More evidence of Chicago media turning on Ventura

caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 06:35 AM)
One to six over .500 is not playing well when you're competing for the division. They slow down and get "tired" arms and malaise quite often.

2005 was 68-35 (.661) April-July.

Why didn't this happen to the Twins and Tigers?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Why didn't this happen to the Twins and Tigers?

Because the Sox don't hire smart strong managers that hire smart strong assistants.

I love Harold Baines as a former-Sox player, but he is not a vocal motivator, nor is he an offensive genius.

It's a shame Robin over achieved in his first year as manager ... He wouldn't be around this year if he didn't. No real point of bringing in someone new/giving Coop or someone else the reigns for the rest of year. Not going to right the ship or fix anything. This year is what it is at this point. Trade Shark, bring up Johnson and Montas and see what you have. Bring back up Micah and see what he's got. Play Tyler and see if he can't be successful. Get rid of people who aren't going to be around next year. Flowers, Beckham, etc

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
It's a shame Robin over achieved in his first year as manager ... He wouldn't be around this year if he didn't. No real point of bringing in someone new/giving Coop or someone else the reigns for the rest of year. Not going to right the ship or fix anything. This year is what it is at this point. Trade Shark, bring up Johnson and Montas and see what you have. Bring back up Micah and see what he's got. Play Tyler and see if he can't be successful. Get rid of people who aren't going to be around next year. Flowers, Beckham, etc

Great post. I think all your suggestions are good ones.

As far as Robin, he's very calm, boring which the team "needed" after Ozzie. The old cliche is you have a fiery nutjob like Ozzie, then you go with the boring calm guy. Our next manager will probably be a Sabes guy, just have a feeling. Probably an up and coming Madden type if there are any. Personally I'd bring back Ozzie with a GREAT bench coach in case Ozzie implodes again. Have all sorts of stipulations in the contract that Ozzie must muzzle himself or get fired/fined. Any controversial statements about Castro, etc., a $50,000 fine each time. Jerry decides on whether the statement is fine-worthy.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)

Flowers will be around as long as Chris Sale likes him. Folks should get used to it.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Flowers will be around as long as Chris Sale likes him. Folks should get used to it.

I really wish we could prove that he's actually good for our pitchers, because he sure looks like he sucks at absolutely everything related to baseball.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
I really wish we could prove that he's actually good for our pitchers, because he sure looks like he sucks at absolutely everything related to baseball.

Since I changed my avatar in celebration of the Tyler Flowers Annual Hot Streak, his wRC+ is 36. :(

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
Great post. I think all your suggestions are good ones.

As far as Robin, he's very calm, boring which the team "needed" after Ozzie. The old cliche is you have a fiery nutjob like Ozzie, then you go with the boring calm guy. Our next manager will probably be a Sabes guy, just have a feeling. Probably an up and coming Madden type if there are any. Personally I'd bring back Ozzie with a GREAT bench coach in case Ozzie implodes again. Have all sorts of stipulations in the contract that Ozzie must muzzle himself or get fired/fined. Any controversial statements about Castro, etc., a $50,000 fine each time. Jerry decides on whether the statement is fine-worthy.

You don't say?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)
You don't say?

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/donald-trump-john-...4576220850.html

This article points out exactly why everyone would hate that version of "toothless" Guillen...you can't love those types for being outspoken and then neuter them. Ozzie might have been better off doubling down on his Castro comments instead. Od course, it's easier to be outspoken as a billionaire without a boss.

As we sit here on decision Monday with the trade deadline looming, and ample new threads popping up, discussing buy or sell, remaining schedules and return for selloff etc. I thought that this one, the closest RV bashing thread at hand, very much indeed needed another bump.

With merely Lexi, Melky a 2B and Eaton playing with a level of competence expected all along (but with LaRoche corpulent, Abreu bad-hand powerless, Avi mediocre, Gillaspie having cratered all-around, Flowers less lucky, etc, etc. ) the team is, in fact, competitive. Our division is tough, but the main advantages our ALCentral opponents seem to have on us are psychological/strategic. I'll concede the Royals are significantly better - they're the best team in the AL. We're over 500 against the rest of the AL and NL.

Before I continue, let me say this on a sober-as-a-heart-attack Monday morning: There is not a trace of a shadow of a doubt in my mind that our beloved Sox would be in a buying position if they had a better Manager and Coaching Staff in 2015.

The standards have changed in the 5 team format - massively flawed teams WILL make the playoffs this year and others. I have never bought the argument that we're a bad team and a long, long ways away. It seems to suit the "see, we sucked all along " narrative from a few that feel the need to feel correct. The fact is that Toronto and the rest of the contenders with massive 2-3 game leads on the Sox know that they're chasing a (for now) fraudulent Twins club. This Molitor could be a good manager. :o But, back to the WC teams we're chasing - they're all massively flawed, too. Toronto, with a terrific offense, is the best of the bunch, and MB56 (all due respect) is their ACE? Dickey is their two, and I'm not sure he matches up well against 4's/emergencies on other playoff clubs. And, the BEST teams don't always win or even get to the WS, not by a long a shot. Even with the added importance of winning the division, we see time and again that getting in the 10 team tourney is most paramount (Pirate fans may disagree, granted)

I've been preaching for months that the margins in this game are infinitesimal, and right now, that margin is 2 games. Easily the difference between competent managing/coaching and Robin and Co's active badness. We've accumulated more baserunning badness in 95 games than any team ever has (since they've been keeping the stats) in a full 162 season. Correcting that alone could have made enough of a difference, not the mention the failure to platoon LaRoche, Zombie-level April energy, or the countless strategic blunders that we don't need to rehash.

All this said, we are woeful offensively, and if we can get a serviceable bat (preferably) or otherwise real value for Shark and others, they should be dealt - such is the position we're in. At any rate, it is imperative to find out if EJ and Micah are parts of next year's equation. There is plenty of room for CS, TS, MJ, and AR to share the AB's of 2B, SS and 3B the rest of the way in '15, and CS should also get a few games in LF. The chief goal needs to be to find out what we have for '16 in real games, against real, trying-their-best competition - spring training is illusory, but I digress.

Look around the league at who's leading their divisions: Are Girardi's Yankees really 5 games better than that division? I don't think so. Bochy holds the Giants together with dust tape and baling wire. Scioscia has the respect of his players without question. Say what you will about Yost, but he had has guys honed to a fine edge of preparedness to start this season - the opposite of our staff. Uber-talented Wash and Det seem to be under-achieving - managing?

Two or three lousy games. As a guy who's never felt that Managing/Coaching were a gigantic part of the formula, I'll close my longest-ever post with an attempt at Yogiesque wisdom.

Managing matters enough to matter.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

Almost forgot. What is Dozier doing bunting in a tie game in the 5th, when you have a guy at second and nobody out? Not only is Dozier our best hitter, but you needed about 5 more runs with our bullpen. It would be nice though if Dozier could have had a professional at bat and moved the runner over. Thanks for the bullpen help Ryan, we could have got Clippard for jack squat...

There have been so many base running errors by this team it has reached the level of being an embarassment for the coaches. A little league team can show more discipline on the base paths. The pitchers have lost their ability to hit their spots as well.

And with bases loaded down 8-3 in the 7th, why wouldn't you have Hunter with 350-some career homers pinch-hitting for singles/doubles hitter Nunez?

Did I just read that correctly?

"What's with Sano? So far to me he hasn't shown much. When will he start hitting home runs?"

Are you truly serious? You mean beyond the .300 average, .429 Obp, .522 SLG and .951 OPS.

Might want to find a new sport if these are poor numbers. We could just give up on him and sign Adam Dunn, right?

62 games to go with a disproportionate 13 versus the Tribe. If they can go 8-5 against the lowly Tribe and a modest 25-24 against everyone else they would finish 85-77 which may be good enough for the wildcard, and, at the very least, keep them in the race until the very end.

startribune.com/sports game comments

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:10 AM)
Almost forgot. What is Dozier doing bunting in a tie game in the 5th, when you have a guy at second and nobody out? Not only is Dozier our best hitter, but you needed about 5 more runs with our bullpen. It would be nice though if Dozier could have had a professional at bat and moved the runner over. Thanks for the bullpen help Ryan, we could have got Clippard for jack squat...

There have been so many base running errors by this team it has reached the level of being an embarassment for the coaches. A little league team can show more discipline on the base paths. The pitchers have lost their ability to hit their spots as well.

And with bases loaded down 8-3 in the 7th, why wouldn't you have Hunter with 350-some career homers pinch-hitting for singles/doubles hitter Nunez?

Did I just read that correctly?

"What's with Sano? So far to me he hasn't shown much. When will he start hitting home runs?"

Are you truly serious? You mean beyond the .300 average, .429 Obp, .522 SLG and .951 OPS.

Might want to find a new sport if these are poor numbers. We could just give up on him and sign Adam Dunn, right?

62 games to go with a disproportionate 13 versus the Tribe. If they can go 8-5 against the lowly Tribe and a modest 25-24 against everyone else they would finish 85-77 which may be good enough for the wildcard, and, at the very least, keep them in the race until the very end.

startribune.com/sports game comments

13 vs. Cleveland is an insane amount. I bet Francona's boys can go 6-7 or 7-6.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
As we sit here on decision Monday with the trade deadline looming, and ample new threads popping up, discussing buy or sell, remaining schedules and return for selloff etc. I thought that this one, the closest RV bashing thread at hand, very much indeed needed another bump.

With merely Lexi, Melky a 2B and Eaton playing with a level of competence expected all along (but with LaRoche corpulent, Abreu bad-hand powerless, Avi mediocre, Gillaspie having cratered all-around, Flowers less lucky, etc, etc. ) the team is, in fact, competitive. Our division is tough, but the main advantages our ALCentral opponents seem to have on us are psychological/strategic. I'll concede the Royals are significantly better - they're the best team in the AL. We're over 500 against the rest of the AL and NL.

Before I continue, let me say this on a sober-as-a-heart-attack Monday morning: There is not a trace of a shadow of a doubt in my mind that our beloved Sox would be in a buying position if they had a better Manager and Coaching Staff in 2015.

The standards have changed in the 5 team format - massively flawed teams WILL make the playoffs this year and others. I have never bought the argument that we're a bad team and a long, long ways away. It seems to suit the "see, we sucked all along " narrative from a few that feel the need to feel correct. The fact is that Toronto and the rest of the contenders with massive 2-3 game leads on the Sox know that they're chasing a (for now) fraudulent Twins club. This Molitor could be a good manager. :o But, back to the WC teams we're chasing - they're all massively flawed, too. Toronto, with a terrific offense, is the best of the bunch, and MB56 (all due respect) is their ACE? Dickey is their two, and I'm not sure he matches up well against 4's/emergencies on other playoff clubs. And, the BEST teams don't always win or even get to the WS, not by a long a shot. Even with the added importance of winning the division, we see time and again that getting in the 10 team tourney is most paramount (Pirate fans may disagree, granted)

I've been preaching for months that the margins in this game are infinitesimal, and right now, that margin is 2 games. Easily the difference between competent managing/coaching and Robin and Co's active badness. We've accumulated more baserunning badness in 95 games than any team ever has (since they've been keeping the stats) in a full 162 season. Correcting that alone could have made enough of a difference, not the mention the failure to platoon LaRoche, Zombie-level April energy, or the countless strategic blunders that we don't need to rehash.

All this said, we are woeful offensively, and if we can get a serviceable bat (preferably) or otherwise real value for Shark and others, they should be dealt - such is the position we're in. At any rate, it is imperative to find out if EJ and Micah are parts of next year's equation. There is plenty of room for CS, TS, MJ, and AR to share the AB's of 2B, SS and 3B the rest of the way in '15, and CS should also get a few games in LF. The chief goal needs to be to find out what we have for '16 in real games, against real, trying-their-best competition - spring training is illusory, but I digress.

Look around the league at who's leading their divisions: Are Girardi's Yankees really 5 games better than that division? I don't think so. Bochy holds the Giants together with dust tape and baling wire. Scioscia has the respect of his players without question. Say what you will about Yost, but he had has guys honed to a fine edge of preparedness to start this season - the opposite of our staff. Uber-talented Wash and Det seem to be under-achieving - managing?

Two or three lousy games. As a guy who's never felt that Managing/Coaching were a gigantic part of the formula, I'll close my longest-ever post with an attempt at Yogiesque wisdom.

Managing matters enough to matter.

for me, i really hate to be a killjoy..... but let me ask this one question, if the sox make the wc, their first team will be whom in the playoff???

all teams are positional themselves with some great trades. so i will be very pragmatic in my saying this. maybe it is my natual hard hardheadedness that making me question this.

the sox are in one unbelievable hot streak. the hitting is out of this world. sanchez, melky saladino .... so what will be everyone opinion will be when the hot uhhh hot streak ends, as it normally does. what is the real identity or this team.

the hot streak will end. i really hope it doesn't. i truly want to see another ws ring. so the window of opportunity is now, like the rangers who mortgage their future, the sox needs to add pieces or ........ i will let you finish the the "or" part.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:54 AM)
for me, i really hate to be a killjoy..... but let me ask this one question, if the sox make the wc, their first team will be whom in the playoff???

all teams are positional themselves with some great trades. so i will be very pragmatic in my saying this. maybe it is my natual hard hardheadedness that making me question this.

the sox are in one unbelievable hot streak. the hitting is out of this world. sanchez, melky saladino .... so what will be everyone opinion will be when the hot uhhh hot streak ends, as it normally does. what is the real identity or this team.

the hot streak will end. i really hope it doesn't. i truly want to see another ws ring. so the window of opportunity is now, like the rangers who mortgage their future, the sox needs to add pieces or ........ i will let you finish the the "or" part.

at LAA or Houston for a one-game, sudden death playoff like the Royals/A's last year

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
So Sale vs Garrett Richards or Keuchel? Gimme LA

It's Garrett Richards or Keuchel vs. the Sox offense.

The only way that they are getting to the WC game or farther is if the hitting doesn't go in a massive slump again.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
Pretty good chance if we make the one game wild card that Sale wouldn't be pitching it.

Explain this.... because Stone and Hawk were saying how tough the Sox would be in a 1 game wild card because the opposition would have to face sale.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)
Explain this.... because Stone and Hawk were saying how tough the Sox would be in a 1 game wild card because the opposition would have to face sale.

What if Sale started in the 162nd game or even the 161st game, bottom line, Sale wouldn't be able to pitch because he wouldn't have any rest. It isn't like their are 4 or 5 days in between the 162nd game and the wild card play in games.

What if Sale started in the 162nd game or even the 161st game, bottom line, Sale wouldn't be able to pitch because he wouldn't have any rest. It isn't like their are 4 or 5 days in between the 162nd game and the wild card play in games.

I know there is a lot of season left that could mess this up, but Quintana started game 99 last night and Sale is starting game 100 tonight so that would put them on pace to start games 159 and 160 which would give mean either Quintana starts the WC game on 4 days rest or Sale starts on 3 days rest.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
I know there is a lot of season left that could mess this up, but Quintana started game 99 last night and Sale is starting game 100 tonight so that would put them on pace to start games 159 and 160 which would give mean either Quintana starts the WC game on 4 days rest or Sale starts on 3 days rest.

I don't know if its reasonable to speculate who will start a game over 2 months away, but its safe to assume the Sox wouldn't be in a position to set up their rotation for it.