Relievers moving or moves coming?

BamaDoc

Something to think about. We have Jennings and Albers completing rehab assignments. Matt Lindstrom was awful at the start of this year but now in his last 8 games 10.2 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 9ks. Some others with solid numbers as well. Several teams are looking for bullpen help and we look like we may have a surplus. Guerra could go back down maybe Carrol or someone could get moved. Just hopeful we could get an asset from a surplus. I realize no earth shaking return is likely but may be first place something happens.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
I would try to sell high on Putnam at the deadline. Might be able to get something of value for him.

And if someone would take on Duke's contract, I'd definitely let him go for the salary relief.

Agreed on Putnam.

With Duke, the Sox finally have a usuful LH reliever. Yeah, he's overpaid a bit, but we'll be right back without a reliable lefty next year. Or else they'll just have to sign some ther lefty to a spendy deal Cuz that's the way FA works.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
Agreed on Putnam.

With Duke, the Sox finally have a usuful LH reliever. Yeah, he's overpaid a bit, but we'll be right back without a reliable lefty next year. Or else they'll just have to sign some ther lefty to a spendy deal Cuz that's the way FA works.

I'm not sure we have a "reliable" lefty right now...and "sign someone else to a spendy deal" is exactly how we wound up with that current lefty of questionable reliability.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
I'm not sure we have a "reliable" lefty right now...and "sign someone else to a spendy deal" is exactly how we wound up with that current lefty of questionable reliability.

What else do you suggest? It costs money to sign decent players.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/6219/zach-duke

If they can't find a single reliever who can limit lefties to under an 800 ops for under $5 million they're doomed anyway.

Jennings was known for reverse splits vs lefties or at least not destroying them so if someone was looking for a lefty I would be happy to oblige and send them him and try Philips or someone else as a LOOGY.

Edited by BamaDoc

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
What else do you suggest? It costs money to sign decent players.

1. Dump as many of the guys we have right now as possible to come up with that money.

2. Actually develop some of our own players to fill a role or two.

3. Then use the money saved in step 1 to actually sign guys who can make a difference when we have a roster around them.

4. Do a better job of scouting players before we sign them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
1. Dump as many of the guys we have right now as possible to come up with that money.

3. Then use the money saved in step 1 to actually sign guys who can make a difference when we have a roster around them.

Excellent take! That's exactly what the Sox should do. I wish we'd dump a batch of players before we start playing the Cubs. That will be yet another slap in our faces as fans this season, our performance against them unless somehow the bats get hot for those games.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)

I don't think that is an issue with this organization. So far the they produce the same results with #3 because of #4.

#2 is also a failure of #4.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
I don't think that is an issue with this organization. So far the they produce the same results with #3 because of #4.

#2 is also a failure of #4.

Well, it's an "issue" until they are able to trade some of these guys. Until, for example, they get rid of some of these contracts they signed last offseason, I'll expect that they'll think "oh we can just retool this on the fly this offseason" and then fail mightily while doing so....again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
Well, it's an "issue" until they are able to trade some of these guys. Until, for example, they get rid of some of these contracts they signed last offseason, I'll expect that they'll think "oh we can just retool this on the fly this offseason" and then fail mightily while doing so....again.

Exactly. Unless we get rid of all the bums (in baseball sense) we acquired this offseason, the team will reek again next year. Simple retooling won't work. It's time for a huge firesale.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
Exactly. Unless we get rid of all the bums (in baseball sense) we acquired this offseason, the team will reek again next year. Simple retooling won't work. It's time for a huge firesale.

"This will be the year Avi steps up and carries this offense and these guys can't be this bad next year. If we just fill in 1 or 2 holes we'll be right back on top!"

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)
Why Putnam? Dude has absolutely elite stuff. Feel like we'd be selling extremely low? The Feek, agree?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
Okay, so looked it up. Putnam is striking out 14 per 9!!!!! Holy s***, has to be by far best I'm the AL.

Yeah, definitely wait until his era is out of the high 3s

Selling low? Do you really think he'll maintain a 14 K/9 rate going forward? He's striking out guys at an incredibly elite level, his value right now should be incredibly high regardless of his ERA. He's a guy you definitely move in the next 30 days. Him & Shark are probably our best two trade chips.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
Selling low? Do you really think he'll maintain a 14 K/9 rate going forward? He's striking out guys at an incredibly elite level, his value right now should be incredibly high regardless of his ERA. He's a guy you definitely move in the next 30 days. Him & Shark are probably our best two trade chips.

Exactly. Teams in playoff contention need a reliever who throws plenty of ground-balls and can strikeout quite a few hitters.

Putnam should bring back a solid prospect or two if the Sox decide to trade him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)

No I don't think he maintains that at all. It's impossible. But like I said his stuff is elite. Watching him pitch, he should be one of the elite relievers in baseball. He was last year.

His era and whip are very high to expect any great return for him. It'd be selling low.