the horse. Talking about the salary cap is leaping ahead of several mysteries: what happened that night, what will come of the legal side of things, and what the league or team will do. All of those things depend on one another. Knowing more about what happened will give insight into each of the following steps in the process and is probably the order in which we find out. At this point, our speculation about Kane's contract will have as much structural integrity as a house of cards.

The second reason is the moral decision-making we have to do. The legal outcome of the investigation will of course be in large part determined by "the truth," but we know through experience that there is nothing nearing a guarantee that justice is done. That's just how the world works, for better or worse. The legal system tries to err on the side of innocence, procedural minutiae can become big factors, and there is of course the looming potential for a settlement that can be an attempt to hide the facts from view. One of my priorities as a fan is to be able to figure out what I think of this situation so I can interpret developments properly. If I think Kane is victim to a shakedown, I'm not going to support punishment. If I think Kane is a criminal, I'll be upset if he is unpunished.