When is the last time an NL player got better with Sox?

caulfield12

This year, we have Samardzija, LaRoche, Duke and Bonifacio all struggling to various degrees. Dan Jennings ,as well.

Everyone remembers Dunn in 2011, and Jake Peavy for most of his time with the Sox.

Is it just bad luck, bad scouting or there really is a signicant difference between the two leagues?

Thinking back, it feels like only DBacks (Javy V., Edwin Jackson, Quentin and Eaton) have at least held their own in Chicago...along with the Cubans.

The only other examples I could think of were Pods coming over from the Brewers, and Thome from the Phils.

What gives?

It seems this trend goes back a ways, even to Steve Sax and Tim Raines when he first left the Expos.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
This year, we have Samardzija, LaRoche, Duke and Bonifacio all struggling to various degrees.

Everyone remembers Dunn in 2011, and Jake Peavy for most of his time with the Sox.

Is it just bad luck, bad scouting or there really is a signicant difference between the two leagues?

Thinking back, it feels like only DBacks (Javy V., Edwin Jackson, Quentin and Eaton) have at least held their own in Chicago...along with the Cubans.

The only other examples I could think of were Pods coming over from the Brewers, and Thome from the Phils.

What gives?

It seems this trend goes back a ways, even to Steve Sax and Tim Raines when he first left the Expos.

I think so. There is probably more talent in the AL but it seems the NL plays a better team game. You have to be able to catch the baseball and run the bases in the NL.

Jake Peavy was overrated but Sox fans could buy into his talk. Outside of two seasons he's not half the pitcher Mark B. was.

I don't see how Javy and Jackson held their own. They fit the Sox profile of mental midgets.

I thought Dunn would adjust to AL pitching after one season but he didn't. That's why I can give LaRoche a free pass this year.

I'm not a fan of acquiring NL veteran players unless you are getting a Puljols type player. I have no problem if they are very young but Davidson blows that theory. So far it hasn't worked.

I also have a theory we get too many players from organizations that are not consistent at winning. We have more choke than clutch on this team. It doesn't seem there's any mental toughness. Stink spreads. In the 2005 postseason you saw clutch from everyone.

I already included Podsednik.

Edwin Jackson was terrible in Arizona and pitched quite well for Cooper. He hasn't been as dominant since.

Peavy won the 2007 Cy Young...how much of his struggles were the AL (see Tigers) and how much the injuries, hard to say. Definitely disappointing overall.

And even Davidson and Vizcaino blow the acquire all DBacks theory.

Juan Uribe comg over from the Rockies for Miles would be another.

Seems we need to stay in the NL West for our talent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)
I already included Podsednik.

Edwin Jackson was terrible in Arizona and pitched quite well for Cooper. He hasn't been as dominant since.

Peavy won the 2007 Cy Young...how much of his struggles were the AL (see Tigers) and how much the injuries, hard to say. Definitely disappointing overall.

And even Davidson and Vizcaino blow the acquire all DBacks theory.

Juan Uribe comg over from the Rockies for Miles would be another.

Seems we need to stay in the NL West for our talent.

I still like Uribe. He's always on winning teams.

I remember Steve Rosenbloom saying Kenny couldn't acquire enough ex Royals and ex Indians which were losing organizations.

They need to get scouts and instructors from the Cards.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 12:33 AM)

I remember Steve Rosenbloom saying Kenny couldn't acquire enough ex Royals and ex Indians which were losing organizations.

See post from two years ago in The Diamond Club....bumped it

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 07:33 AM)

excellent, thought process. i agree, they needed to increase their scouting dept, esp if they will not relieve certain current management personnel. i would also add some of the scout from the Oak org. with a limited budget, they always seemed to identified key moves each season.

yup, scouts from the cards and oak.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 05:14 AM)
excellent, thought process. i agree, they needed to increase their scouting dept, esp if they will not relieve certain current management personnel. i would also add some of the scout from the Oak org. with a limited budget, they always seemed to identified key moves each season.

yup, scouts from the cards and oak.

Don't forget the Rays and the Twins...

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 02:33 AM)

Jermaine Dye and Jim Thome worked out pretty well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 07:08 AM)
Geoff Blum? Juan Uribe? Jim Thome was decent. So were Dustin Hermanson and Cliff Politte.

Blum hardly played for us at all...

Hermanson didn't last more than one season...same with Politte, basically.

Another couple of examples would be Juan Pierre and Mark Kotsay...although Mark had spent more time with the A's, I think he came over from the Padres and had been in the NL awhile.

Rob Mackowiak as well....(I know, don't get Balta started).

Andruw Jones was about as expected.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
Rob Mackowiak as well....(I know, don't get Balta started).

Andruw Jones was about as expected.

Mackowiak actually had a decently solid season, especially was on fire with the bat in the first half. However, I still can't stop the nightmares about fly balls to him in CF.

Chris Young, Chris Carter, Michael Morse (peds case)....Daniel Hudson while it lasted. Miguel Olivo lasted for quite awhile but never quite lived up to his potential. Sweeney was good enough as a part-timer to get a decent offer from the Cubs but never lived up to Hawk's spring training hype.

Of course, Nick Swisher couldn't have been more of a disaster with us and did fine with the Yankees and that short porch, well enough to get another sizable contract.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
Chris Young, Chris Carter, Michael Morse (peds case)....Daniel Hudson while it lasted. Miguel Olivo lasted for quite awhile but never quite lived up to his potential. Sweeney was good enough as a part-timer to get a decent offer from the Cubs but never lived up to Hawk's spring training hype.

Of course, Nick Swisher couldn't have been more of a disaster with us and did fine with the Yankees and that short porch, well enough to get another sizable contract.

It seems like the crap players we get rid of seem to do quite well against this team like Swisher and remember Wilson Betamit.